Maniacs to extend their presence to football in 2024

The Talons have been a non-factor for years. I remember going to Texas Stadium in the 70's and being very impressed with them. Sadly, those days are long gone. 

Let's go Maniacs !

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Excited as the student section at The Stadium Formerly Known as Apogee has been missing some organized intensity for a while now. But it also raises my curiosity even more... where have the Talons been?

This is confusing to me. Weren't the "Maniacs" already going to football games?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

After the shock and horror of the 9/11 attack, I thought that the administration would immediately look at how the FBI failed in its job of protecting the American people and then clean house. And then after cleaning house, they would make the FBI leaner and meaner. Nope, instead of doing thatwhat they did was create a whole new bureaucracy Homeland Security.  New bureaucracy, new agency boundaries, and a whole new budget.

Now, North Texas is basically doing the same thing. 

If the Talons are not getting the job done (and aside from shooting off the cannon at games, they certainly aren't) then look at why, clean house, and revitalize the long-standing spirit(?) group.  

Don't create another bureaucracy.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

After the shock and horror of the 9/11 attack, I thought that the administration would immediately look at how the FBI failed in its job of protecting the American people and then clean house. And then after cleaning house, they would make the FBI leaner and meaner. Nope, instead of doing thatwhat they did was create a whole new bureaucracy Homeland Security.  New bureaucracy, new agency boundaries, and a whole new budget.

If the Talons are not getting the job done (and aside from shooting off the cannon at games, they certainly aren't) then look at why, clean house, and revitalize the long-standing spirit(?) group.  

Ok... as far as strawman arguments and equivalency go... that was just the worst. A terrorist attack vs a spirit group? I get we love football but that's not even apples and Oranges. Thats... apples and GMO modified asparagus grown from the enriched soil from the moon.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

My God

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

15 hours ago, Udomann said:

Ok... as far as strawman arguments and equivalency go... that was just the worst. A terrorist attack vs a spirit group? I get we love football but that's not even apples and Oranges. Thats... apples and GMO modified asparagus grown from the enriched soil from the moon.

13 hours ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

My God

OK, WAY over the top, but it at least it got your attention. It takes a lot to get the attention of North Texas fans......especially in the off season. AND at least four people liked it..😎

Seriously, the only thing that represents a "tradition" at NT is it's propensity for dealing with a problem by creating, (or allowing the creation of), some bureaucratic entity or group in which to pass the buck should someone have a complaint. And giving them the runaround is our most long-standing reaction to complaints/concerns.  

Why do we need a new spirit group when there is one that already exists......The TALONS.  Why don't the Talons recruit a group of "maniacs" into their organization and populate the same student section? It's my understanding that the Talons have a budget and are given money for their organization every year. The Talons are supposed to be in charge of spirit at North Texas. If they aren't getting that done, (and it's my assessment that they aren't), then GET SOMEONE IN THERE THAT CAN, AND KEEP THE NAME OF ONE OF THE LONGEST RUNNING STUDENT SPIRIT GROUPS IN OUR SCHOOL'S HISTORY.

Our mascot is the EAGLE. A group called the TALONS is the perfect name for an active student spirit organization. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, Udomann said:

Wait, you're telling me my asparagus is being grown on the moon??  

Talk about wasteful bureaucracy...now we're using NASA to fly farmers into space (or did we create yet ANOTHER space farming organization?!).   Are they using that new branch of the military, the "Space Force", to harvest these crops?   And are we blowing taxpayer money to grow only asparagus?   Shouldn't we be at least growing corn, carrots, or some other crop as well?   

And are we even really on the moon when we're doing this farming?   Is this yet another CGI lunar landing?   Did we create another government bureaucracy to film this fake space farming??   How much is that costing?  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/3/2024 at 9:38 PM, Matt from A700 said:

Excited as the student section at The Stadium Formerly Known as Apogee has been missing some organized intensity for a while now. But it also raises my curiosity even more... where have the Talons been?

Maybe a little unfair on my part, but as far as creating "excitement" around this announcement especially in the social media space, it was pretty underwhelming.  Glad they are trying, but I don't think this is going to inspire more students to attend.  

• Oh Boy! 1

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Talk about wasteful bureaucracy...now we're using NASA to fly farmers into space (or did we create yet ANOTHER space farming organization?!).   Are they using that new branch of the military, the "Space Force", to harvest these crops?   And are we blowing taxpayer money to grow only asparagus?   Shouldn't we be at least growing corn, carrots, or some other crop as well?   

And are we even really on the moon when we're doing this farming?   Is this yet another CGI lunar landing?   Did we create another government bureaucracy to film this fake space farming??   How much is that costing?  

Yes. But don't forget the apples.

1 hour ago, keith said:

Maybe a little unfair on my part, but as far as creating "excitement" around this announcement especially in the social media space, it was pretty underwhelming.  Glad they are trying, but I don't think this is going to inspire more students to attend.  

Obviously, this can only be a net positive for student attendance. I just think it will be a VERY minor positive as long as the team is mediocre to bad. I have to assume the "Maniacs" were already going to football games and encouraging others to do the same. I think this announcement just means the leaders of the "Maniacs" are now getting paid by the AD to use the official Maniac's social platforms to increase student awareness of football games. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

This is an important topic.  What motivates a UNT student to attend a game for the first time?   Social media, school spirit, friends, opponent, interest in sports?  

Friends over anything else. Word of mouth is still the #1 most powerful form of marketing. Doesn't matter if you know the rules of the sport, we need to make sure home football games are still "the cool thing to do" no matter what your major is.

A close second, especially for our student base, would be a semester's tuition raffle. I think that really impacted attendance during the CBI run. I'd still jump for a 1/8 deduction on my student loan debt.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Rest assured... if taxes are being paid then assume it's being blown. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1