DRC: R.J. Reynolds talks about joining UNT's 17 recruiting class

Brett Vito

Anyone else concerned that Air Force's cadet training was too strenuous for Mr. Reynolds?
Does that speak to his work ethic?   Will he fold if he can't win a starting spot over Hambone/JoJo/Novil/Krasniqi/whoever next year (assuming he's going to RS this year because he missed all Spring, & I KNOW he's not beating Young/Flusche)?   Or am I worrying too much?

• Downvote 4

59 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Anyone else concerned that Air Force's cadet training was too strenuous for Mr. Reynolds?
Does that speak to his work ethic?   Will he fold if he can't win a starting spot over Hambone/JoJo/Novil/Krasniqi/whoever next year (assuming he's going to RS this year because he missed all Spring, & I KNOW he's not beating Young/Flusche)?   Or am I worrying too much?

I think Kenny Buyers did the same thing & he turned out to be a pretty good player. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It probably had more to do with isolation from his family and friends than the physical demands.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If things have not changed, most academy recruits go to some type of prep school and over half leave before their first year at the academy.  The service academies sign a lot more players than other schools because technically they are not athletic scholarships.  

As far as your concern, I doubt anyone that can survive college football is going to have a problem with the physical part of a service academies' requirements. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Some people who have thought themselves interested in a military career and experiencing the reality of military training, will find it is not for them before incurring an actual service obligation.  I have no problem with it, as I dropped ROTC as a college freshman after realizing it wasn't mandatory.  I did get drafted and served out my required active duty, back then when there was a draft, but wouldn't have joined if there was no draft.  So few serve in the military nowadays, it's hard for me to feel judgmental about those who don't.  He may have just decided he wasn't military minded, and made the right decision for him.

Oh, and a big North Texas welcome to you, R.J.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think it to much to be concerned about when it comes to football. He has played football for years and should be more than able to handle the mental stress of football. 

I'm not to worried about his work ethic because he will be around guys that will challenge him, English, Hambone, Flusche, TJ, and Young.. He will have guys the other guys from the 2017 class as well to work with...

The hardest thing about going into the military is just the change and adjusting to the military mindset. No idea what it is like in ROTC, but going through the Army BCT it was 99% mental and the hardest thing adjust too... Its easy doing push ups, running, carrying gear, but just conforming and adjusting is the biggest thing and likely the hardest thing. You have to wonder how serious the commitment was in the first place, its not like the whole going off to this program before the season is new.

On 7/23/2017 at 2:12 PM, SilverEagle said:

R.J. Reynolds?  Well, it'll be real interesting to see how creative some people get with nicknames for this young man.

"Big Tobacco".