DRC: Littrell -- Aune, Ruder, Martin will get shot in QB race

Brett Vito

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: Littrell -- Aune, Ruder, Martin will get shot in QB race
27 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So does this pretty much put the red shirt on Drummond? 

Yeah that seems pretty assured. Aune technically has 3 years of eligibility left, 3 for Martin, 4 for Ruder, and 4 for Gilmore. Unless Drummond is your starter, it makes sense to redshirt him and give him some separation from the other guys, eligibility wise. 

Also, whoever wins the starting job, it’s not hard to envision the other guys deciding to look for opportunities elsewhere where they can play. Especially since a lot of our QBs are already graduated and engaged/married. Would not be shocking to see Drummond and the starting QB as the lone returners in the QB room come next season. Take this year to study and learn the offense.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Hard to imagine anyone other than Aune starting the 1st game. Feels like we probably see Aune and Ruder games 1 and 2 until one of the two separates themselves. Feel good either way honestly.

I want to know in what year we started out not knowing who the quarterback would be and we finished above .500? 

I’d have a helluva lot more confidence in our offensive minded coach if he could evaluate and select a starting quarterback over a month of practices. Besides when Fine made it obvious, he hasn’t been able to do that. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, meanrob said:

I want to know in what year we started out not knowing who the quarterback would be and we finished above .500? 

I’d have a helluva lot more confidence in our offensive minded coach if he could evaluate and select a starting quarterback over a month of practices. Besides when Fine made it obvious, he hasn’t been able to do that. 

I hear ya. But keep in mind last year we averaged 7 points more than the 2nd-highest scoring offense in CUSA and 96 more offensive yards/game than the 2nd highest yards/game team in CUSA. Our offense produced plenty.

We were equally distanced from the 2nd worse defenses in CUSA in those categories last year. Right now I think that’s where the primary concern is.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

One of those 3 guys has to be *the* guy after Northwestern State. I honestly have more than enough faith in Seth to choose the best candidate at that position but you follow NWSU with @ SMU, UAB, @ La Tech, and @ Mizzou all in succession. Not to be dramatic but that four game stretch could very well decide Seth's fate here. You cannot - cannot - start the year 1-4. 

It ultimately rides on the defense getting better, duh, but I have no doubt the staff knows they can't juggle three guys. It's Aune's job to lose and he only loses it if Ruder or Martin are all-conference level ready for the job. So I have confidence there.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Hard to imagine anyone other than Aune starting the 1st game. Feels like we probably see Aune and Ruder games 1 and 2 until one of the two separates themselves. Feel good either way honestly.

If Ruder and Aune are close enough for the first game to where Aune has not clearly shown to be the pick, I would hope they go with Ruder. They know what AA can do. If Ruder can close the gap this soon then see what he can do.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, WanderingEagle said:

One of those 3 guys has to be *the* guy after Northwestern State. I honestly have more than enough faith in Seth to choose the best candidate at that position but you follow NWSU with @ SMU, UAB, @ La Tech, and @ Mizzou all in succession. Not to be dramatic but that four game stretch could very well decide Seth's fate here. You cannot - cannot - start the year 1-4. 

It ultimately rides on the defense getting better, duh, but I have no doubt the staff knows they can't juggle three guys. It's Aune's job to lose and he only loses it if Ruder or Martin are all-conference level ready for the job. So I have confidence there.

SMU* NWST will tell us nothing

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I hear ya. But keep in mind last year we averaged 7 points more than the 2nd-highest scoring offense in CUSA and 96 more offensive yards/game than the 2nd highest yards/game team in CUSA.

Key point: CUSA. Basically we were a trash can fire next to a dumpster fire. Relative optics are not our friend here.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is a pretty standard Chess move by Littrell.    You're thinking checkers.

In fairness, Mumbles hasn't had the greatest record with his brand of chess.

It's rare, but occasionally QB by committee can work if you have some exceptional talent. Ohio State had it a few years back, Baylor pulled it off once too, but those are teams with exceptional talent. We have ok talent, so the luxury of swapping them out just isn't one of our strengths

Now, I'm not saying Aune should be or will be the starter, but by end of camp you pick the best and put all your chips on him (slammed a poker reference alongside checkers/chess). 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

How about starting 1-5?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/north-texas/2002-schedule.html

Still won the conference AND beat Cincinnati in the bowl game. 

Good lord, look at that non-conference schedule. '02 was my freshman year at UNT and I thought every year would be like this. Haha, boy was I wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Udomann said:

In fairness, Mumbles hasn't had the greatest record with his brand of chess.

It's rare, but occasionally QB by committee can work if you have some exceptional talent. Ohio State had it a few years back, Baylor pulled it off once too, but those are teams with exceptional talent. We have ok talent, so the luxury of swapping them out just isn't one of our strengths

Now, I'm not saying Aune should be or will be the starter, but by end of camp you pick the best and put all your chips on him (slammed a poker reference alongside checkers/chess). 

His chess game has certainly slipped the past few seasons, that's for sure!

Also, I think you're forgetting about a pretty memorable swap in game 2 of 2016 when the all-in starter ('Bama transfer Alec Morris) was subbed out for a scrawny, undersized, slinger from Oklahoma.

Not saying we have another Mason Fine on the roster now, but that swap worked out OK.
The QB-by-committee we saw last year was not good. I agree.   That can't happen again this year.

But it would be hard-headed for Littrell to name a starter during Fall Practice, and stick with it through the year no matter what.   Heck, Ruder has only been here for a few weeks.  He probably doesn't even know where Wooten Hall is yet.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

His chess game has certainly slipped the past few seasons, that's for sure!

Also, I think you're forgetting about a pretty memorable swap in game 2 of 2016 when the all-in starter ('Bama transfer Alec Morris) was subbed out for a scrawny, undersized, slinger from Oklahoma.

Not saying we have another Mason Fine on the roster now, but that swap worked out OK.
The QB-by-committee we saw last year was not good. I agree.   That can't happen again this year.

But it would be hard-headed for Littrell to name a starter during Fall Practice, and stick with it through the year no matter what.   Heck, Ruder has only been here for a few weeks.  He probably doesn't even know where Wooten Hall is yet.

I was worried you'd find the Morris/Fine flaw in my argument... I thought of it right after I hit submit.

And yeah, I agree. If the wheels fall off you definitely need to be ready to swap. That's what the backups are for after all. I just think mistakes need to be allowed so we can grow our guys. They all have a few years left, and this year is most likely a write-off. Let them ball and learn.

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 2

• 11 months later...
On 8/11/2021 at 12:24 PM, Udomann said:

I was worried you'd find the Morris/Fine flaw in my argument... I thought of it right after I hit submit.

And yeah, I agree. If the wheels fall off you definitely need to be ready to swap. That's what the backups are for after all. I just think mistakes need to be allowed so we can grow our guys. They all have a few years left, and this year is most likely a write-off. Let them ball and learn.

Still relevant.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:46 PM, UNT 90 Grad said:

How about starting 1-5?

Premonition much?

• Oh Boy! 1