New President Named ...

39 minutes ago, brandon.daniels said:

Harrison Keller.

Honestly, not sure how I feel about this.  I would think we were/are in a situation where we would be able to recruit a top leader in higher education.  This guy has never lead a university.  Kinda dissapointed.

Harrison Keller, PhD

COMMISSIONER OF HIGHER EDUCATION

The Commissioner of Higher Education is appointed by the Board of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and serves as the CEO of the agency. Dr. Keller came to the Coordinating Board from The University of Texas at Austin, where he served President Gregory Fenves as Deputy to the President for Strategy and Policy. Previously, he served as Vice Provost for Higher Education Policy and Research and founded the OnRamps and Texas OnCourse initiatives. Earlier in his career, he served as Senior Education Policy Advisor and Director of Research for Rep. Tom Craddick during his tenure as Speaker of the Texas House, and as a project director at UT Austin’s Charles A. Dana Center.

Dr. Keller received his B.A. with honors from the University of Notre Dame, and went on to receive master’s and doctoral degrees in philosophy from Georgetown University. He also served in the U.S. Navy Reserve as an intelligence officer. A native of the Texas Panhandle, Keller resides in Austin with his wife Gena and their three children.

Looks like a solid hire!   Him being from UT makes me think he will care about athletics!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Looks like a good hire. He clearly has the political connections we need. We need someone that understands how Austin works.

Didn’t we say that about Lee Jackson when he was hired as Chancellor???

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 2

5 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Lee Jackson had been a State Rep for a few years and then was County Judge of Dallas County.

I never thought he had much pull in Austin and thought he was a poor choice for Chancellor so don't include me in your "we".

I am sure he was good for UNT Dallas though.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

There may have been a few, but in general the Lee Jackson hire was far from popular.   If you like low key executives with seemingly few accomplishments, Jackson may have been a good choice.  

Of course, I was underwhelmed by the Smatresk hire and he imo turned out to be very good for NT.  

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Lee Jackson had been a State Rep for a few years and then was County Judge of Dallas County.

I never thought he had much pull in Austin and thought he was a poor choice for Chancellor so don't include me in your "we".

I am sure he was good for UNT Dallas though.

I’m using the communal “we” in our folks rationalizing a very underwhelming, under-qualified hire at the time. I didn’t like that hire either and he was more disappointing than I’d even originally thought by the end of his tenure having focused all his energy on the useless UNT Dallas project - something I still loathe.

This new guy may be great. Just cautioning those expecting stroke in Austin. I’ll believe that when I see it. Would be great for UNT though. 

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Of course, I was underwhelmed by the Smatresk hire and he imo turned out to be very good for NT.  

Gretchen Bataille was disastrous, and V. Lane Rawlins came to the rescue (having previously been president of Washington State and Memphis) and got us back on track, but he said from the beginning he would not stick around very long.  Smatresk had been President of UNLV for 4 years and had previously served as an administrator at UTA.  I thought from the beginning Smatresk was a steal. Smatresk proved himself to be effective and is stepping down at just the right time. I think we need the expertise that Keller brings to the position and I am optimistic that he will prove to be a great hire.

• Upvote 7

I'm taking a (big) "wait and see approach" to this hire.  I remember the L. Jackson and Helwig (AD) eras.  Both had Austin ties and tried to make us UT "light" or flat out hold us back.

• Upvote 4
  • Pissed 1

23 hours ago, NT80 said:

He was Drum Major in the Notre Dame marching band, so he at least was inside the stadium during games!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/hkelleredu/

He did a little more than lead the ND Marching Band..

Activities and Societies: Honors Program, Marching Band - Drum Major, Percussionist - Concert Band, Jazz Band, Symphony, Folk Choir

I don't know if the national College Jazz Band competition is still being held at Notre Dame, but the 1 0'Clock got a lot of their national attention there in the early 60's.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Certainly has the resume. Any thoughts on how he feels about athletics?

No idea... but given that he is an alum of ND he will look down his nose at us from the jump nor will he truly fight for the likes of UNT being on equal footing than his beloved Notre Dame. 

Could easily be a stuck in the mud do nothing hire that collects a check for X amount of time and moves on... should fit right in. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1