ESPN Football Power Index

10 hours ago, NT93 said:

Not sure if it’s great trash talking to point out that they’re competing with Alabama for recruits😬😬

Solid point, except that player will be playing for Ohio State or Oregon the next year. They are fortunate to have the donors to buy a new team every year. It's hard enough to care about UNT football, less difficult to not care about SMU

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Another 5-7 and he might as well just take his act elsewhere.  

I don’t think we could afford to buy out his contract after 2 years.

But I agree, his hire has been highlighted by poor recruiting and mistakes.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I think you have to give a coach a couple of years.  Now, in the day you would give them longer than that  but now the timeline is pretty short.  Morris made a lot of mistakes out of the gate.  That said, I hope he can turn it around and he deserves another year to show us what he can do.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

Back to the pint made by RBP79, what is it here that draws supporters from SMU and Houston to constantly post here ?  Are NT supporters lurking around SMU and Houston fan sites ?  Are they trying to convince us or themselves ?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Back to the pint made by RBP79, what is it here that draws supporters from SMU and Houston to constantly post here ?  Are NT supporters lurking around SMU and Houston fan sites ?  Are they trying to convince us or themselves ?

I live in Denton.  No word on the Houstonite

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:01 AM, UNTLifer said:

Really?

Exhibit A-Z: Defense. 

Also not starting Rogers from day one was a huge blunder. 

We had the money to hire a more experienced coach and we went with the bargain hire again. We got what we paid for. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, DentonStang said:

I live in Denton.  No word on the Houstonite

I previously lived in Houston and never did I visit a UH  board.  Prior to that, lived in the DFW area and never went to an SMU fan board. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

On 6/9/2024 at 2:42 AM, 97and03 said:

Exhibit A-Z: Defense. 

Also not starting Rogers from day one was a huge blunder. 

We had the money to hire a more experienced coach and we went with the bargain hire again. We got what we paid for. 

We could’ve gone after an established coach, but it didn’t work with McCarney.  

Morris was pretty highly thought of in coaching circles.  He was the head coach at incarnate word and he did a good job down there.  Good enough that he was hired by a pac12 school to be their offensive coordinator.  

I still don’t know what he was doing with the qb situation to start the year, and our defense was the worst since dodge brought in a hs coordinator, but let’s see what they do now that they’ve had a full season to recruit “their” players.  

I admit, that I hate the coaches that try to make the wrong players fit into their system instead of trying to figure out the best system for the players they’ve got, but let’s see what they can do now that we’ve supposedly got more of the right people for this system.  

At least we can score.  🤞

On 6/5/2024 at 6:52 PM, Udomann said:

Your rent-a-team is projected.  Your school however is irrelevant to what your donors will pay. 

With the exception of maybe 15-20 programs.. this is the status of all programs in the NCAA...

• Upvote 1

To be blunt...if you do not donate, if you do not buy tickets and if you do not follow the Mean Green, we are not interested in your thoughts.  Enticing fans of other programs to join us is far fetched, as they already have an agenda and that agenda is to demean North Texas and poke fun at those who do care about North Texas and its future.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

We could’ve gone after an established coach, but it didn’t work with McCarney.  

You're going to run out of coaching candidates if every time one doesn't work, you exclude future candidates who meet the same criteria as failed ones.

• Upvote 2

On 6/6/2024 at 5:01 PM, UNTLifer said:

Really?

Name an upside...any. I wanted litrell gone more than most, but we settled for thrift store coach instead? Sure, he speaks instead of mumbles, but there are no results 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You're going to run out of coaching candidates if every time one doesn't work, you exclude future candidates who meet the same criteria as failed ones.

I think that McCarney’s exit just burned the decision makers here to ever pay for a name coach with actual experience as a successful FBS coach from a previous stop.

Like I’ve always said, this place needed a head coach that would galvanize the entire UNT Family. Make us want to follow him because we have seen that he can do something. Make us believe that we aren’t just some spare place on the CFB map, like most media and fans think outside of gmg.com. But the portal and NIL sort of burns all of that up now. When you can’t keep talent because it can be bought away at any time, the coaches at a place like this can’t afford to miss on recruiting, development, or coaching hires. It makes it really hard to build momentum in any fashion, knowing that your players and coaches are bought the moment that a Power School calls.