UNT signs big man to fill big hole in middle

MeanGreen61

Basketball: UNT signs big man to fill big hole in middle

Mean Green looks to 6-6, 280-pound White at post

08:46 AM CDT on Thursday, April 15, 2004

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas men’s basketball coach Johnny Jones added a little size to the Mean Green’s 2004 recruiting class Wednesday by signing Chris White.

The 6-6, 280-pound forward from Moberly (Mo.) Area Community College became the fourth player to commit to play for UNT next season.

Isaac Hines of Collin County Community College committed to play for UNT earlier this month and made his decision official when he signed his national letter of intent on the first day of the spring signing period.

The Juco duo joins high school standouts Michael Sturns, a 6-4 guard from North Crowley, and Quincy Williams, a 6-7 forward from Carl Albert in Midwest City, Okla., who signed with UNT last year during the early signing period.

"We are very excited about the class and the ability of the guys who are coming in," Jones said. "It’s the best class I have signed since I have been here. We addressed all five positions on the floor."

White could fill an immediate need under the basket for the Mean Green next season. UNT lost three of its top post players after the 2003 season, including 6-9 forward Shawnson Johnson, a third-team All-Sun Belt Conference selection. Team MVP Michael DeGrate, a 6-8 forward, and Will Smith, a 6-7 forward, also completed their careers last season.

White averaged 11.5 points and 5.3 rebounds a game for Moberly, which finished the regular season ranked No. 13 among Division I junior colleges.

"Chris really knows how to play," Moberly coach Pat Smith said. "He could do a backflip at 320 pounds. He has amazing athletic ability for his size."

That ability showed during White’s high school career when he was named USA Today’s Alabama High School Player of the Year and the state’s Mr. Basketball his senior season. Smith said White was a Big 12-caliber recruit when he graduated from high school. White played on a Moberly team that took advantage of his passing skills in an offense that featured balanced scoring among several Division I-caliber players.

"He reminds you of Charles Barkley," Jones said. "He has a knack for scoring and also has size and strength. He is a guy who is very skilled in the post area, has great feet and can shoot the ball."

The challenge White faces is staying in shape in order to take advantage of his skills. Smith said White could improve if he works his way down to 255 pounds.

Hines is expected to make an immediate impact at point guard. He averaged 11.7 points, eight rebounds, 5.1 assists and 3.4 steals as a sophomore at Collin County.

Hines was a second-team JUCO All-America selection.

Sturns averaged 18.3 points a game as a senior and was named first-team all-region. Williams averaged 17.6 points and 9.5 rebounds as a senior at Carl Albert and was named first-team all-state by The Daily Oklahoman.

UNT finished with a 13-15 record last season after falling to New Orleans in double overtime in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference Tournament. The Mean Green will return two starters from last season’s team in sophomore guard Calvin Watson and senior guard Leonard Hopkins, who led the team with an average of 14 points a game.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870.

Guest e-bone

"Chris really knows how to play," Moberly coach Pat Smith said. "He could do a backflip at 320 pounds. He has amazing athletic ability for his size."

I would like to see that.

That ability showed during White’s high school career when he was named USA Today’s Alabama High School Player of the Year and the state’s Mr. Basketball his senior season. Smith said White was a Big 12-caliber recruit when he graduated from high school.

These are impressive credentials. Then again, has he not improved since then or has his weight gotten out of control? I wonder, but I will choose to hold judgement until I see him running the floor of the Super Pit.

I'll hold judgement until I see him play. However, at 6'6" I'm not crazy about calling him a big man other than weight! If Barnett is at the center (I guess he starts) then we basically run the rest of the team out there at 6'7" and below. Is there enough height on this team to compete with ASU, WKU and ULL?

Guest e-bone

I'll hold judgement until I see him play.  However, at 6'6" I'm not crazy about calling him a big man other than weight!  If Barnett is at the center (I guess he starts) then we basically run the rest of the team out there at 6'7" and below.  Is there enough height on this team to compete with ASU, WKU and ULL?

Starting Barnett is conceded defeat, and I'm hoping Williams will be able to start right away. I have no problems with a smaller team that can run.

E-bone...Honestly how can you knock a guy with a herniated disk playing on crappy ankles...he is prolly having the surgery to fix all of these this summer from what he has told me.... But the way he played this year was a step up from last year....I have been watching this kid play for more than just his UNT days and he is getting better....lemme mess your back up and see if you play anything as good as you used too...nothing personal there but come on....

Guest e-bone

E-bone...Honestly how can you knock a guy with a herniated disk playing on crappy ankles...he is prolly having the surgery to fix all of these this summer from what he has told me.... But the way he played this year was a step up from last year....I have been watching this kid play for more than just his UNT days and he is getting better....lemme mess your back up and see if you play anything as good as you used too...nothing personal there but come on....

"lemme mess your back up and see if you play anything as good as you used too...nothing personal..."

Yes, obviously "nothing personal".

I can knock a guy because he wasn't good. I don't care if he is hurt, if I have never seen him play well what else am I supposed to think? He had a couple of good 2 or 3 minute stretches last year, and that is it. I'm not thrilled about him getting significant playing time, and it has nothing to do with him being hurt or not, it has to do with never seing him play well for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Now if he comes back completely healthy, plays well and earns playing time, then that is absolutely great. But anyone would be foolish to feel good about him being a starter next season if the last two years have been any indication of how good he is.

Edited by e-bone

ok so if you really wanna take that personally grow up....

All i was saying was if you had a messsed up back or foot you wouldnt be playing to your maximum ability...man touchy touchy....you guys are funny sometimes i ain't gonna lie....

JB i know you read this and dont listen to their crap....you are looking better and better! So keep it up kid! Nice hair Chotch!

The above statement by the user with the name KPFC Sports Dept. does not reflect the views of anyone associated with KPFC-FM.

I'd appreciate the person using that account (IronMan4) to use his regular account when posting Hot Sports Opinions.

Thank you.

Guest e-bone

ok so if you really wanna take that personally grow up....

All i was saying was if you had a messsed up back or foot you wouldnt be playing to your maximum ability...man touchy touchy....you guys are funny sometimes i ain't gonna lie....

JB i know you read this and dont listen to their crap....you are looking better and better!  So keep it up kid!  Nice hair Chotch!

hahaha, you make me laugh. I'm touchy? I'm taking this personally? I would say the touchy people that take it personally are the buddies of Barnett who try to defend him for the sole reason that he is their friend. Loyalty to your friends is good, but you need to stop making excuses for someone who is taking up a scholarship for the basketball team and has yet to produce.

What is really funny are the people who come on here and say that Barnett is a "force in paint" and fall all over themselves when he plays semi decent for a 3 minute stretch. You don't have any idea how many times you guys have made me laugh, so keep up the good work.

BARNETT BUDDIES 4 LIFE!!!

The above statement by the user with the name KPFC Sports Dept. does not reflect the views of anyone associated with KPFC-FM. 

I'd appreciate the person using that account (IronMan4) to use his regular account when posting Hot Sports Opinions.

Thank you.

This and then your signature are pretty funny biggrin.gif

I'm not trying to censor him. He can say whatever the hell he wants. That's his opinion...free speech...his First Amendment Right.

But I want those opinions to be attributed to Aaron "IronMan4" Switzer and not to "KPFC Sports Dept". That account was created soley for promoting KPFC-FM programming...not for regular posting.

Edited by JayDub

I created this account, Justin "JayDub" Winters, I think I am within my rights to post that Justin "JB" Barnett regressed in his basketball performance over the last two years, and while that may or may not be due to an injury, that does not make him untouchable from criticism. He is a scholarship athlete and when he performs poorly, he will get the same comments anyone else would on here. I am well aware of the fact that you are all good friends right now and that is super, but we are talking basketball here and if you all want to let outside factors affect the way you perceive what goes on between the baselines, that is your own decision, but I don't do that.

Edited by KPFC Sports Dept.

Dude...I'm not defending anyone here. You are well within your rights to say whatever you want about Justin Barnett...or Calvin Watson...or Scott Hall...or whoever. I'm just saying...if you want to post YOUR opinions, use your own damn account. They're YOUR opinions...and NOT the opinions of KPFC-FM.

I'm not defending or vilifying anyone for anything they said...because I try to stay neutral on subjects I know little about, these days.

Say whatever you want...say Barnett sleeps with goats. I don't care. Just do it under your own name.

ROTFLMAO!!

I actually kind of like it, because it was one of the logo's that was prominent when I was a freshamn. But the REAL reason I use it is back a year or so ago - nearly everyone was using one of about 5 avatars. I wanted to be distinguishable from the pack.

Obviously no one was using this one.