Volleyball team returning to NVIC for first time since 2017

Matt from A700

No word on opponent yet, but the ladies' season isn't over, which is awesome considering their great first year in the AAC - who does not have a conference tournament. Other teams in the AAC to make the tournament are East Carolina, FAU, South Florida, Tulsa, and Wichita State. Other notable teams to make the tournament are MTSU, UTA, and UTEP.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I am not familiar with this tournament. Is this like the NIT for volleyball?

Yes, that is correct. The last time we played in this tournament was in 2017, and we were eliminated at home by TCU in five sets. I went to that game, and remember the TCU girls stopping play to wipe the floors anytime UNT got any momentum. That building was rocking.

On 11/27/2023 at 9:29 AM, Matt from A700 said:

First two rounds are at UTEP. We have to play 21-9 UTEP first. If we get by them, we'd play the winner of FAU/UTA.

We swept FAU, and got swept by UTA.

https://www.womensnivc.com/bracket.html

Not competitive against UTEP in anything is not a good look.  

I don't know how you label this year as anything but disappointing.  Porter is now 33-31 at NT. but 20-13in the AAC

Apparently recruiting McNeese's coach and players is not a recipe for much success in a tougher conference

I think her recruiting will be a strong signal of her future at NT.  However, this last year's team looked physically better than most of their opposition.  They just didn't seem as well coached and make way too many errors.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not competitive against UTEP in anything is not a good look.  

I don't know how you label this year as anything but disappointing.  Porter is now 33-31 at NT. but 20-13in the AAC

Apparently recruiting Texas Commerce's coach and players is not a recipe for much success in a tougher conference

I think her recruiting will be a strong signal of her future at NT.  However, this last year's team looked physically better than most of their opposition.  They just didn't seem as well coached and make way too many errors.  

The volleyball team actually had the better conference record in the AAC compared to football or soccer. The turned it up after getting swept to UTA late in nonconference play. I was more disappointed the AAC doesn't have a conference tournament. However, besides two good wins against a Rice team that was ranked last year, we didn't really challenge the other other top teams in the division like SMU and Memphis.

Note, I don't have much X & O knowledge about volleyball, my high school didn't even have a team... but I do agree about the errors. The errors would often look sub-DI bad.

If we had the size advantage over other opponents, the opponents usually used theirs more to their advantage than we did at the net.

Since we didn't fall back, especially in a new conference, I'd call that a step forward. But I have no idea how the recruiting's looking like.

• 2 weeks later...