DRC: This week's North Texas newsletter has hit subscribers' email and looks at Mike Bloesch's move to coaching QBs

Brett Vito

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: This week's North Texas newsletter has hit subscribers' email and looks at Mike Bloesch's move to coaching QBs
1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Why cant we hire an actual QB coach? Someone that actually has a experience and can coach up our Qb's.

We wonder why we dont have a successful track record under center outside of Mason Fine (Harrell)

We have this young man who just happens to have graduated high school the same year as our starting quarterback.

"Quinn had a huge impact on my career," Fine, UNT's all-time leading passer, told FootballScoop. "He was the first person to teach me the offense, and if it wasn't for those meetings we had all summer I wouldn't have been able to grasp it like I did as a freshman. He was the guy who showed me what it took to be successful at this level."

Don’t sleep on QS.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

Our QB's need to work on moving to the second level on the outside zone runs, but they're really excelling at their pulling technique. Earle had a hell of a trap block on Rod Brown the other day in practice. Pretty impressive considering there's a 100 lb difference between the two!

Oh, you're talking about reading coverages, looking off the safety, and hot reads? Yeah I got nothing on those

-Bloesch, probably

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Why cant we hire an actual QB coach? Someone that actually has a experience and can coach up our Qb's.

We wonder why we dont have a successful track record under center outside of Mason Fine (Harrell)

I'd feel a lot better about formally having a QB coach, too, but I have optimism that SL is leaning on Shanbour in some unofficial capacity...which I am fine with.

• Upvote 4

This article, mainly Coach Bloesch’s own words out of his own mouth, validates everything I’ve been saying since the announcement was made that he was going to coach QBs.  I was right about all of it.  
Tom And Jerry Reaction GIF by HBO Max

What’s concerning for me is this comment: “I tell people all the time that if you’re a Division I quarterback and can’t throw the ball, then we’re probably going to find a new quarterback.”  

So on a critical 3rd down play, when Aune makes the right read, but throws the ball at his receiver’s feet (we’ve seen it before, haven’t we?), Bloesch has no pointers for him on what went wrong on the throw & how to do better next time.  We’re counting on Quinn for that bit of coaching.  
Otherwise, I guess Bloesch will just say, “he can’t throw, we’re going to find a new QB”.  And we’d better hope Gunnell “can throw the ball”.  

I’m guessing Aune’s head start in understanding the offense is what won him the job.  Obviously he’s going to be clicking with what Bloesch wants to do more than a guy who just showed up a few months ago.

Bloesch was the OC last year, so the scheme probably isnt changing much.  And I certainly hope he was communicating with his QBs last year about pre-snap reads & whatnot like he’s doing now.  I just don’t get how this makes anything better.  

Oh well, I guess we’ll find out Saturday.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3

On 8/24/2022 at 10:39 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

What’s concerning for me is this comment: “I tell people all the time that if you’re a Division I quarterback and can’t throw the ball, then we’re probably going to find a new quarterback.”  

So on a critical 3rd down play, when Aune makes the right read, but throws the ball at his receiver’s feet (we’ve seen it before, haven’t we?), Bloesch has no pointers for him on what went wrong on the throw & how to do better next time.  We’re counting on Quinn for that bit of coaching.  
Otherwise, I guess Bloesch will just say, “he can’t throw, we’re going to find a new QB”.  And we’d better hope Gunnell “can throw the ball”.  

I see it the opposite way. If you’ve ever watched a quarterback camp they all go through the same mechanics, motions, and drills. Its like 100 guys making the same throw just at different velocities. If you are offered a P5 college scholarship to play quarterback, more than one person thinks you can throw the ball. If he makes a bad throw, he knows he made a bad throw and what he needs to do to correct it. If it is at the receivers feet, he needs to pick it up. If it is over their head, he needs to take some off of it. That is, provided that he was throwing to the receiver and not a particular spot of the field that the receiver didn’t get to. Quinn can tell him these thing but I guarantee he already knows when it happens.

Gunnel didn’t set high school records and have as many offers as he did because his mechanics were bad. Likewise, Aune wasn’t rated as the #31 pro style passer in the nation because he couldn’t throw a good ball.

It is a lot like a professional pitcher, every last one of them can pitch but one still gets away from them now and then.

This guy won 7 Cy Youngs and still threw some bad pitches.

secondpitch.gif

Edited by Cr1028
Thanks Adler
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I see it the opposite way. If you’ve ever watched a quarterback camp they all go through the same mechanics, motions, and drills. Its like 100 guys making the same throw just at different velocities. If you are offered a P5 college scholarship to play quarterback, more than one person thinks you can throw the ball. If he makes a bad throw, he knows he made a bad throw and what he needs to do to correct it. If it is at the receivers feet, he needs to pick it up. If it is over their head, he needs to take some off of it. That is, provided that he was throwing to the receiver and not a particular spot of the field that the receiver didn’t get to. Quinn can tell him these thing but I guarantee he already knows when it happens.

Gunnel didn’t set high school records and have as many offers as he did because his mechanics were bad. Likewise, Aune wasn’t rated as the #31 pro style passer in the nation because he couldn’t throw a good ball.

It is alot like a professional pitcher, every last one of them can pitch but one still gets away from them now and then.

This guy won 7 Cy Youngs and still threw some bad pitches.

secondpitch.gif

I get all that.  But I think there's a big difference between missing a throw sometimes, VS a 51% comp rate (which was 2nd to last in all of FBS last year!  https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/755/p3).

The idea behind having a QB coach that actually knows how to coach QBs (like Harrell) is that he can immediately help the QB coming off the field, technically.  It's a benefit.  The Offensive Coordinator is still going to make sure his QBs know reads & whatnot anyway. 

The only real benefit in having Bloesch as QB coach in addition to OC (other than getting rid of Joseph to bring in Clements) is that he gets a little more time going over X's/O's with the QBs instead of coaching his OL guys.  Obviously coach Joseph wasn't on the same page with Bloesch.  And hey, having 2 of the best OL coaches in FBS on your staff is not a bad thing!   I just don't think it helps the QB that is struggling with accuracy.

Maybe having that extra time to understand scheme will help him make better decisions with the ball and we'll see the comp% come up that way.  We'll see in 3 days.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Sorry, but how did you jump to this conclusion?

You don't have to have played the position to be able to coach the mechanics or provide pointers.  Being a QB coach doesn't require one to have played QB or even be successful at it.  Many of the best coaches were fair players that had to learn the nuances of the position/game to succeed.  This is also true in baseball.

For example:

Dave Duncan: considered one of the best pitching coaches in baseball.  Played catcher for eleven years with a career batting average of .214 and a little more than 600 hits.

Andy Reid: Was an OL at BYU who spent the first nine years of his coaching career coaching the OL.

Kyle Shanahan: Played WR at Texas.

Matt Lafleur: Played WR at Western Michigan and QB at a Div. II school.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I get all that.  But I think there's a big difference between missing a throw sometimes, VS a 51% comp rate (which was 2nd to last in all of FBS last year!  https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/755/p3).

The idea behind having a QB coach that actually knows how to coach QBs (like Harrell) is that he can immediately help the QB coming off the field, technically.  It's a benefit.  The Offensive Coordinator is still going to make sure his QBs know reads & whatnot anyway. 

The only real benefit in having Bloesch as QB coach in addition to OC (other than getting rid of Joseph to bring in Clements) is that he gets a little more time going over X's/O's with the QBs instead of coaching his OL guys.  Obviously coach Joseph wasn't on the same page with Bloesch.  And hey, having 2 of the best OL coaches in FBS on your staff is not a bad thing!   I just don't think it helps the QB that is struggling with accuracy.

Maybe having that extra time to understand scheme will help him make better decisions with the ball and we'll see the comp% come up that way.  We'll see in 3 days.

I still don’t understand though. Harrell was so good because he was the OC and QB coach. Once he left, Mason played worse under Reeder. Aune also played better under Shanbour than he did under Joseph.