New President Named ...

On 6/8/2024 at 11:02 AM, MCMLXXX said:

I think we need the expertise that Keller brings to the position and I am optimistic that he will prove to be a great hire.

What expertise does he bring?  I think I am missing something. 

• Upvote 6

On 6/9/2024 at 3:22 PM, Hunter Green said:

I hear ya, but I hope a guy with this type of resume will want to leave his mark and leave something better than when he got here. A push for excellence. Guys like him don't get to where they are by doing a half assed job.

Oh, I'm sure he will do a ton for the College of Music, College of Arts and Sciences, and the College of Business. And tell us that enrollment rising is the key to our future.

Basically, the same recipe we always see.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Just idle curiosity. On his resume, it's mentioned that he grew up in the Texas panhandle, but a specific town was not listed.  

"I’m a sixth-generation Texan. I grew up in a town called Plainview, which is a farming community in the Panhandle. The school district is what we call “property poor.” For generations, most of my people were farmers, but my parents were schoolteachers. Like a lot of teachers’ kids, I grew up in their classrooms. I became a good student, mostly unaware of how the lack of resources available to my schools affected the opportunities that were available to me. By high school it became clearer, especially when I ran out of math courses to take my junior year.

Still, when I went away to college I was feeling pretty confident. My freshman year at the University of Notre Dame was a reality check. I’ll never forget what it felt like to get that first paper back with the first ‘D’ I’d ever seen in my life, and to realize that although I hadn’t had math my senior year, most of the students sitting next to me had AP Calculus. It took about three semesters and a lot of suffering to recalibrate to the new expectations.  Fortunately, I had a lot of support from family, friends, and faculty. And, Notre Dame let me count my suffering toward Purgatory time."

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://reportcenter.highered.texas.gov/correspondence/commissioner-correspondence/h-keller-leadership-address/

• Upvote 5

• Harry featured this topic
21 hours ago, NT80 said:

"I’m a sixth-generation Texan. I grew up in a town called Plainview, which is a farming community in the Panhandle. The school district is what we call “property poor.” For generations, most of my people were farmers, but my parents were schoolteachers. Like a lot of teachers’ kids, I grew up in their classrooms. I became a good student, mostly unaware of how the lack of resources available to my schools affected the opportunities that were available to me. By high school it became clearer, especially when I ran out of math courses to take my junior year.

Still, when I went away to college I was feeling pretty confident. My freshman year at the University of Notre Dame was a reality check. I’ll never forget what it felt like to get that first paper back with the first ‘D’ I’d ever seen in my life, and to realize that although I hadn’t had math my senior year, most of the students sitting next to me had AP Calculus. It took about three semesters and a lot of suffering to recalibrate to the new expectations.  Fortunately, I had a lot of support from family, friends, and faculty. And, Notre Dame let me count my suffering toward Purgatory time."

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://reportcenter.highered.texas.gov/correspondence/commissioner-correspondence/h-keller-leadership-address/

Thanks.  Well, for anyone wondering if he understands the importance of sports to a student body, that should answer it. And at the risk of sounding like "Mr. geography picayune", Plainview is near/close-to the panhandle, not in it. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

WHY?  Just why? Why?

https://harrisonkeller.com/

Regarding where he is from, obviously a nomad.

Oh, I don't know. I just felt at the time the decision was rushed and the candidate seems to have a strong aura of resume building. So, just more gut feeling than anything. I hope beyond hope to be 100% wrong...good thing I'm not responsible for any of it I reckon. Maybe I should only post pre-happy hour?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Greenrex said:

Oh, I don't know. I just felt at the time the decision was rushed and the candidate seems to have a strong aura of resume building. So, just more gut feeling than anything. I hope beyond hope to be 100% wrong...good thing I'm not responsible for any of it I reckon. Maybe I should only post pre-happy hour?

I'm just guessing, but I am sure most preliminary searching and vetting took place a while back. In many of these hires, what might seem like a "rushed" decision was in process for a while. 

• Upvote 1