2024-25 MBB/WBB schedule news

On 8/6/2024 at 11:39 PM, greenminer said:

He also said assuming.  If one of us cared enough, we could call the AD and ask.  Stop the whole "assuming" part.

We are definitely a poor AD.  Just don't know how much it plays into this.

Seems like we are assuming folks don't want to play in Denton because they might get beat as well.  The money issue is the one that makes the most sense to me.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Who knows how accurate this list is, but more to talk about. Notice Buggs' school is on the list. According to the poster all of these schools need primarily home games.

How in the world did he miss us?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Seems like we are assuming folks don't want to play in Denton because they might get beat as well.  The money issue is the one that makes the most sense to me.

Well, that makes ME the one that thinks we are a good team...doesn't it?

;)

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, greenminer said:

Well, that makes ME the one that thinks we are a good team...doesn't it?

😉

No.  I also think we are a good team, but it doesn't appear other good teams have issues scheduling home games against good opponents, so that eliminates that reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

No.  I also think we are a good team, but it doesn't appear other good teams have issues scheduling home games against good opponents, so that eliminates that reason.

I don't believe Charlotte is a good example.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/22/2024 at 9:11 PM, UNTLifer said:

Don’t get why the men still have trouble. 

Very few teams other than the historically black universities will play away oc games without heavy financial incentives.  The hb universities basically finance their program by playing oc games they have little chance to win. 

D1's could obviously schedule home and away series, but it is seldom done without financial sponsors.  This is an issue with most schools not just NT.  

For example, oc games last year by our conference mates

Charlotte:

Maine, liberty, Utah Valley, Ga. St, Davison, Stetson, Greensboro

Memphis, the only name basketball school in the AAC:

Lane College, LeMoyne-Owen college, Jackson St, Alabama St and some name schools: Clemson, Virginia, Austin Peay, Vanderbilt

Tulane:

Nicholls, NW St. La, Prairie View, Furman, Southern, George Mason, Dillard

UTSA:

Western Illinois, Jacksonville St., Incarnate Word, Arkansas-Fort Smith, Prairie View

Tulsa:

Central Arkansas, Incarnate Word, Jacksonville St, Oral Roberts, South Caronlina St. 

Not going any further, but it should be obvious: that NT is not alone with their scheduling issues

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Very few teams other than the historically black universities will play away oc games without heavy financial incentives.  The hb universities basically finance their program by playing oc games they have little chance to win. 

D1's could obviously schedule home and away series, but it is seldom done without financial sponsors.  This is an issue with most schools not just NT.  

For example, oc games last year by our conference mates

Charlotte:

Maine, liberty, Utah Valley, Ga. St, Davison, Stetson, Greensboro

Memphis, the only name basketball school in the AAC:

Lane College, LeMoyne-Owen college, Jackson St, Alabama St and some name schools: Clemson, Virginia, Austin Peay, Vanderbilt

Tulane:

Nicholls, NW St. La, Prairie View, Furman, Southern, George Mason, Dillard

UTSA:

Western Illinois, Jacksonville St., Incarnate Word, Arkansas-Fort Smith, Prairie View

Tulsa:

Central Arkansas, Incarnate Word, Jacksonville St, Oral Roberts, South Caronlina St. 

Not going any further, but it should be obvious: that NT is not alone with their scheduling issues

We had more meaningful home OOC games with JJ.   He could get better D1 games in Denton.   I think the cupcake schedules at home lately are intentional.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, NT80 said:

We had more meaningful home OOC games with JJ.   He could get better D1 games in Denton.   I think the cupcake schedules at home lately are intentional.  

You can argue any schedule is intentional, not an accident.

I have attempted to demonstrate that NT's home oc schedule is not unusual in any sense. 

Backup your assertion that NT or any mid-tier D1 team can schedule quality home oc games with actual data.      

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, Mo Green said:

We got a BIG TIME team coming to the Superpit November 25!

Boss Ross was happy about it. I want them to break the story 

But, who can go to the tournament at Disney over Thanksgiving this year?

Good news!  Very pleased at this game and series.

Edited by meangreenfaninno
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

You can argue any schedule is intentional, not an accident.

I have attempted to demonstrate that NT's home oc schedule is not unusual in any sense. 

Backup your assertion that NT or any mid-tier D1 team can schedule quality home oc games with actual data.      

Apparently, it was just backed with the scheduling of Oregon St. and NT.  Not good for the point I attempted to make, but should be great for the team.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

The one thing I'm disappointed about is that it appears the UTA series is not being renewed.

I didn't know last year was the last year of the series until Ross said so at the caravan. But even last year it appeared to be a low priority since it was scheduled on the Saturday after Christmas.

Can we get one Texas team to play us every year?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Finally some welcome news, credit to the AD where it is due. Very good opponent, and happy for this series.

While we're all excited about hosting Oregon St (a name brand, former P5 member) let's not mistake them for Duke or Gonzaga.  They are not actually that good in basketball...

2023-24 = 13-19, 5-15 in Pac-12

2022-23 = 11-21, 5-15

2021-22 = 3-28, 1-19

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UTAmaverick said:

Any word if the UNT-UTA series will continue this season? Game would be in Arlington I am guessing? And hopefully more competitive for the Mavs...ya'll destroyed us last year in Denton.

I just talked about this yesterday. In July Ross told me that 2023 was the last year of the series, and he wasn't sure if it would continue. The matchup didn't seem like a priority last year considering the date it was played. This close to the season, if the series were to be renewed I would have imagined we'd have heard something by now. Disappointing to me, I was looking forward to taking over College Park Center with green.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I just talked about this yesterday. In July Ross told me that 2023 was the last year of the series, and he wasn't sure if it would continue. The matchup didn't seem like a priority last year considering the date it was played. This close to the season, if the series were to be renewed I would have imagined we'd have heard something by now. Disappointing to me, I was looking forward to taking over College Park Center with green.

The trip to UTA is about the only opportunity most of us have to travel to an away game. It is one series I hoped to continue. Of course, I would like to play SMU and TCU every year but I don't think that is going to happen. 

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

The trip to UTA is about the only opportunity most of us have to travel to an away game. It is one series I hoped to continue. Of course, I would like to play SMU and TCU every year but I don't think that is going to happen. 

Yes, UTA was an easy road game, and they brought some fans to Denton too.  Not sure how much effort was put into renewing the series, but it might have outdrawn our Oregon St game which is on a dead week.

17 hours ago, NT80 said:

While we're all excited about hosting Oregon St (a name brand, former P5 member) let's not mistake them for Duke or Gonzaga.  They are not actually that good in basketball...

2023-24 = 13-19, 5-15 in Pac-12

2022-23 = 11-21, 5-15

2021-22 = 3-28, 1-19

I didn't say elite, we aren't ever getting those types of teams in Denton unless they are forced to come here like Virginia in the NIT. It's still a step up from the LSU Shreveports and Angelo States we've been scheduling. The bar is pretty low, which is sad.