DRC: UNT press conference notebook -- Mean Green healthier, rested coming off bye week

Brett Vito

I’m so tired of reading that we have won 7 straight conf. games in the worst football conference. Only one of those teams were good and we would not have won it without the Murphy twins. Go rewatch that game they destroyed their tackles. It’s nothing of note, nothing to be proud of. The UNLV and SMU games showed nothing has changed. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

37 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I’m so tired of reading that we have won 7 straight conf. games in the worst football conference. Only one of those teams were good and we would not have won it without the Murphy twins. Go rewatch that game they destroyed their tackles. It’s nothing of note, nothing to be proud of. The UNLV and SMU games showed nothing has changed. 

I guess you would be happier if NT lost 7 straight CUSA games.

Teams' ability does change over a season.  Hopefully, NT can continue to improve. 

So now NT only beat UTSA last year because of the often mentioned weather, but also the Murphy twins. 

I hope NT continues to win because I am a fan, but now also for posters like you to explain why it doesn't mean anything because of the schedule, bad conference, or any other excuse to diminish the accomplishment. 

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

46 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Bert, Littrell and co. are going to keep riding that narrative to another extension. Leave out the fact this team has no marquee win, guaranteed if asked, they would tell it's UTSA last year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Bert, Littrell and co. are going to keep riding that narrative to another extension. Leave out the fact this team has no marquee win, guaranteed if asked, they would tell it's UTSA last year. 

No marquee wins, but moral victories abound.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What do we have to show for this miraculous run?

At least Dickey put hardware in the Trophy Case when he was in the same situation.

Again, I suppose you rather NT lose, were you will get a bigger audience for your rants against Littrell.

If you think the competition in the early Belt (the only time DD won) consisting of several brand new D1 programs is comparable to the current CUSA, then I have my doubts about your current assessment of NT.

Winning or even finishing in the top 4 of current CUSA is much more impressive to me than DD's success in the Belt. 

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Again, I suppose you rather NT lose, were you will get a bigger audience for your rants against Littrell.

If you think the competition in the early Belt (the only time DD won) consisting of several brand new D1 programs is comparable to the current CUSA, then I have my doubts about your current assessment of NT.

Winning or even finishing in the top 4 of current CUSA is much more impressive to me than DD's success in the Belt. 

Typical #OldDentonLives take. The problem is winning just enough to keep his job. It's one thing if he is making $500K a year, but he, and our AD, are in the top levels of G5.

Top 4 more impressive. Who is a better than average team in CUSA this season?

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Typical #OldDentonLives take. The problem is winning just enough to keep his job. It's one thing if he is making $500K a year, but he, and our AD, are in the top levels of G5.

Top 4 more impressive. Who is a better than average team in CUSA this season?

Yeah, I am definitely OLD Denton; I guess a label on anybody that does not agree with you.   

You are more interested in your agenda of Littrell hate than NT doing well. 

I also like all this ado about how much a coach makes.    A coach is not better or worse based on his salary range. 

I am not even a LIttrell supporter, but I understand he is not going anywhere till the year is completed.  However, it is great that multiple threads about firing Littrell are generated every week whether the team is performing well or not.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

49 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Oh man, you got me!   The only reason I post on gmg.com is to tee off on SL!!!  
Of course I want to win!  Why the heck would I be here if I wasn’t a fan of NT?!?

What I DON’T want, is to remain in a cycle of beating up on awful C-USA teams (a cycle that comes to a screeching halt next year anyway), only to get exposed in a bowl game & nonconference the following year.   You know, the EXACT same scenario we lived out with DD in the Belt.  With the exception of the aforementioned hardware.

And we were less than 5 years removed from D1aa when we joined the SBC ourselves!  You’ve got some serious revision going on there.

EDIT:  I think when you’re talking about wanting to see NT “do well” is strictly nearsighted.  I’m trying to see it from up high, and I can see a cycle starting. One I don’t want my beloved Alma Mater to get stuck in.  Do I want to see us win every game?   Absolutely!   Do I want to see the bowl drought & nonconference shellackings continue?  No.  Because I think we can & should do better.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, untphd said:

No marquee wins, but moral victories abound.

Realistically, where are the moral victories?  We get our ass end handed to us anytime we play someone good (and sometimes when we play someone not so good). 

I honestly don’t know if SL has had a single game I’d call a moral victory.  2019 @ Cal?
2017 @ Iowa?

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh man, you got me!   The only reason I post on gmg.com is to tee off on SL!!!  
Of course I want to win!  Why the heck would I be here if I wasn’t a fan of NT?!?

Where did I state that the only reason you post here to blast Littrell?  OK, answer me a simple question; do you want NT to win out and Littrell get a big extension on his contract?  

What I DON’T want, is to remain in a cycle of beating up on awful C-USA teams (a cycle that comes to a screeching halt next year anyway), only to get exposed in a bowl game & nonconference the following year.   You know, the EXACT same scenario we lived out with DD in the Belt.  With the exception of the aforementioned hardware.

Again, CUSA is not a great even G5 conference, but it is not even comparable with the young Sun Belt.   I want NT to win all their games including in the OC schedule.   However, I do realize that it is almost impossible to get a home oc game with any D1 team.   However, the future schedule is going to be better assuming teams do not cancel. 

I get it every team that NT beats is awful and wins are meaningless.  

And we were less than 5 years removed from D1aa when we joined the SBC ourselves!  You’ve got some serious revision going on there.

5 years from D1aa after stupidly dropping down in classification.   Ignore about 40 years of D1 play prior to that. 

EDIT:  I think when you’re talking about wanting to see NT “do well” is strictly nearsighted.  I’m trying to see it from up high, and I can see a cycle starting. One I don’t want my beloved Alma Mater to get stuck in.  Do I want to see us win every game?   Absolutely!   Do I want to see the bowl drought & nonconference shellackings continue?  No.  Because I think we can & should do better.

Not sure what the view is up high, and I assume you know any true NT fan wants a win in every game.  However, I have seen more than a few post on here that they want NT football to lose were Littrell will be replaced. 

The NT messageboard is a place to discuss and cuss the status of NT athletics.  I just don't understand the rationale of so much mid-season criticism of Littrell just when NT football is showing improvement.  

The football team will decide Littrell fate, not a bunch of low donation fans. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/12/2022 at 2:43 PM, GrandGreen said:

I guess you would be happier if NT lost 7 straight CUSA games.

Teams' ability does change over a season.  Hopefully, NT can continue to improve. 

So now NT only beat UTSA last year because of the often mentioned weather, but also the Murphy twins. 

I hope NT continues to win because I am a fan, but now also for posters like you to explain why it doesn't mean anything because of the schedule, bad conference, or any other excuse to diminish the accomplishment. 

Yes, I would be happy if we lost out last season that would mean our hack of a coach would have been replaced before this season and the new HC would hopefully be laying the foundation of a real program lead by a real coach.

I agree, teams abilities do change over a season. The problem is they should be improving from game one, not reaching their floor in game 6 and hoping to reach their ceiling by seasons end. That happened last season and it didn't translate to the next.

They took over games for us last year, they absolutely did. I have been a fan since 2004 and I have never seen two better pass rushers wearing green. There were actually people on this forum trying to give credit to Coach Asswaters for their success. How many defensive lineman have made a jump this season under his tutelage? 

That's fair, I get it. But our coach is in his seventh season, seventh. With zero conference championships, zero bowl wins, zero ten win seasons, three straight losing seasons, and an abysmal record vs. teams that end the season above .500, he's a bad coach and the sooner we cut ties the better our chances of being good in the AAC become.

• Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1