Positions of Concern- Roster Overhaul

Needless to say, it's been an interesting off-season. This has been the biggest roster rebuild that Eric Morris has ever completed. We lost 35 players to the transfer portal, signed 24 transfers, and added another 40 plus high school kids. The team is not going to look anything like it did last year. We could potentially have 7 new starters on offense and 5-6 on defense. I am glad they got bigger in the secondary and at LB. The offensive line is probably going to be the biggest that we have had in years. I know the staff is doing the best they can, but I am extremely worried about the depth at certain positions. We are one injury away from having true freshman starting at QB and DE. What are your thoughts on this roster rebuild?

QB:

Chandler Morris- Starter

Cash McCollum (Fr)

Tom von Grote (walk on FR)

Drew Mestemaker (walk on FR)

DE:

Jake Shipley (Oregon)- Starter

Terrell Dawkins (South Carolina)- Starter

Fatafehi Vailea (Not sure if he is DT or DE)

Breylon Charles (Navarro/Lamar)- Backup

Keith Smith or a True Freshman- Backup

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I think if Morris can stay healthy he is the most important addition by far.  I worry terribly about his backup though as Stone Earle leaving hurts badly.

I feel they did the best they could with the oline having lost their very best player.  D-Line is a hodge podge of guys who have potential but did not live up to it at another address.

It does appear they are slowly moving away from the smaller, faster players on defense that Bennett coveted.

I think the secondary could surprise some people.  There is some talent there.

• Upvote 3

Positions of concern:  all of the above. 
we have no idea what anyone is capable of since almost all starters are new or at the very least playing with new teammates like on the D and O lines. 
We are pretty thin at RB this year as well. 

• Upvote 2

Positions of concern:

QB Depth.  I expect us to add either a transfer or JUCO prior to fall ball.

DL/DT:  After Rod Brown I am concerned.  Vailea is serviceable but not as explosive as I would prefer.  Only credited with 25 tackles last year.  I hope Shipley can play up to his ranking out of HS, #2 DE in all of CA, and not his production at OR where he has totaled 15 tackles in three years.  Really hoping Dawkins, Charles and Bronson can contribute

• Upvote 1

Not being able to develop Stone is a big strike against Coach. He had a good completion % and had wheels with a competitive nature. Looked like the perfect candidate for Morris. I wanted Chandler with the idea Stone would be a back up or situational player.  I hope the defense is at least  average.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Not being able to develop Stone is a big strike against Coach. He had a good completion % and had wheels with a competitive nature. Looked like the perfect candidate for Morris. I wanted Chandler with the idea Stone would be a back up or situational player.  I hope the defense is at least  average.

Losing Stone had to be more on him not liking his place on the roster.  I thought he was considered the primary backup, so he could be called on anytime if injury occurs.  Perhaps the new Freshman QB made him concerned about even being the #2 guy? 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I dunno, I think it shows more about Stone's character and priorities, not the Coaching.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

He visited us last weekend and just de committed from TCU.  He wants to play QB…he was recruited to TCU as a receiver, I believe 

Yeah, he is a 2025 recruit. A little small but definitely athletic.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Thanks. He’s for the next class.  I put this is the wrong thread.  Sorry about that.  

No worries at all. Lets be honest, it's a little unusual that we are having to add a QB this late in the off-season.