In the new NIL era how should UNT athletics be focused?

38 members have voted

1. 1. In the new NIL era how should UNT athletics be focused?

• Keep all sports as is and be as good as you can be
    • Cut down the sports and focus on the ones you can really be good at
    • Add more sports like baseball and hockey

4 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

There is a lot of information yet to be processed. Is the NCAA going to require a certain number of sports? How will woman's sports be affected? Where is the money going to come from on a go forward basis? What will be the value of AAC t.v contract once the P4 conferences spin off? Would the G6 schools be better off by being pro active , leave the NCAA, and develop their own rules for membership? We will need to do it sooner or later when the P4 conferences move on. Also, the legal rights of college athletes is driving this and the NCAA is powerless to prevent change .

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Baseball would make sense, baseball is still very popular in this region of the country.Β  UNT already has a hockey team but its not NCAA, they play in TCHC, they do fill up the arenas and the games are fun to watch, it would be nice if the university supported them a little better.Β 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Baseball would make sense, baseball is still very popular in this region of the country.Β  UNT already has a hockey team but its not NCAA, they play in TCHC, they do fill up the arenas and the games are fun to watch, it would be nice if the university supported them a little better.Β 

I can't imagine UNT adding another non revenue sport that would require at least $10 million+ just to construct a venue. What I can imagine is North Texas dropping as many sports as possible in order to keep those remaining financially viable. We are headed into a financial abyss that is unprecedented in amateur sports. Historically our athletic department has been underfunded and while I hate to yell that the sky is falling it well may be. I just don't see a silver lining for G5 athletic programs.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, wardly said:

We are headed into a financial abyss that is unprecedented in amateur sports.

College Athletics is better than Pro-Sports...get paid...change schools every year to the highest bidder. IMO...it ain't amateur sports anymore.

NIL may very well be the death to many G5 non revenue sports.

• Upvote 6

As of now, yes. However the future seems unclear. I can see UNT with men's basketball and football, women's basketball, softball, volleyball, and soccer with everything else eliminated including track and field. In fact , some of the women's programs mentioned could be eliminated as well with just enough programs to satisfy Title IX. I think that when the G5 programs go their separate way that the NCAA will be unable to impose program requirements on its members. This is just a guess and by golly of an old man [81] who has seen many changes in college athletics when players were amateurs. This is no longer the case in a "pay for play" environment where the rules are being decided in the courtroom instead of the boardroom. The new financial requirements are overwhelming to programs like North Texas as where does the money to compete come from? It's no longer bricks and sticks which we have invested in just to level the playing field. It's the same question; what do we want, what do we need, and what are we willing to pay for? TheΒ  next few years are going to be very challenging and some schools may remember that their mission isΒ  academics, not athletics, and decide to drop out of the race , similar to the decision UTA made decades ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, wardly said:

I can't imagine UNT adding another non revenue sport that would require at least $10 million+ just to construct a venue. What I can imagine is North Texas dropping as many sports as possible in order to keep those remaining financially viable. We are headed into a financial abyss that is unprecedented in amateur sports. Historically our athletic department has been underfunded and while I hate to yell that the sky is falling it well may be. I just don't see a silver lining for G5 athletic programs.

This

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I read an article from 2020 that said prior to then β€œNCAA rules required Division l schools to sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity sports….But because of Covid, five FBS conferences including AAC and CUSA asked the NCAA to relax Division l requirements.”

Not sure of the current requirements, but there is your answer of what we were required to sponsor and why.Β 

If given the option we should maximize revenue sports (sports that can have attendance like baseball) and drop non-attendance non-revenue sports like cross country, track, golf as much as possible.Β 

13 hours ago, RBP79 said:

College Athletics is better than Pro-Sports...get paid...change schools every year to the highest bidder. IMO...it ain't amateur sports anymore.

NIL may very well be the death to many G5 non revenue sports.

You can leave out the IMO because it’s a fact, not an opinion.

Is the death of non revenue sports an unintended consequence or a sacrificial lamb?

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, NT80 said:

I read an article from 2020 that said prior to then β€œNCAA rules required Division l schools to sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity sports….But because of Covid, five FBS conferences including AAC and CUSA asked the NCAA to relax Division l requirements.”

Not sure of the current requirements, but there is your answer of what we were required to sponsor and why.Β 

If given the option we should maximize revenue sports (sports that can have attendance like baseball) and drop non-attendance non-revenue sports like cross country, track, golf as much as possible.Β 

With the price of pay to play in college now a reality I don't see G6 programs having the financial resources to support 16 varsity sports nor to add an expensive non revenue sport such as baseball. In fact I might put college baseball on the endangered list for G6 programs. The truth of the matter is that we are entering uncharted waters and if I was an AD or university President I would be very reluctant to spend monies until the smoke clears. [ Note: I refer to D1 conferences as P4 and G6 as the PAC 2 + MWC will not be included with the Big 12, ACC,Big 10, or SECΒ  in the future.]

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My guess is that there are some Power Schools and a lot of G5 schools that will end up playing some kind of FCS level of football in their future. Reduced scholarships, reduced NIL, and being controlled by the NCAA, while the Powerful 40-50 leave the NCAA and create their own level of play for their sports. These are the 50 brands that will vie for that new setup

Washington, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USCw, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Tech, OU, OSU, KU, KSU, Nebraska, Iowa, ISU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU, tOSU, Penn State, ND, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Virginia, Va Tech, UNC, NC State, USCe, Clemson, Georgia, GTech, FSU, Florida, Miami. Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, MSU, LSU, Arkansas, Mizzou, Tennessee, Kentucky, Louisville, WVU, and Pitt.

I can see up to 32-48 of those programs being in a CFB setup, having a playoff system like the NFL, but using the big bowl locations for the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals.

What it means for teams like SMU, Baylor, TCU, UNT, UH, etc...I have no idea.

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

My guess is that there are some Power Schools and a lot of G5 schools that will end up playing some kind of FCS level of football in their future. Reduced scholarships, reduced NIL, and being controlled by the NCAA, while the Powerful 40-50 leave the NCAA and create their own level of play for their sports. These are the 50 brands that will vie for that new setup

Washington, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USCw, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Tech, OU, OSU, KU, KSU, Nebraska, Iowa, ISU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU, tOSU, Penn State, ND, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Virginia, Va Tech, UNC, NC State, USCe, Clemson, Georgia, GTech, FSU, Florida, Miami. Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, MSU, LSU, Arkansas, Mizzou, Tennessee, Kentucky, Louisville, WVU, and Pitt.

I can see up to 32-48 of those programs being in a CFB setup, having a playoff system like the NFL, but using the big bowl locations for the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals.

What it means for teams like SMU, Baylor, TCU, UNT, UH, etc...I have no idea.

Legally I don't think the NCAA can dictate NIL payments but I am not an attorney. I think the programs you listed can be part of the Power 50 programs if they choose except for UNT. I also think that not all of existing Power 50 will buy in but just a guess as everything is at present.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1