From the desk of Jared Mosley - special update

28 minutes ago, wardly said:

Well the courts have ruled that the NCAA can't prevent play for pay in college ports so we need to determine the best way to live with it. I think making athletes university employees deserves consideration. You would think that UNT could , as a condition of employment, could have contracts that specify terms and conditions that would prevent players annually hopscotching without a financial penalty as well as define the actual total compensation, such as room and board, etc. The problem with North Texas is that any money that donors like myself give towards NIL is money that I won't be giving to our athletic department. I have allocated a defined amount that I am willing to contribute to athletics regardless of which pocket it goes in. On another note the past AD of Colorado State stated that he sees a  "Super G6 " conference it the future. I have heard of but not seen the article but it would appear to be another layer between the 'haves and have nots". Unfortunately I view us as being on the outside looking in without the financial commitment from donors that would put us in the conversation for some sort of upward projection.

Here is the article

https://www.denverpost.com/2024/06/09/csu-rams-should-leave-mountain-west/

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Well the courts have ruled that the NCAA can't prevent play for pay in college ports ...

Didn't they rule kids could market themselves and make money?  I didn't think they could be paid for taking a roster spot.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Pissed 1

5 minutes ago, untphd said:

... you line up the best of the rest. Oregon State, Washington State, San Diego State, Boise State, CSU, Air Force, Army, Navy, Tulane, UConn....

There are a few in the quote above that I wouldn't consider the "best of the rest" including their own CSU.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

• Harry featured this topic
41 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

... you line up the best of the rest. Oregon State, Washington State, San Diego State, Boise State, CSU, Air Force, Army, Navy, Tulane, UConn....

There are a few in the quote above that I wouldn't consider the "best of the rest" including their own CSU.

Yes, "the best" always varies by year.  I don't consider Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, et al "the best in FBS football" even though they are part of "the best two conferences" in FBS football.   That is the flaw with Super Conferences.  Not all members are always so Super!

• Upvote 2

On 6/11/2024 at 1:15 PM, UNTLifer said:

I think we pick one system or the other.  One, is the old way.  You get a scholarship that includes all the above and a small stipend for spending money.  Or, you come, sign a NIL deal, make your money and pay for all that above.

I would choose number one.  But let's say a bunch of G5s broke away from NCAA and formed an association that went back to scholarship-based athletics.  It seems to me that if a group of athletes sued for NIL the precedent has been established -- we'd be right back where we are now.

We're screwed either way.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Didn't they rule kids could market themselves and make money?  I didn't think they could be paid for taking a roster spot.

I think only those who make a roster are going to make money from the NIL no matter how you paint it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, wardly said:

I think only those who make a roster are going to make money from the NIL no matter how you paint it.

I realize that.  To clarify my comment, these kids can earn money through marketing deals, etc. using their NIL, but can't just be paid to be a part of the team.  The intent is for them to have the ability to earn money , not to guarantee an income because you are part of the team.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I realize that.  To clarify my comment, these kids can earn money through marketing deals, etc. using their NIL, but can't just be paid to be a part of the team.  The intent is for them to have the ability to earn money , not to guarantee an income because you are part of the team.

The article I read said they were moving  it back to the athletic departments and they would be providing tax deductions as well.  I think it was in ESPN but will have to find it and post it here.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

But unless they are part of a team why would you give them NIL money unless they were a super star like the women's basketball player when she was at  Iowa? Just asking.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, wardly said:

But unless they are part of a team why would you give them NIL money unless they were a super star like the women's basketball player when she was at  Iowa? Just asking.

Beam me up Scottie. There is no sign of intelligent life here.

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

In answer to your question, if I understand your question (not sure), is:

Many top school's now are using scholarship offers plus non-school NIL opportunities to attract highly-regarded recruits and portal players (not already on the roster) to come play for their schools.  It's not supposed to be just pay-for-play, but has turned into that.  It's certainly not transparent and some schools and players have been burned by NIL deals gone wrong.  NIL will soon be allowed to be offered and distributed by schools as part of the NCAA's revised benefits (revenue) to players.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

On 6/11/2024 at 12:15 PM, UNTLifer said:

You mean that all that free stuff they received before was enough?  But, how do they survive without NIL when they get free tuition, books, room, food, tutoring services, clothing, healthcare, workout facilities, nutritionist/dieticians, strength and conditioning coaches, etc...

I think we pick one system or the other.  One, is the old way.  You get a scholarship that includes all the above and a small stipend for spending money.  Or, you come, sign a NIL deal, make your money and pay for all that above.

I see the my post above has almost equal amounts that agree as disagree.  For those that disagree, I am truly curious as to what system you think should be in place.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, keith said:

Not much of an update.  More like a fund-raising plea, several non-updates and bunch of coach-speak/AD platitudes.  Blah, blah, blah.

"...we have several contingencies in motion as we plan and prepare for the future ahead."  -- OK, what future do you see specifically, what are your plans, what are you preparing for and what are the contingencies?   What is the best/worst case scenario you are preparing for?

"...most collectives at AAC member institutions are targeting $1-2M for the sport of football and $600K+ for the sport of men's basketball."  OK, what are collectives associated with UNT athletics targeting?

"...Some institutions in our league are raising more than this."  OK, which institutions and how much more?

"...Our staff is actively fundraising for our Athletics Center expansion project."  Great, how's it going?  What are your goals and how are you progressing towards them?

"...we are hoping to complete this project in two phases."  OK, what are these phases, when do you anticipate each one starting and completing...2 years, 5 years, 10 years? 

Please do better.

Yuuuup.

And they wonder why no one takes them seriously. 

It reads as basically, "trust us, we're trying, just give us more."

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 3

Considering that maybe 10% of the FBS programs have a shot at ever winning a national championship, this flood of NIL money will slow to a trickle.  Donor fatigue is real.  Purdue, Iowa, Oregon State, Duke etc etc etc.  A long list of middling P5’s and all of the G5s will give up the dream of “moving up” whatever that means for each individual school.  What’s more, being on top of the college football world is now meaningless. Am I excited for UT or OSU because they bought the best players?  If I was an alum I may feint pride but it would feel more hollow than ever.  

This did not happen over night but the day is upon us to declare college sports dead.  At least how we knew and loved it.  There is nothing to love about trying to buy a title.  Let’s put the focus back on education.  Maybe that’s a silver lining.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, HoustonEagle said:

This did not happen over night but the day is upon us to declare college sports dead.  At least how we knew and loved it.  There is nothing to love about trying to buy a title.  Let’s put the focus back on education.  Maybe that’s a silver lining.  

Dark but Well stated

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 6/13/2024 at 3:41 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yuuuup.

And they wonder why no one takes them seriously. 

It reads as basically, "trust us, we're trying, just give us more."

Mosley is smart to not state how much money our collective has. You can’t give away that power in a negotiation. 

If Mosley said we had X dollars for NIL then any player we are targeting would know how much to ask for. And that player would probably ask for all of it.

Or an established player would feel like he isn’t getting enough.
And we can’t let our competition know how much we have, because that would make it even easier to target our players and our recruits. 

Mosley has a hard f-ing job right now. North Texas is in a very bad spot in the current college athletics landscape.

But overall, the first year under Mosley was a success. He made a home run hire in women’s basketball and we WON the conference. Men’s basketball was competitive in the conference and won some postseason games with a new coach despite a really bad run of injuries.

Football was underwhelming, but there is hope for the future. 

Mosley needs to be judged by the results on the field. And so far, those results have been pretty good. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Mosley is smart to not state how much money our collective has. You can’t give away that power in a negotiation. 

If Mosley said we had X dollars for NIL then any player we are targeting would know how much to ask for. And that player would probably ask for all of it.

Or an established player would feel like he isn’t getting enough.
And we can’t let our competition know how much we have, because that would make it even easier to target our players and our recruits. 

Mosley has a hard f-ing job right now. North Texas is in a very bad spot in the current college athletics landscape.

But overall, the first year under Mosley was a success. He made a home run hire in women’s basketball and we WON the conference. Men’s basketball was competitive in the conference and won some postseason games with a new coach despite a really bad run of injuries.

Football was underwhelming, but there is hope for the future. 

Mosley needs to be judged by the results on the field. And so far, those results have been pretty good. 

Women's basketball moves the needle approximately 0%. 

Any AD's mission is to have team(s) success, build upon facilities, and fundraise. I am not going to look at women's basketball and chalk that up as athletic success. Yes, Burton was a good hire. Woohoooooo. And, just like that, I'm over that success data point of the AD. 

Where are we in the AC expansion? Why wasn't more pressure put on ridding our DC? Oh, that's right, because Mosley agreed to a 2 year deal for him at 400/per. Men's  basketball, though not Mosley's fault, took an expected step back. Football seems to be a blackhole sucking the resources from the athletic department. You can prop up Burton as proof of Mosley's success as our AD. I will not. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Any AD's mission is to have team(s) success, build upon facilities, and fundraise. I am not going to look at women's basketball and chalk that up as athletic success. Yes, Burton was a good hire. Woohoooooo. And, just like that, I'm over that success data point of the AD. 

Where are we in the AC expansion? Why wasn't more pressure put on ridding our DC? Oh, that's right, because Mosley agreed to a 2 year deal for him at 400/per. Men's  basketball, though not Mosley's fault, took an expected step back. Football seems to be a blackhole sucking the resources from the athletic department. You can prop up Burton as proof of Mosley's success as our AD. I will not. 

Yeah, at UNT (and most places), there are two sports that matter to fans. Football and men’s basketball. Anything else is gravy.

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2024 at 1:44 PM, UNTLifer said:

The coaches and AD's have made money because the programs they ran made money.  Yes, they were paid a handsome salary, but these kids were provided for just not directly.  First class facilities, everything I listed above, locker rooms that rival the finest country clubs, top rate sports medicine and rehab facilities, etc...  There is value in what they receive for a scholarship in exchange for their ability to play a sport.  Now, they should be allowed to make whatever they are able off of their name, image or likeness, but not paid a salary, ala smuT and TX Tech, for just being on the team.  If Bill Utter Ford wanted to give Booger Kennedy a truck and a salary to be their spokesperson because he was "Built Ford Tough" then let them.

Well not many athletic programs such as UNT actually make money, especially a at the G6 level. Also, why not pay a player for making the team as you would for any other employee. Trust me, the players are treated as employees whether they are classified as such or not. Some of us don't want to realize that the old way is dead and the NIL is alive.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Ask Iowa if women’s basketball can move the needle. Or LSU. Or Baylor. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Ask Iowa if women’s basketball can move the needle. Or LSU. Or Baylor. 

Very true.   It's great for those schools that have that sports culture, but not all can or will.  I have never been a fan of Title IX.  I think it artificially forces schools to spend money and sponsor some women's sports (just to balance scholarships with men) that will always lose money and not draw fans.   

I remember when my high school in Texas started girls basketball in the mid-70's.  The UIL didn't think girls had the endurance for full-court, so it was half-court style basketball.  3 girls played defense, then passed the ball off at mid-court to the other 3 girls on offense.   After about 10 years it went to full court. 

Lacrosse is huge in the Northeast colleges, both men's and women's.  It is making it's way into Texas high schools and club sports.   Just like Hockey at the junior level is big here too now.

• Upvote 1