High school football

My Callisburg Wildcats play in 13-2A this year, and here are my predictions for that district:

1) Celina - no brainer, I also think they will win state. The last four years they have been in 2A, they won it all. The move down to 2A will mean dominance, last season they were an area finalist in 3A, finishing 2nd in district to state champion Gainesville. There is no Gainesville in this district, or all of 2A for that matter.

2) Aubrey - On the rise, facilities, talent, and record all have or will improve. They have a lot of depth in the backfield.

3) Argyle - There is a big drop off between Celina and Aubrey, and a big one here too. Any of the rest of the teams can take third place and sneak into the playoffs. I pick Argyle here because another offseason under Coach Rogers' offense will help them a lot even though they don't bring back experience at QB.

4) Prosper - Been to the playoffs the last two years, but must replace some key players. Could easily finish one spot higher.

5)Callisburg - The numbers are low, and the team was winless last year, but new Coach Bomar will turn around the attitude of the program-which is why they lost most of the games last year, not talent-and they will finish ahead of S&S this year. They could easily beat any team ahead of them other than Celina.

6) S&S - Last year they went from the wishbone to the spread and will be more proficient on offense this year. I don't know if they have the talent to make thier move yet, but they will improve.

High school scrimmages start this week.

So how will your high school's district (or other district you follow closely) shake out?

Here are some other districts I know about, but not nearly as much as 13-2A.

6-3A

1) Gainesville

2) Pilot Point

3) Sanger

4) Whitesboro

5) Pottsboro

6) Bowie

9-2A

1) Boyd

2) Jacksboro

3) Paradise

4) Nocona

5) Chico

6) Millsap

16-A

1) Muenster

2) Saint Jo

3) Lindsay

4) Petrolia

5) Collinsville

6) Era

7) Valley View

5)Callisburg - The numbers are low, and the team was winless last year, but new Coach Bomar will turn around the attitude of the program-which is why they lost most of the games last year, not talent-and they will finish ahead of S&S this year.  They could easily beat any team ahead of them other than Celina.

Coach,

Why do you think Jerry Bomar, who coached the best quarterback in the nation in his son Rhett, will have any success in Callisburg? He was a loser at Grand Prairie, with talent. Don't get me wrong, I think they are better than S&S, but there isn't another team in the district they can touch. Also Rogers will have Argyle ready to go. I think they are the second best team in 13-2A.

Several teams that beat Callisburg were not as good talent wise. Trust me, I felt bad for those players. It pretty much came down to three things: not knowing how to win, not having the confidence to do it, and that crap shotgun option play they ran so often I would call the play on the radio before it happend because everyone and their grandma knew what was coming.

When I talked to Bomar, he said the first thing he is trying to do is make the kids have the confidence that they can win. Having played under the previous coach, I can tell you he did the opposite of that. He also said that he will teach them how to win. That is tougher because it isn't something you can lay out for them, but I guess is a by-product of the confidence thing. Finally, I didn't see much of practice, but I doubt very seriously they will run that crap play they ran every other down last year. They have lost a lot of the key players to graduation or transfer, and he worked them so hard, that 17 had quit after two days and they are down to 44 now. At least he has the guys out that want to be and will work hard.

Coach Rogers at Argyle is a good coach, he got a lot of the guys that had only played basketball to come out for football and that helped, but he has no experience returning at quarterback. I am anxious to see how they deal with that, I have a feeling Rogers won't miss a beat. But the backs Aubrey trotted out there last year were very good, and they can control the ball better than any non-Bobcat team in the district. If Argyle's quarterback situation was a sure thing, I would put them ahead of Aubrey, but that is such a crucial part of their spread offense that I can't do it.

I should clarify my original statement. I don't think that Callisburg will have a good team, I picked them to finish 5th out of 6. All the teams ahead of them are better, but I would not be shocked if they won more than one district game (unless that game was Celina laugh.gif ).