The Grass Isn't Always Greener

jtm0097

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

How pathetic and disgusting what college football has become then. Would never coach up or want my son to ever have that mentality or life. 

I almost typed out a whole reply to you but then I remembered some of the most out of bounds egregious things you have said before in the basketball forum and I'll just let it go.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Maybe these transfers were thinking that by playing for a "big school" they would immediately become NFL material. LOL!

I’m quite certain that’s what many have/had in mind. They keep looking for that chance to showcase, but sometimes just doesn’t happen. Now that the transfer portal has been readjusted to make it more difficult to transfer a second time around, I’m sure many may reconsider

3 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

I’m quite certain that’s what many have/had in mind. They keep looking for that chance to showcase, but sometimes just doesn’t happen. Now that the transfer portal has been readjusted to make it more difficult to transfer a second time around, I’m sure many may reconsider

Well they do have a better chance elsewhere, unfortunately. But really I would bet most of them that go to P5s realize the league is a long shot here or there but much better to finish with 50k+ (of 150k if the rumors are true) than with the peanuts they would get here (if anything). Much easier to start out working life with a little nest egg. I hate it but it’s reality.

A lot of this stuff plays out in soccer where a starter gets bought by a big club and basically sits while making big bank. I think the former GK for Chelsea Edouard Mendy said that its life-changing money and he has to think beyond the sporting effort. 

I've long said I welcome the professionalization of college sports. It would remove some of the lamer things about it --even if it isn't perfect. Right now UNT gets no compensation for the development time spent on Gumms, Roberts et al. A transfer fee would help smooth those relationships a bit. 

For the players, a wage changes the game a bit. Maybe they would love to stay at NT and if they got a little wage that means they do. NT has served as something of a development ground for some bigger programs (fine) but if they could make it a little bit more of a lucrative strategy. I mean this is what Ajax, Porto, Brighton do. All while still competing. 

--- 

Beyond the above, the practical reality is that NT has to compete with other schools for talent. And that means if $40K to sit in a nice dorm and be happy just being on a team is the level we need to compete with? Well that's that. It is true that NT is going to have to sell playing time and potential rather than shiny stuff and history. This is the nature of reality, folks.