An always (to me) interesting topic; Rating the NT head coaches

Keep happy and at NT

Delong-Softball

Burton-WBB

Akers-Women Golf

Hedlund-Soccer

Jury still out

Hodge-MBB

I am happy with his results thus far, hard to judge with the horrible NIL situation

Morris-Football

Have liked his coaching of the offensive side, think he will improve the defense

Calcatera-Men Golf

New hire

Stone-Women Tennis

It was past time for a change, and she is a good choice 

Marshall-Track, CC

Great start, I have little doubt the track team will continue to get better under his leadership

Porter-Volleyball

Definitely elevated the program over the prior coach, want to see who she recruits as she loses some good-to-great players

Questionable

Roth-Women Swimming

She is still here despite mediocre results, there has to be a rationale (ie: poor facilities to recruit to, desire to spend as little as possible on this team, etc.)  She could be doing an        excellent job considering these factors

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 6

I think Burton is still in the second tier.

NT has taught me to never judge a coach by one single season (McCarney), but especially their first.

For the same reason, I cringe a bit at the posters who assume too much about Kinne's first year at TxState.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think Burton is still in the second tier.

NT has taught me to never judge a coach by one single season (McCarney), but especially their first.

For the same reason, I cringe a bit at the posters who assume too much about Kinne's first year at TxState.

Tough audience

I believe taking a 11-20, 8-12 team to 23-9, 13-5 in one is year is amazing

Single season or not, he IMO deserves the highest ranking

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2024 at 7:38 PM, GrandGreen said:

Tough audience

I believe taking a 11-20, 8-12 team to 23-9, 13-5 in one is year is amazing

Single season or not, he IMO deserves the highest ranking

I interpreted the top ranking as, Amazing coach! Demonstrated enough to keep him here the rest of his career.

If this tier is simply, Yes! Keep him one or two more years.  Then I am with you.  What Burton did in one year is amazing.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

On 6/16/2024 at 1:28 PM, greenminer said:

I interpreted the top ranking as, Amazing coach! Demonstrated enough to keep him here the rest of his career.

If this tier is simply, Yes! Keep him one or two more years.  Then I am with you.  What Burton did in one year is amazing.

I would never give a coach a contract designed to keep him/her here the rest of his career.  

On 6/15/2024 at 1:09 PM, GrandGreen said:

Keep happy and at NT

Delong-Softball

Burton-WBB

Akers-Women Golf

Hedlund-Soccer

Jury still out

Hodge-MBB

I am happy with his results thus far, hard to judge with the horrible NIL situation

Morris-Football

Have liked his coaching of the offensive side, think he will improve the defense

Calcatera-Men Golf

New hire

Stone-Women Tennis

Marshall-Track, CC

Great start, I have little doubt the track team will continue to get better under his leadership

Porter-Volleyball

Definitely elevated the program over the prior coach, want to see who she recruits as she loses some good-to-great players

Questionable

Roth-Women Swimming

She is still here despite mediocre results, there has to be a rationale (ie: poor facilities to recruit to, desire to spend as little as possible on this team, etc.)  She could be doing an        excellent job considering these factors

Not gonna lie, I'm ready to see us move on from Hedlund. Too much DFW soccer talent for us not to ever score in the NCAAs 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Pretty accurate list starting with the top four coaches (Hedlund, DeLong, Akers, Burton) These four coaches have a combined 23 conference titles! I do believe Hodge will win his first title in the near future and was a solid hire!

Edited by blurbeard

22 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Not gonna lie, I'm ready to see us move on from Hedlund. Too much DFW soccer talent for us not to ever score in the NCAAs 

The very same thing is true for basketball, football, track, volleyball and I have not seem a lot of championships in those sports.   

If you follow soccer at all, you would recognize that NT always gets a bad seed and ends up playing a top tier team in the first round.  Yes, it would be great to win one, but firing the coach because he only wins conference championships would be insane.  

I wish we had that problem in other sports, we don't because none of them have been that consistently successful. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2024 at 1:09 PM, GrandGreen said:

Keep happy and at NT

Delong-Softball

Burton-WBB

Akers-Women Golf

Hedlund-Soccer

Jury still out

Hodge-MBB

Morris-Football

Calcatera-Men Golf

New hire

Stone-Women Tennis

Marshall-Track, CC

Porter-Volleyball

Questionable

Roth-Women Swimming

Delong - yes, but need to pay close attention these next few years to see how well he rebuilds this team after losing perhaps the most impactful senior class in any UNT sport this century.

Burton - excellent start but I would like to see him win more big games in 2024-25: advance far in the conference tournament, if we get a secondary tournament like the WNIT or WBI again win a game or two there, and beat our rival and lesser program UTSA

Hedlund - he deserves to have the soccer/track stadium named after him for sure but he desperately needs a NCAA Tournament win. The last few years have made me even more antsy. In 2023 we didn't beat a single opponent already in the AAC, and didn't even make the conference tournament.

Hodge - I have Hodge in your first category. I see him as an extension of Grant. He has won big time wherever he has gone, he's having a solid first full offseason in charge, and runs a clean program. Unfortunately we did not have a clutch finisher this year like TP, otherwise we could have easily hit 20 wins in the regular season again. We need to keep him happy. If you don't agree with NIL, then at least buy season tickets, come to the games, and help build off our best attendance year since the '70s. A few more winning seasons would put us at 10+ consecutive and draw bigger eyes to Hodge. I would love to keep him here at least 5 years and then at that point perhaps Phil Forte has made himself the clear next heir to the throne.