On a scale of 1 to 10...

For UNT I’m probably around a 3 or 4.  For all of the rest of CFB (daughter goes to a P5 and wife is a big supporter of Baylor) I’m at a 0.  I’m not buying tickets to or watching a game involving A5 teams after they screwed everyone and everything.  The settlement they forced upon us to cover for their cheating was the last straw.

I badly want a way to stick it to the A5 schools while helping UNT as much as I can.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

NIL is well on the way to destroying college sports.  Anyone that can't see that, is either a fan of the very top tier or is not at all interested in college sports.  

I have never been less interested in NT sports since I enrolled there fifty plus years ago.  The completely inept or/and scared administrators and coaches who continue to remain silent and let the NCAA and court system ruin college sports should be all terminated.  

The pros are a much more enticing choice than college, because they do understand that competition is the basis of their success.  I never thought I would rather watch a random pro game more than a meaningful college game, but I am now there.  

My rating for NT sports is still around 5, but that is compared to a 10 prior to this NIL nonsense. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

NIL is well on the way to destroying college sports.  Anyone that can't see that, is either a fan of the very top tier or is not at all interested in college sports.  

I have never been less interested in NT sports since I enrolled there fifty plus years ago.  The completely inept or/and scared administrators and coaches who continue to remain silent and let the NCAA and court system ruin college sports should be all terminated.  

The pros are a much more enticing choice than college, because they do understand that competition is the basis of their success.  I never thought I would rather watch a random pro game more than a meaningful college game, but I am now there.  

My rating for NT sports is still around 5, but that is compared to a 10 prior to this NIL nonsense. 

Agree...it's a sad state of affairs and I never would have believed that I could have lost so much interest in college sports after being such an avid fan for decades but that is where I am now

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I think what everyone's experiencing is less a decline in excitement about the upcoming season but more a setting in to being unaffected by offseason news/rumors.

Since verbal commitments are increasingly flimsy and spring rosters are no indication of how things will look in the fall, it's hard to feel emotional investment in the spring is justified.

Once the ball's kicked off in September, I think we'll all be back where we were in terms of engagement.

• Skeptical Eagle 3

But my interest in the entire college football season is around a 2.5

I’m sure it will pick up around the end of July. Or maybe not. 

but following the first lawsuit or player that gets fired or traded is like a 3.5 

Edited by TheColonyEagle

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I have a diversive opinion on the pro side. We are about to see a generation of spoiled overpaid college kids demanding more as a rookie than ever before. They will work less and expect more because now they have expectations that can't last in terms of money or respect/experience 

The CFB correction will happen when pro teams realize they are getting a lesser product from universities that have enabled a the next class of spoiled kids.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

I have a diversive opinion on the pro side. We are about to see a generation of spoiled overpaid college kids demanding more as a rookie than ever before. They will work less and expect more because now they have expectations that can't last in terms of money or respect/experience 

The CFB correction will happen when pro teams realize they are getting a lesser product from universities that have enabled a the next class of spoiled kids.

Disagree, the pros are a business that depends on winning and attendance.   They are not going to throw money at players and because of the draft, don't have to depend on irrational fans to buy players.  

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Udomann said:

That’s an interesting take.  I hope you’re right.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

6 - but is almost exclusively because North Texas games (really tailgates) are where I see a lot of my friends that I don’t see otherwise…and because I’ve already bought tickets

When Emmitt is a “6”, you know there are big problems with college football. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Udomann said:

I don't understand this angle. 

Where are the NFL teams going to go when they don't want any more college football players? 

And how is the NFL going to catch this cat and put it back in the bag? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't understand this angle. 

Where are the NFL teams going to go when they don't want any more college football players? 

And how is the NFL going to catch this cat and put it back in the bag? 

I honestly do not know how it'll shake out. This whole thing has been bizarre. But if I had to make a guess..

Rule #1 of money is you don't touch another man's money. This goes double for big money, and NFL owners are the biggliest.  They also have a lot of influence over their alma maters.

You're right, the floodgates are open, so you can't close it. You control it. I foresee contacts and salary caps becoming relevant at the school level. I also expect it to break into 2 divisions because unfortunately G5 just cannot compete financially. It will resemble the NFL control structure more, but obviously being higher education facilities there will be distinct differences. But anything that improves physical competition (not monetary) will be pushed for by these influences. 

I'm also 100% wrong on this because the shit show is just starting and who knows what will happen tomorrow

• Puking Eagle 1

3 because of the NIL and especially the portal. New roster every year. Best players moving on. No loyalty. I just can't get into college sports these days.

I still love my school and hope they do well. But, I won't pay any attention to college games other than NT.

Sadly, the only way there will be any change is when the network ratings for college sports starts to drop. This means the P4's.  Attendance is already hurting.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2024 at 7:18 PM, Udomann said:

What is this based on?

Additionally, if you want to take a fatalistic view to all this, I would say that either way it won't matter much, because football will have run it's course in the next twenty years as it gets slowly ravaged/undone by rule changes, safety regulations and a growing impact on the health of those who play it.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/31/2024 at 8:32 PM, NT80 said:

The players don’t seem to care about the school they play for anymore.  Why should I care about them?  The paycheck is their priority, then they go somewhere else.

The HC and AD both expressed public concern recently about where our level is headed.  I agree.  It’s not good for the fans. If it’s not good for the fans then it’s not good for the program thus not good for the school. 

I have news for everyone. Because of our "traditional" level of support and attendance at games, our players level of "care" or "loyalty" was always pretty minimal as it was. "Down the corridor of years" my observation of North Texas "fans" was that they were more likely to remember obscure Dallas Cowboy players than former (hard working) NT starters who never made it past their careers here at North Texas. Unless you were an Abner Haynes, Joe Green, Steve Ramsey, or maybe Cedric Hardman or Spider Lockhart, you were pretty much forgotten by the fan base.   

Loyalty is a two-way street.

• Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Loyalty was not the issue.  My comment about players not caring for the school they play for has more to do about NIL and playing-for-pay these days.   It is about their commitment to NT, their desire to stay their remaining college playing career.  Commitment and loyalty are different things.  Loyalty is giving back to the school after graduation, by continued gift, support, or attendance.   

How many of the players you named above would have stayed at NT in today's NIL era?   

zero

• Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, NT80 said:

How many of the players you named above would have stayed at NT in today's NIL era?   

The same number of great players, Dickerson, James, etc..., that would have signed with SMU without a paycheck, new car and coke fueled coed.

• Upvote 3

On 6/2/2024 at 6:29 PM, akriesman said:

3 because of the NIL and especially the portal. New roster every year. Best players moving on. No loyalty. I just can't get into college sports these days.

I still love my school and hope they do well. But, I won't pay any attention to college games other than NT.

Sadly, the only way there will be any change is when the network ratings for college sports starts to drop. This means the P4's.  Attendance is already hurting.

I love north Texas, but ill actually pay more attention to other games.  those games are a minor league of football for me, I have no attachment, no care.  there are just games that don't matter, don't affect me....they are just purely entertainment.  I already don't know the players, so who cares.

12 hours ago, golfingomez said:

What is this based on?

Additionally, if you want to take a fatalistic view to all this, I would say that either way it won't matter much, because football will have run it's course in the next twenty years as it gets slowly ravaged/undone by rule changes, safety regulations and a growing impact on the health of those who play it.

The NFL will never not play the game. Colleges... that's a different story. They're currently playing this dog and pony show with the players while trying to appease the courts, but it's not sustainable. Even for the elites. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2024 at 9:27 AM, THOR said:

1 for the football....10 for the tailgate...tailgating is all I care about anymore

Sorry, but I’m not driving 5 hours to tailgate.  I want to see some UNT football!

• Upvote 3