Do facilities really matter anymore?

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I think it might be wise for UNT to go belly up on NIL and invest whatever they can heavily into facilities. The hope here would be that sanity enters back into the game and UNT would be setup really nicely. 

What I know UNT can't do is try to do what everyone else is doing. That's not going to work for us or for dozens of programs like ours. Doing the status quo is just going to run fans off more than our on the field results already do. 

Agree with that. We'll never know what our record would be.....if we didn't pay any NIL money....versus if we do. NIL money doesn't guarantee success. I guess it might....at an already established power like Georgia or Michigan. But, they're gonna win no matter what the system.
A & M was spending millions on NIL....when Jimbo went 4-8 (in his next to last season?) Who do you think had more NIL money last season....Auburn or New Mexico State? NMSU beat them by 21.

So yeah....I too wish we'd stop wasting money on NIL. 

• Upvote 5

26 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Agree with that. We'll never know what our record would be.....if we didn't pay any NIL money....versus if we do. NIL money doesn't guarantee success. I guess it might....at an already established power like Georgia or Michigan. But, they're gonna win no matter what the system.
A & M was spending millions on NIL....when Jimbo went 4-8 (in his next to last season?) Who do you think had more NIL money last season....Auburn or New Mexico State? NMSU beat them by 21.

So yeah....I too wish we'd stop wasting money on NIL. 

Yup. 

Then go hire a flex coach and go get the baddest bark eating 270lb Olinemen you can find that would LOVE to come to UNT. Then go get some 5'7" 200lb 4.7 40 fearless running backs that no one would take a chance on. Let's go mash on people with a 0 dollar salary cap. 

Matter of fact... go hire Harding University's entire staff. Tell them to keep doing exactly what they're doing. 

Jared can put this together and present to the fanbase. People will love it or hate, but they'll pay attention to it. He can even call it his idea, I'll allow it. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Unbelievable to go 4-8 with that type of NIL investment.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yup. 

Then go hire a flex coach and go get the baddest bark eating 270lb Olinemen you can find that would LOVE to come to UNT. Then go get some 5'7" 200lb 4.7 40 fearless running backs that no one would take a chance on. Let's go mash on people with a 0 dollar salary cap. 

Matter of fact... go hire Harding University's entire staff. Tell them to keep doing exactly what they're doing. 

Jared can put this together and present to the fanbase. People will love it or hate, but they'll pay attention to it. He can even call it his idea, I'll allow it. 

JUCO players and probably most FCS and DII players don't play for NIL.  Hundreds of players would love the opportunity to play at our level for just a scholarship.   We would get more National media for going 6-6 as a non-NIL program than as 6-6 with NIL.    We could be the "Rudy" of FBS!

Apply all Athletic donations to facilities for all sports and the AC renovation instead.   

Transfers out (portal) will always happen, but Screw NIL!

• Upvote 4

• Harry featured this topic

Facilities are table stakes these days in the business of college athletics...besides, the athletes don't want to be walking around in sub-standard facilities with cash falling out of their pockets (hahaha).

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, NT80 said:

JUCO players and probably most FCS and DII players don't play for NIL.  Hundreds of players would love the opportunity to play at our level for just a scholarship.   We would get more National media for going 6-6 as a non-NIL program than as 6-6 with NIL.    We could be the "Rudy" of FBS!

Apply all Athletic donations to facilities for all sports and the AC renovation instead.   

Transfers out (portal) will always happen, but Screw NIL!

Are you proposing that we identify as a "Non-NIL school"?  That is an interesting idea but not sure it would work.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

Are you proposing that we identify as a "Non-NIL school"?  That is an interesting idea but not sure it would work.

Lol, I think it's an option the AD and coaches should explore.  You have to start with where are we now on the FBS NIL food chain?   Are the funds (NIL donations) sustainable and growable and really making a difference at our level?   Do donations vary as players leave or depend on the program's record to spark an increase?  I could see burnout on donations when players leave.  It's very frustrating to fans.

Does our NIL really make a difference over using the same donations towards facilities?   

• Upvote 2