Reece Mooney and Stone Earle could be gone too

Earle didn't transfer earlier because he had not graduated to able to jump to ACU.  That is why he was out and then back  out and back out again.  He had the intention last year to go but had to wait to graduate. Good luck to him and he is not playing for the money but for the love of the game.  He wants to play.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

Earle didn't transfer earlier because he had not graduated to able to jump to ACU.  That is why he was out and then back  out and back out again.  He had the intention last year to go but had to wait to graduate. Good luck to him and he is not playing for the money but for the love of the game.  He wants to play.

I wish him well, but if he goes to ACU, I am not sure he will beat out Maverick McIvor.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

He could have stayed in the portal last December, since he was on track to graduate in May or, due to the injunction against NCAA, jumped to ACU or SHSU in Jan.

Once Chandler M. got paid to come here, he was penciled in as QB1 this fall—“follow the money” is how NIL and the portal work—Stone should have known he had been lied to.

He apparently figured it out in the past week and bailed. I feel for him.

And unless both he and the UNT staff were to want and agree for his return this summer, or his dad were Texas’ AG, I’m afraid it’s D3 or sit out this fall.

Edited by Ghost of Tate
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Tate said:

Once Chandler M. got paid to come here, he was penciled in as QB1 this fall—“follow the money” is how NIL and the portal work—Stone should have known he had been lied to.

"Penciled in," or carved in stone?  "Penciled in" would mean Stone would at least have a shot to win the starting job.

And what lie, specifically, was told to Stone, and who told it to him?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

"Penciled in," or carved in stone?  "Penciled in" would mean Stone would at least have a shot to win the starting job.

And what lie, specifically, was told to Stone, and who told it to him?

CM was told that CM is “the guy” (ie, he was promised he’ll be QB1, meaning there’d be only the facade of a QB competition).

SE was told “it’s an open competition, best man wins” (by OC/QB/HC, what’s it matter?).

This happens at nearly every D1 school. It’s the exception in the NIL-portal era for there to be a for real competition at QB.

When a transfer with Chandler‘s pedigree is taken in the portal + allocated NIL $s substantially higher than any other QB is getting, game over.

Edited by Ghost of Tate
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, Ghost of Tate said:

by OC/QB/HC, what’s it matter?

It matters if two people saying two different things are simply not on the same page, or at least not at the different times when they were said.  And it matters if the one saying something has the final say.

And it matters if someone is deliberately lying as to whether he automatically goes on my poop list.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

There's obviously an injury history and risk with CM and every starting QB.  I bet more than 40% of QBs that started game 1 didn't finished the season in FBS last year, for various reasons.   Backups are important and can lead to a starting job quickly, like Rogers last year here.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It matters if two people saying two different things are simply not on the same page, or at least not at the different times when they were said.  And it matters if the one saying something has the final say.

And it matters if someone is deliberately lying as to whether he automatically goes on my poop list.

Your statement indicates that you lack an understanding of how today’s college football staffs work.

There is ZERO chance that the coaching staff (not analysts necessarily) isn’t in on who will be starting at QB when it’s pre-ordained or determined before/early in camp.

It’s candidly discussed in coaches’ meetings (with entire staff or the offensive side of the ball) and codified in coaches-only depth charts.

When any of the HC/OC/QB coach tells a QB recruit or roster QB anything related to open/no competition, it’s been orchestrated.

And often it’s understood anyway, when NIL is allocated across the QB room and roster.

Thus my point: it don’t matter.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

Have you seen the numbers that Chandler Morris puts up against great competition when he is healthy?!!

Obviously he will be the starter here and if he can stay healthy then even Chandler Rogers will forget who Chandler Rogers was. 

But even behind Chandler Morris, UNT was still a great opportunity for Stone Earle. Certainly, there would be certain zone read packages that would not be worth risking the health of Morris, that Earle could run. He would have gotten some snaps with us this season no matter what.  But he’s not going to be handed the starting job at ACU as they have some real guys there too. 

The problem is that if Morris gets hurt, Earle would not have been the replacement. He fell behind Cash McCollum and was No. 3 on a 3 man depth chart at UNT. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Ghost of Tate said:

CM was told that CM is “the guy” (ie, he was promised he’ll be QB1, meaning there’d be only the facade of a QB competition).

SE was told “it’s an open competition, best man wins” (by OC/QB/HC, what’s it matter?).

This happens at nearly every D1 school. It’s the exception in the NIL-portal era for there to be a for real competition at QB.

When a transfer with Chandler‘s pedigree is taken in the portal + allocated NIL $s substantially higher than any other QB is getting, game over.

Is that the case with Chandler Rogers at Cal?  Sonic Rogers doesn’t start at Cal, your statement has no teeth to it. Game over

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Is that the case with Chandler Rogers at Cal?  Sonic Rogers doesn’t start at Cal, your statement has no teeth to it. Game over

Lulz.  I neither know nor care the allocation of NIL C. Rogers got from Cal, and what he was promised/told when he was recruited there.

He may or may not have decided on Cal based on the above.

I can tell you that the schools who take portal QBs and have NIL universally operate this way. It’s the few exceptions that don’t (the QB  didn't have leverage in the portal vis-a-vis the QB talent on the roster, or shits the bed once in practices).

Try again.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1