Frank Broyles: Passes Away at 92

UNTLifer

I wouldn't bother to relieve myself on Arkansas athletics...but I have always had the highest respect for Frank Broyles, the man. Well done, Mr. Broyles, may you rest in peace.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Being a lifelkng Razorback fan, Dad played there in the early 40's and entkre family is from there, I liked him as a coach and announcer, but I think he meddled with Arkansas forever and it was a detrimemt to their programs in his later years.  Overall though, he did build a great department in a small state.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I honestly had no idea that Arkansas was once relevant in football.  I mean no snark in that whatsoever.  Sometimes it takes the passing of a great to educate me. 

Yeah, they even won a national championship back in the mid-sixties.  I believe Jerry Jones of the Cowboys played on that team as well as Jimmy Johnson. 

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I honestly had no idea that Arkansas was once relevant in football.  I mean no snark in that whatsoever.  Sometimes it takes the passing of a great to educate me. 

I'll start by saying this--having grown up here in the SWC's heyday, if you lived in Texas and rooted for anyone in the SWC that was based in our great state, Arkansas was just as much of an enemy as Oklahoma. They got lots of Texas HS kids to go there, their fans would drive their Winnebago's to the town of the game and, in many cases, take over the stadium of the private schools they were playing. Plus, they wore plastic Hog Hats on their heads...very annoying.

But, man, they had some great teams--after Broyles retired, they had Lou Holtz coach there and they were regulars in the Top Ten. The he left and Ken Hatfield came in and kept them ranked, while winning a few SWC Championships before heading out to the $EC. After that, they won a couple of SEC West Division titles, but that was when the west was really down and the East had Florida and Tennessee as the best teams in the league, so they usually got throttled. They basically lost their connections to a lot of Texas HS recruits because they weren't playing here very much anymore. And they got really good again under Bobby Petrino, but his motorcycle wreck with his girlfriend that he had working in the AD pretty much ruined them. Instead, Alabama has continued to rule that division, while have to deal with Auburn, LSU, A&M, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State every year. That run of divisional opponents is tough on anyone and Arky has shown that they cannot really get over the hump against that group, which is really no different than what A&M is finding out right now, too...

• Upvote 1

I just moved in our youngest into her dorm at Arkansas last weekend. They are doing a large renovation to one of the end zones, massive. The area by campus is Dickson street. Cool place with laid back restaurants and bars. Will be a great place for all of us die hards to meet next season for the game. First round on me at the Hog Haus. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

50 minutes ago, dd992emo said:

The 1969 SWC game between UT and Arkansas was pretty much the Game of the Century until OU-Nebraska happened in '71. UT QB James Street played out of his head, including a pretty long scramble for a TD, something  like 48 yards. President Nixon was there. It was a great game, except UT won...

Was the President of the United States at that OU-Nebraska game? Did the TV network offer to move the game to a different weekend to accommodate the expected audience? There were a lot of things that simply didn't usually happen in addition to it being a matchup between #1 and #2. The additions give the 69 game bonus importance in the "game of the century" race.  

23 minutes ago, kingwoodgreen said:

I just moved in our youngest into her dorm at Arkansas last weekend. They are doing a large renovation to one of the end zones, massive. The area by campus is Dickson street. Cool place with laid back restaurants and bars. Will be a great place for all of us die hards to meet next season for the game. First round on me at the Hog Haus. 

Fayettville is an awesome city.  She and you guys are going to enjoy your time there.  Neat campus.