What are the priorities for the Big12 in expansion?

Jonnyeagle

I am in sales and we try to figure out what the customer wants.  I pulled this off of an article and it pertained to what the Big 12 was looking for in expansion.

The most important factors the Big 12 is considering for its expansion candidates are “TV audience, football relevancy and certainly market size is a factor,” a source said. “Men’s basketball brand also is extremely important. The Big 12 is one of the best — if not the best basketball league in the country.”

also I read this: 

After BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, the next four schools that previously received the most consideration from the Big 12 were Boise State, Memphis, SMU and USF, sources said.

Although several other schools contacted the Big 12 about potential membership, no other universities other than those eight were seriously considered, a source said.

What I am thinking is if they are considering market size and basketball we have a chance to move up? 

Article I referenced is here:  https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-12-conference-expansion-byu-cincinnati-houston-ucf-could-receive-league-invite-this-month?utm_source=article&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=brettmcmurphy

5 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I am in sales and we try to figure out what the customer wants.  I pulled this off of an article and it pertained to what the Big 12 was looking for in expansion.

also I read this: 

What I am thinking is if they are considering market size and basketball we have a chance to move up? 

Article I referenced is here:  https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-12-conference-expansion-byu-cincinnati-houston-ucf-could-receive-league-invite-this-month?utm_source=article&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=brettmcmurphy

I wish we did…it would be amazing to see us play Kansas at the Super Pit or play Tech/TCU/Baylor at Apogee.

But we have no chance. None. And seeing SMU left behind means that we have no chance at the AAC, either. And the MWC hasn’t shown any interest in us or any Texas school since TCU left. And our fanbase makes it completely clear that they want nothing to do with playing in a conference out west again, so we have CUSA, probably without UAB, Rice, and UTSA.

• Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I wish we did…it would be amazing to see us play Kansas at the Super Pit or play Tech/TCU/Baylor at Apogee.

But we have no chance. None. And seeing SMU left behind means that we have no chance at the AAC, either. And the MWC hasn’t shown any interest in us or any Texas school since TCU left. And our fanbase makes it completely clear that they want nothing to do with playing in a conference out west again, so we have CUSA, probably without UAB, Rice, and UTSA.

I agree with UAB, who has a chance to move to the AAC. UTSA is not good enough and Rice is worse than we are plus they have enough small private schools. La. Tech does the most with the least but they are in a really small market as in Southern Mississippi. Marshall is a "you all come" school with poor academics , ODU has by far the biggest budget which has not translated into wins. I would try to get Boise for football only but except for them and UAB I don't see anyone to get excited about . App State has a good program but again a very small market . It looks like no matter how you cut it the AAC is losing its heart to Big 12.