2024-25 MBB/WBB schedule news

23 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I didn't say elite, we aren't ever getting those types of teams in Denton unless they are forced to come here like Virginia in the NIT. It's still a step up from the LSU Shreveports and Angelo States we've been scheduling. The bar is pretty low, which is sad.

You said “very good opponent”.  They are a name opponent, but not very good.  

We have had elite, Top 25 type opponents at the Pit.  We hosted LSU, Texas, and a #1 DePaul at home.  It can happen, but takes the effort. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, NT80 said:

We have had elite, Top 25 type opponents at the Pit.  We hosted LSU, Texas, and a #1 DePaul at home.  It can happen, but takes the effort. 

What do we have this year, four?  Election night, Thanksgiving weekend and over Christmas break.  Way to connect your team with the students and the community.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

I should have said decent, and yes at least well known. I'd still much rather play them as well as teams like New Mexico/WKU than some of the teams we've scheduled in the past.

When did Texas come the Denton? I was curious to when that was and couldn't find it listed.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I should have said decent, and yes at least well known. I'd still much rather play them as well as teams like New Mexico/WKU than some of the teams we've scheduled in the past.

When did Texas come the Denton? I was curious to when that was and couldn't find it listed.

I agree, I am totally fine with Oregon State.
Much better than most of our recent home games!

Texas came to the Super Pit in Jan. 1980...game photo below on the cover of the 1981 media guide.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

We had Texas in 1980....and I think 1981 as well. (And also Vic Trilli got Tom Penders to give us a game in Denton.....in '97?)

In 1980.....we were down 69-60 with 1:07 left....came back and tied the game in regulation (71-71) on a half court shot (by Pat Hicks). We won in overtime.  (This was before the 3 point shot, btw). 

By the way....I think we got two games out of Texas, back when Abe Lemons was their coach. At least one. And here's how we got those game(s): We had a great player named Fred Mitchell....played for Coach Blakely '75-'78. Fred's brother was a stud out of Amarillo...named Victor. Victor was committed to us. He wanted to get out of his commitment to go to UT. Coach Blakely got with Abe....and we agreed to free Victor....if Texas would give us a home game. (Like I said....I think we got two...but am not sure).  Anyway......long story short....Victor signed with Kansas. 

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, SUMG said:

We had Texas in 1980....and I think 1981 as well. (And also Vic Trilli got Tom Penders to give us a game in Denton.....in '97?)

In 1980.....we were down 69-60 with 1:07 left....came back and tied the game in regulation (71-71) on a half court shot (by Pat Hicks). We won in overtime.  (This was before the 3 point shot, btw). 

#6 on the Super Pit game attendance list....

6 UNT vs Texas January 17, 1980 8,100

IMG_0752.jpg.d8a45385338c6aa6ed06f17f1d06cafc.jpg

• Upvote 4

I believe we could technically schedule five more nonconference games since our MTE is only two games, I'm sure we'll only get four more though. Two more at home would put us at the standard 15 total for the year.

Can we finish the schedule without stooping down to D2 or NAIA level?

Let me repeat how disappointed I am there seems to be no interest from at least one of the parties in keeping the UTA series alive. The women already stopped playing them last year. Additionally, they aren't on the schedule for volleyball after we participated in their nonconference tournament in 2023. If the series isn't extended in softball, I will be worried there's some sort animosity between the schools.

So what about the NCAA Tournament auto qualifiers from the lower end conferences? Could we get teams like Stetson, Montana State, Longwood (probably not since we took one of their players), Oakland, Saint Peter's, Howard, Wagner, Samford, McNeese, or Grambling? I wouldn't even sweat agreeing to a home-and-home with a team like McNeese and Grambling since it'd be an easy road trip.

We seem to have an affinity for Mississippi Valley State, but if our only other option is NAIA/D2, then I'd be calling up their conference mates like Alcorn State and Jackson State who also schedule nonconference almost completely on the road.

• Upvote 2

On 8/17/2024 at 11:46 AM, Matt from A700 said:

I believe we could technically schedule five more nonconference games since our MTE is only two games, I'm sure we'll only get four more though. Two more at home would put us at the standard 15 total for the year.

Can we finish the schedule without stooping down to D2 or NAIA level?

Let me repeat how disappointed I am there seems to be no interest from at least one of the parties in keeping the UTA series alive. The women already stopped playing them last year. Additionally, they aren't on the schedule for volleyball after we participated in their nonconference tournament in 2023. If the series isn't extended in softball, I will be worried there's some sort animosity between the schools.

So what about the NCAA Tournament auto qualifiers from the lower end conferences? Could we get teams like Stetson, Montana State, Longwood (probably not since we took one of their players), Oakland, Saint Peter's, Howard, Wagner, Samford, McNeese, or Grambling? I wouldn't even sweat agreeing to a home-and-home with a team like McNeese and Grambling since it'd be an easy road trip.

We seem to have an affinity for Mississippi Valley State, but if our only other option is NAIA/D2, then I'd be calling up their conference mates like Alcorn State and Jackson State who also schedule nonconference almost completely on the road.

I refuse to believe we don't have the pull/name/ability to schedule with the AQs you listed, as well as some other teams. We really don't have the ability to schedule LA Tech or WKU? Either of those is an easy home and home deal.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2024 at 10:40 AM, Green Otaku said:

I refuse to believe we don't have the pull/name/ability to schedule with the AQs you listed, as well as some other teams. We really don't have the ability to schedule LA Tech or WKU? Either of those is an easy home and home deal.

Just for comparison to show how overall lame our OOC schedule is, here is the Memphis OOC schedule...

Memphis OOC schedule for hoops:

Memphis update #3:

11/4: Missouri

11/9: at UNLV

11/21: San Francisco (Chase Center)

11/25: UCONN (Maui)

11/26: Colorado/Michigan State (Maui)

11/27: TBA (Maui)

12/4: Louisiana Tech

12/8: Arkansas State

12/14: at Clemson

12/18: at Virginia

12/21: Mississippi State

12/28: Ole Miss

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Just for comparison to show how overall lame our OOC schedule is, here is the Memphis OOC schedule...

Memphis update #3:

Might I add......they have the sense to play Mizzou on November 4. Not on Election Night (when we're playing Evansville)

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 8/25/2024 at 11:55 PM, Matt from A700 said:

Didn't see this shared the other day. Looks like the new rivalry with Northern Iowa continues.

So if we win, do we get the winner of Utah State and St Bonaventure? It says bracket so I'm guessing it's like a small tournament. If so, I like it. All quality mid-majors.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

So if we win, do we get the winner of Utah State and St Bonaventure? It says bracket so I'm guessing it's like a small tournament. If so, I like it. All quality mid-majors.

That is correct. But I'm not sure if the winner of that second matchup would technically win any type of championship as it's only two games that weekend.

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

That is correct. But I'm not sure if the winner of that second matchup would technically win any type of championship as it's only two games that weekend.

Don't really care about the championship. Mostly care about Utah State finishing 38 and 18 in NET the past 2 seasons. St Bonaventure finished in the 80s last year but they play in a well respected conference. Either way, there's potential for 2 solid wins.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, NT80 said:

Women’s Basketball Announces Nonconference Slate

8/30/2024 11:00:00 AM | Women's Basketball

https://meangreensports.com/news/2024/8/30/womens-basketball-womens-basketball-announces-nonconference-slate

My thoughts:

I would take this as a men's schedule right now. No D-II or NAIA games. Notable teams we will play include Oregon and Houston. However, only one team on the schedule (at Santa Clara) had a winning record last season, so we will have the chance to stack wins and notch a few against P6 programs.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2024 at 11:53 AM, NT80 said:

Memphis update #3:

As soon as we get NT's reputation to Memphis's level, that will be possible.

Memphis's average home attendance last year 12,275 versus NT's 4132, which was the highest in decades for the Green

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 9/3/2024 at 12:40 PM, GrandGreen said:

As soon as we get NT's reputation to Memphis's level

No thanks!!!

@HitmenHoops
BREAKING: Memphis MBB staff members Jermaine Johnson, Jamie Rosser and Faragi Phillips are no longer with the program, per multiple sources.

This now marks seven coaches who have left the program this offseason for various reasons.
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 9/4/2024 at 10:05 PM, NT80 said:

No thanks!!!

@HitmenHoops
BREAKING: Memphis MBB staff members Jermaine Johnson, Jamie Rosser and Faragi Phillips are no longer with the program, per multiple sources.

This now marks seven coaches who have left the program this offseason for various reasons.

The question was why is NT not able to schedule the home opponents that Memphis does.  Do you actually think the loss of these coaches is going to significantly affect their attendance? 

The point is that Memphis' attendance is roughly 4 times what NT manages.   That allows Memphis to have a much better home schedule than NT. 

The loss of these coaches will only affect Memphis's attendance if they start losing a lot more games. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The question was why is NT not able to schedule the home opponents that Memphis does.  Do you actually think the loss of these coaches is going to significantly affect their attendance? 

The point is that Memphis' attendance is roughly 4 times what NT manages.   That allows Memphis to have a much better home schedule than NT. 

The loss of these coaches will only affect Memphis's attendance if they start losing a lot more games. 

I don't think name teams schedule Memphis because of their attendance nor avoid us because of attendance.  We have a history for showing up for name opponents.   

Memphis has more of a rouge history than we do; maybe they just want to play the "bad boys"?

• Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, NT80 said:

I don't think name teams schedule Memphis because of their attendance nor avoid us because of attendance.  We have a history for showing up for name opponents.   

Memphis has more of a rouge history than we do; maybe they just want to play the "bad boys"?

Their attendance matters because they make money enough to pay away teams guarantees, that is how oc scheduling  works. 

• Upvote 1