From the desk of Jared Mosley - special update

I have given to Harry's collective as did others and still saw our roster decimated by other poaching schools. I realize this is a necessary evil, but it's discouraging to give hard earned money when an athlete is going to leave regardless.

• Upvote 6
  • RV 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

10 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I also give to the collectives and would like my money back from every athlete that transferred. I know it doesn’t work that way though. 
After losing ALMOST all of our good players from the football team AND basketball team to the transfer portal, I do question why I continue to give to the collectives. 
The answer, I guess, is that maybe it helps us attract new players to replace the good players that we used to have who left us through the portal.
That is the only reason I am still giving. Anyone have any other reasons to help justify it? 

And I still haven't gotten a satisfactory answer as to why we have two collectives. Is one football only and the other for basketball and everyone else? Which one serves the greater good?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

No, it is not a "necessary evil".  College football was just fine before this NIL bullsh*t.

You mean that all that free stuff they received before was enough?  But, how do they survive without NIL when they get free tuition, books, room, food, tutoring services, clothing, healthcare, workout facilities, nutritionist/dieticians, strength and conditioning coaches, etc...

I think we pick one system or the other.  One, is the old way.  You get a scholarship that includes all the above and a small stipend for spending money.  Or, you come, sign a NIL deal, make your money and pay for all that above.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Sorry.  I like the old way.

Me too, but let them earn some money on the side.  Leaving that up to the universities just invites cheating.  Then again, the NCAA is just a modern day eunuch.

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1

I feel like people get too riled up about NIL.  If you want to help out in that particular regard there are ways to do it.  If you don't then no big deal.   I think it is good that they players are able to make some extra money.  The coaches and AD's have been making tons for years on the players backs.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

4 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I think it is good that the players are able to make some extra money.

We obviously have different definitions of “some extra money.”

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I feel like people get too riled up about NIL.  If you want to help out in that particular regard there are ways to do it.  If you don't then no big deal.   I think it is good that they players are able to make some extra money.  The coaches and AD's have been making tons for years on the players backs.

The coaches and AD's have made money because the programs they ran made money.  Yes, they were paid a handsome salary, but these kids were provided for just not directly.  First class facilities, everything I listed above, locker rooms that rival the finest country clubs, top rate sports medicine and rehab facilities, etc...  There is value in what they receive for a scholarship in exchange for their ability to play a sport.  Now, they should be allowed to make whatever they are able off of their name, image or likeness, but not paid a salary, ala smuT and TX Tech, for just being on the team.  If Bill Utter Ford wanted to give Booger Kennedy a truck and a salary to be their spokesperson because he was "Built Ford Tough" then let them.

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1

1 minute ago, meangreenbob said:

One thing to keep in mind. No one is forcing these kids to play football. Sometimes we all act as if that’s their only option. It’s not. 

Let them get a job. Go to work. 
If they truly want to educate themselves then fine. Pay for your tuition. If that’s by working in a grocery store, do it. If it’s by earning an academic or athletic scholarship fine.   

But don’t ask me to pay you to come and play at my school and then expect me to pay again at the ticket office to watch you play. I’m no fool 

Yuuuuppp...

Trying to get us coming and going. It's not sustainable. 

I have thought long and hard about donating a significant amount of money. I've had it queued up a few times to do so. I just stop and draw back and think... why. I have it. I wouldn't miss it.. and I could do it annually with no issue. But... "why" always flashes into my mind. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1

Nothing prevents said players....from going in to coaching and working their way up the coaching ladder. (if they want to make the big coaching bucks).

But even at that....there are some lean times...as you work your way up that ladder.

I remember the story that Grant told....of how they lived off of (wife) Cece's income, as a waitress at Olive Garden....when he was a GA at Northern Colorado. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Coaching is a paid career.  Playing college football is not employment anymore than junior high football is.  

• Upvote 7

17 hours ago, NT80 said:

Coaching is a paid career.  Playing college football is not employment anymore than junior high football is.  

Well the courts have ruled that the NCAA can't prevent play for pay in college ports so we need to determine the best way to live with it. I think making athletes university employees deserves consideration. You would think that UNT could , as a condition of employment, could have contracts that specify terms and conditions that would prevent players annually hopscotching without a financial penalty as well as define the actual total compensation, such as room and board, etc. The problem with North Texas is that any money that donors like myself give towards NIL is money that I won't be giving to our athletic department. I have allocated a defined amount that I am willing to contribute to athletics regardless of which pocket it goes in. On another note the past AD of Colorado State stated that he sees a  "Super G6 " conference it the future. I have heard of but not seen the article but it would appear to be another layer between the 'haves and have nots". Unfortunately I view us as being on the outside looking in without the financial commitment from donors that would put us in the conversation for some sort of upward projection.

• Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, wardly said:

Well the courts have ruled that the NCAA can't prevent play for pay in college ports so we need to determine the best way to live with it. 

The courts haven't ruled any such thing.   The NCAA is negotiating a settlement to allow NIL, but schools don't have to provide any NIL.   And I don't think we should provide NIL!    Use our donations for better facilities.  

There are enough JUCO, FCS and DII players that would play at our level for just a scholarship.  If they are good, then they can transfer out (as always anyway) to get NIL somewhere else.  

• Upvote 1