DRC: Five quick thoughts on UNT's loss to SMU

Brett Vito

7 minutes ago, wardly said:

At the end of the day our defense looked like the same as the past few years, giving up multiple big plays. SMU scored td's on 58, 62, and 85 yards. I think Bennett is a good defense coach with nothing to work with.

I think the defense lost all momentum because offensive struggles.. watch the Dline earlier in the game compared to end.  Its pretty bad

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

I think the defense lost all momentum because offensive struggles.. watch the Dline earlier in the game compared to end.  Its pretty bad

Seems after the debunked wildcat call the momentum for Ruder & the offense shifted almost immediately & completely in SMU’s favor.  (I bet SL takes control of the play calling vs UAB although I bet that change won’t be advertised). 

••• Folks, SMU has had 27+ high profile portal transfers in recent seasons.  Their inspiration to begin that (then) new kind of recruiting modus operandi started (I would wager) the Sunday morning after UNT unhinged & dismembered the self-proclaimed Dallas darlings at Apogee 3 short years ago. 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

At the end of the day our defense looked like the same as the past few years, giving up multiple big plays. SMU scored td's on 58, 62, and 85 yards. I think Bennett is a good defense coach with nothing to work with.

Whether they gave up after the game got out of reach or just ran out of gas like the announcers believed, it was still a collapse that should not have happened. 

Again, hard as it is for many of us to admit, SMU just had the superior team.  

This early schedule is brutal, but hopefully will make the team substantially better the last half of the year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1. The team lost their intensity in the second half.

2. SMU made halftime adjustments and our coaches were not able to adjust.

3. UNT suffered too many injuries to major contributors (Torrey & Bush... hopefully none are too serious).

4. UNT can contend for the C-USA West Title this season.

5. Dykes owns Littrell.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

1. The team lost their intensity in the second half.

2. SMU made halftime adjustments and our coaches were not able to adjust.

We looked like a completely different team after that first SMU big play, IMO, the one towards end of 1H that put them up 7-6.  Until then, I thought we were the ones on the cusp of several big plays, and our defense looked incredible.  I had this lingering thought that blowing SMU up by 21+ points was a real possibility.

It ended up being a complete reversal of that. Silly me.  Stop thinking GreenMiner.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

We looked like a completely different team after that first SMU big play, IMO, the one towards end of 1H that put them up 7-6.  Until then, I thought we were the ones on the cusp of several big plays, and our defense looked incredible.  I had this lingering thought that blowing SMU up by 21+ points was a real possibility.

It ended up being a complete reversal of that. Silly me.  Stop thinking GreenMiner.

First of all concerning SMU:  Who really thought we had a chance with their All Star team of transfers from P5 schools starting with their OU transfer QB?   This SMU team may have been their best collection of talent many of us have seen since the group of players they paid (or bribed) to come to SMU which gave them their Death Penalty.  (A closer score would have been nice).

Response to GM:  Maybe  some of us thought we were LaTech alums for one brief shining moment?😆   Look at their list of impressive wins in the past?  That school does so much with so little. You have to admire that. Time for UNT to start doing much because we have much (& with Wren Baker as AD we will have more). I think that process has already begun.  
We do have some catching up to do & that spans many UNT Head football coaches from the past.  Like Deep Green posted the other day of which I totally agree with him (& I loosely paraphrase)  “It can be difficult being a Mean Green fan.”   Truer words...

For those on GMG who’ve completely lost it because of frustration  (& haven’t we all at some point)—but they might want to consider taking a sabbatical from all this (which most of us have also done at some point), but don’t stop supporting the team at Apogee; that is, the team that many of us stay on this forum an average of 1-3 or more hours a day talking about? 

Still confusing to ya’? 

EBCA0A9A-A662-46EA-9CB6-74FAEC485D76.png.44187063cdc71f6e7f5ca7b6260e7357.png 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Regarding Tommy Bush, to see him in a boot on the sideline is a win.  From the looks of the play and replay, I thought he had a terrible knee injury.  After watching the story on McKenzie Milton on Game Day in the morning, I was having flashbacks.

• Upvote 1