2024-25 MBB/WBB schedule news

If these dollar figures are correct.....it's very strange to say the least.

Just saw that UT is paying Delware State $110,000 and UAPB $105,000 to come to Austin. Apparently they won't play us even down there.....right?

So this is what the P6 gives us all. Crappy home OOC games....because they jack up the market, by overpaying schools like Del. State and UAPB, for guaranteed Ws. Teams that I am guessing.....no one cares to see in Austin, any more than we want to see MVSU in Denton.

So instead of interesting intra state OOC game....against us.......they play those guys.

And the thing I really don't get. Losing to us.....or SFA....or ACU.....or UTEP....isn't gonna hurt UT. They can go 18-12, 9-9 in league play....and still get into the Dance. We're a school....where we need to almost be perfect (great season or run the table at the tourney)....to make the NCAA tourney.

• Upvote 3
  • Pissed 1

We're getting closer... today the home/away opponents were announced for conference season. Tidbits:

• Home-and-home with Rice and UTSA! Not sure how the pattern works with 13 teams now, but this should be the case every year with these two schools. Last season we only played BOTH teams once.
  • Home-and-home with Wichita State as well! I went up to Wichita last year and despite it being over Winter Break, was still a great atmosphere. If the game in Denton is closer to spring and on a weekend, the AD should pump this game up to be our annual push for a 6-8,000 attendance event. Wichita will definitely bring some fans.
  • Don't know if it was intentional or not, but 2 games as well against UAB and FAU. Despite the intensity of the last five meetings, who knows if the fire will still be there against a whole new team and staff at FAU. But good for the conference to keep pushing the rivalry against UAB.
  • Only one game again against nearby Tulsa and Memphis. This season the locations are swapped. Meaning a trip to FedEx Forum.
  • Thank goodness we're not going to Charlotte this season.

• Upvote 4

Deserved separate post for women's pairings:

4 of the 6 teams the women's have home-and-home's with are schools the men only play once. But the ladies' home-and-home opponents are more regionalized. Memphis, Rice, Tulane, Tulsa, and Wichita State are played twice. Other big rivals UTSA are met in San Antonio, and UAB comes here.

• Upvote 2

Stuff like this....makes no sense:

We're going to High Point (27-9 last year) for a game. Was told...that we're not getting a return game. (just like we didn't from Boise and St. Mary's).

And yet.....Charlotte just signs a home and home with Utah State. (I'm guessing that's at least a 2000 mile trip?) Edit: Looked it up.......2,032 miles apart. 

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1

Charlotte is not a recent NIT champ.  And they lost int the first round of the AAC tournament.

Teams don't want to come to Denton and get their ass whipped.

We need to - and should - get a quality home schedule, but I get why it is hard.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Charlotte is not a recent NIT champ.  And they lost int the first round of the AAC tournament.

Teams don't want to come to Denton and get their ass whipped.

We need to - and should - get a quality home schedule, but I get why it is hard.

We lost 15 games last year. We were 11-4 at home. Can we stop this nonsense....that no visiting team can win in Denton? Rice beat us a few seasons ago here. And UTSA beat us here LAST YEAR. 

Also....Charlotte was 13-5 in league play....we were 10-8. They beat us by 12 in Charlotte. 

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SUMG said:

We lost 15 games last year. We were 11-4 at home. Can we stop this nonsense....that no visiting team can win in Denton? Rice beat us a few seasons ago here. And UTSA beat us here LAST YEAR. 

Also....Charlotte was 13-5 in league play....we were 10-8. They beat us by 12 in Charlotte. 

Never got the argument that teams didn't want to come here.  Other teams that have had success and won tournament games, both NCAA and NIT, don't seem to have the same issue.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Never got the argument that teams didn't want to come here.  Other teams that have had success and won tournament games, both NCAA and NIT, don't seem to have the same issue.

I've been assuming that it really means we don't have the money to bring teams here, otherwise our department is really poor at negotiating. People argue that we are a tough team to play at home, but at the same time not good enough to lose to. Those two things contradict each other. Like you said other teams that have been worse and better have no problem filling out their schedules. My post on the previous page highlights the types of teams that we should be getting in the Pit, since our conference mates can.

• Upvote 2

I'm sure Dayton is a tough place to play. We lost there several years ago. 

They've got home OOC games with Northwestern, Ball State, New Mexico State, Western Michigan, Lehigh, Marquette and UNLV. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SUMG said:

I didn't say no team can win in Denton.  I said teams don't want to come here and get their ass whipped.  What do I mean by that?  Here:

I don't think it is as simple as recent win-loss records (although, there is obvious overlap).  I think coaches and ADs look at brand perception, ROI (when it comes to those tournament metrics) versus the potential opponent, among other things.  "Other things" that can factor in across several seasons.  5 seasons? 10 seasons? That's up to them.

We are not a world beater in the eyes of the common fan, but I think under the last regime - and to a less degree under Ross - we have earned a ton of respect among coaches and ADs.  More respect than teams such as Charlotte, despite the numbers you have cited.  Are we unbeatable? No.  But we are no-pushover and I wouldn't be surprised if they see us as  a bigger risk to damage all those important NCAA metrics compared to teams like Charlotte.

Obviously, there are others here - not just you - who disagree with me.  But I don't think I'm alone either.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I didn't say no team can win in Denton.  I said teams don't want to come here and get their ass whipped.  What do I mean by that?  Here:

I don't think it is as simple as recent win-loss records (although, there is obvious overlap).  I think coaches and ADs look at brand perception, ROI (when it comes to those tournament metrics) versus the potential opponent, among other things.  "Other things" that can factor in across several seasons.  5 seasons? 10 seasons? That's up to them.

We are not a world beater in the eyes of the common fan, but I think under the last regime - and to a less degree under Ross - we have earned a ton of respect among coaches and ADs.  More respect than teams such as Charlotte, despite the numbers you have cited.  Are we unbeatable? No.  But we are no-pushover and I wouldn't be surprised if they see us as  a bigger risk to damage all those important NCAA metrics compared to teams like Charlotte.

Obviously, there are others here - not just you - who disagree with me.  But I don't think I'm alone either.

@Green Otaku hit the nail on the head. Purely a cash issue. 

• Eye Roll 1