Reece Mooney and Stone Earle could be gone too

26 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I don’t mean this a negative comment towards Stone, but he’s an odd past year.  Transfers to UNT, wins the starting job, chosen as a team captain, loses the starting job, enters the transfer portal, exits the transfer portal, and now this.  

I wish him the best.  

Did he hop into the portal again after spring when the window was open?  I’m curious if he is transferring again, or simply quit.

• Upvote 3

I have to imagine the coaches told him they are going with Chandler Morris and he was tired of getting messed around. He’ll probably head back to ACU in the hopes of winning that job in fall camp.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, Ghost of Tate said:

Did he hop into the portal again after spring when the window was open?  I’m curious if he is transferring again, or simply quit.

No idea.  First I heard of him being gone was your post.  That’s why I went with the phrase “now this”, because I don’t know what’s going on.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

13 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I have to imagine the coaches told him they are going with Chandler Morris and he was tired of getting messed around. He’ll probably head back to ACU in the hopes of winning that job in fall camp.

ACU definitely makes sense. I hope he still has time to win the job.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

• Harry changed the title to Reece Mooney and Stone Earle could be gone too
On 5/4/2024 at 7:28 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

If I'm being completely honest, I don't even really care who turns into commits. I've had a hard time caring about the recruiting cycles in football lately. You get guys, several don't even make it to campus or leave before the fall, and others end up being busts so the hype isn't even worth investing in emotionally. Basketball is more steady, IMO.

Yep.  I used to enjoy posting all our new offers and then tracking our commits.  Done with that.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, GreenBacker said:

ACU definitely makes sense. I hope he still has time to win the job.  

I hope the young man entered the portal when the window was open in April — even though it wasn’t public knowledge— so that he has a chance to play elsewhere this fall.

If he did not, then he would not be immediately eligible.

By all accounts, he’s a really good kid. if he simply quit and isn’t transferring, then my guess is that he swallowed hook, line, and sinker coaches telling him that it’s an open competition for QB1.

• Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

"Getting messed around?"  How about not winning a starting spot/getting beat out/not being good enough?

How about fall practice has not yet happened? I imagine they told him he had a shot to win the starting job to get him to back out of the portal before spring. They probably told him that Morris would be the starter going into fall and he didn’t like that. Seems like the staff may have just used him in order to have an experienced quarterback putting in good reps for the rest of the offense during spring practice. If true, pretty terrible thing to do a kid that could’ve been working towards winning the ACU job in the spring.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Ghost of Tate said:

I hope the young man entered the portal when the window was open in April — even though it wasn’t public knowledge— so that he has a chance to play elsewhere this fall.

If he did not, then he would not be immediately eligible.

By all accounts, he’s a really good kid. if he simply quit and isn’t transferring, then my guess is that he swallowed hook, line, and sinker coaches telling him that it’s an open competition for QB1.

This.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

How about fall practice has not yet happened? I imagine they told him he had a shot to win the starting job to get him to back out of the portal before spring. They probably told him that Morris would be the starter going into fall and he didn’t like that. Seems like the staff may have just used him in order to have an experienced quarterback putting in good reps for the rest of the offense during spring practice. If true, pretty terrible thing to do a kid that could’ve been working towards winning the ACU job in the spring.

That is bad speculation without any proof

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

So both Mooney and Earle gone. That means QB1 Morris, QB2 Cash, and...?

In addition to Cash, we have two other freshman QBs on the roster, Tom von Grote and Drew Mestemaker. Neither of them look particularly polished (though von Grote looks very athletic on tape). Just briefly reviewing hudl vids for both, von Grote looks like the better fit for QB3. Mestemaker's arm is underwhelming.  However, I doubt Morris wants to put them on the depth chart.

Ruder is still on the roster at linebacker. With the added depth at LB, I bet he gets put back to QB. That's still a frighteningly small and inexperienced QB room.

EDIT:

We also have Ashton Gray as a true freshman. He played QB in High School but the staff has him on the roster at RB, which is probably more appropriate for his skillset, but he could be a candidate for the QB room as well. 

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 3