247 Final 2017 C-USA Recruiting Rankings

Harry

Actually, not counting blue shirts is the correct thing to do.   There is the practical matter of how do they know who is actually going to show up and sign that letter of intent.  Also it is not fair to other teams who they are ranked against to have to compete with a school that has actually tacked on a sizable part of their next class. 

I doubt the ratings of all the services and even within those services are consistent on how they treat blue shirts.  However, all these blue shirts are 2 stars and as such are mostly just a quantity factor in the rankings.  What you are seeing is the effect of a low number of ships caused by blue shirting the year before.  The fact is this will always tank the rankings as those blue shirt players will never be picked up.   If they were, NT would have all those that were blue shirted last year included in this year's rankings.    

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jtm0097 said:

We addressed needs on both sides of the ball. I will give judgement later after the class has played here. Then we can argue if stars matter or not.

Never heard this before.

Problem is, we make so many excuses and nothing ever changes. I heard Vito mention maybe we need to acknowledge our perception as a losing program will always hinder us in recruiting. I'd love to buy that, yet here I sit looking at FAU and FIU at #2 & #3 in the rankings.

The only excuse I'll give credence to is that our recruiting budget is one of the lowest in the conference. Only thing is that is completely within our control to change. Changes need to be made and quickly or we will keep going into the dark pit we've created for ourselves as a program. 

SL won't make any excuses if we continue to lose and neither should we. 

• Upvote 6

53 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Never heard this before.

Problem is, we make so many excuses and nothing ever changes. I heard Vito mention maybe we need to acknowledge our perception as a losing program will always hinder us in recruiting. I'd love to buy that, yet here I sit looking at FAU and FIU at #2 & #3 in the rankings.

The only excuse I'll give credence to is that our recruiting budget is one of the lowest in the conference. Only thing is that is completely within our control to change. Changes need to be made and quickly or we will keep going into the dark pit we've created for ourselves as a program. 

SL won't make any excuses if we continue to lose and neither should we. 

I think sometimes we overlook the fact that these students are like 17/18 years old. Going to school on a beach will beat going to school in a friendly little town 9 out of 10 times.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Why didn't that work out for them in the past? 

Comparatively, it has. Since 2011 FAU has outrecruited UNT (rankings wise) every year and FIU has had a higher ranking in each year except for 2. FAU has an average ranking of about 4, FIU about 6.5 and UNT about 9. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ABrownGMG said:

Comparatively, it has. Since 2011 FAU has outrecruited UNT (rankings wise) every year and FIU has had a higher ranking in each year except for 2. FAU has an average ranking of about 4, FIU about 6.5 and UNT about 9. 

Ok so what about Middle Tennessee and Marshall outperforming us as well, if it's geographic? The thing is and I guess my original point is that you can make any number of excuses for doing well or poorly in recruiting that has to do with the institution or program. Generally, good recruiting coaches can recruit anywhere. See: Frank Wilson. It's about the coach and more broadly and importantly, the entire coaching staff. No reason in their 2nd year and after a bowl game we should have slipped 3 spots from where we were last season. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

Let's be honest, at the CUSA level, unless you are snagging a 4 or 5 star, the numbers are pretty small that separate the class rankings.  Coaching your talent has a lot to do with your team's success, which is why jtm0096 stated and I agree with, we can fully grade them once they have played a couple of  years.

1 hour ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

The only excuse I'll give credence to is that our recruiting budget is one of the lowest in the conference.

I believe our low recruiting budget is the result of having so many areas to recruit in our own backyard.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Let's be honest, at the CUSA level, unless you are snagging a 4 or 5 star, the numbers are pretty small that separate the class rankings.  Coaching your talent has a lot to do with your team's success, which is why jtm0096 stated and I agree with, we can fully grade them once they have played a couple of  years.

I believe our low recruiting budget is the result of having so many areas to recruit in our own backyard.

Someone has said this before. This might be true, but then why are we still losing those recruiting battle in our own backyard? Seems like if you continuously lose battles in your own backyard you'd increase the budget to expand your recruiting zone. 

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Let's be honest, at the CUSA level, unless you are snagging a 4 or 5 star, the numbers are pretty small that separate the class rankings.  

When we are signing 5 3* recruits, and we have schools singing 13, 13, 15, 16 and 17 of them... the talent separation is not small.  

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

When we are signing 5 3* recruits, and we have schools singing 13, 13, 15, 16 and 17 of them... the talent separation is not small.  

This has been said about past recruiting classes to and yet the talent separation is huge. Even with our improving this last season, we were still being blown out by teams who consistently recruit better than us. 

• Upvote 2

This staff has started from the FBS bottom (and ranked behind dozens of FCS during the 2016 preseason).

My observations (within the context of North Texas football)

The not good:

• Not a good showing
  • Can't depend on diamonds in the rough/underrated prospects as a major part of your recruiting strategy
  • Need moar talent

The good:

• Filling a roster that was previously lacking talent and losing players (FCS size).
  • While not talent-filled, still upgrading several positions (it's all relative?)
  • Attacking areas of concern (OL, WR, QB), including just plain depth
  • Adding playmakers on offense (WR)

Final thought:

Can do better, but we are filling areas of need (eg, better talent in general). While we didn't recruit better, we are upgrading several positions.

B- (Digging these offensive pieces)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We go thru this exercise every year, yet we always are mad that the coach here cannot change our reputation amongst the Texas HS coaches and parents overnight. We have sucked something fierce for the better part of 22 years as a FBS team again. We have 4 winning seasons in that timeframe. Our biggest wins in the last decade of play are beating Indiana, UNLV in the HoD Bowl and beating Army this past year. IOW, that doesn't move the needle around here at all. Since 2007, in the last 10 years, the FBS teams we have beaten are as follows: ULM twice, WKU 4x, Ball State twice, FAU 4x, MUTS twice, Indiana, Troy, ULL, South Alabama, Idaho, La Tech, USM twice, Rice twice, UTEP, Tulsa, UNLV, SMU, FIU, UTSA, Marshall, and Army. Against the teams we recruit against in CUSA West, we are 7-15 in the last decade, including Rice who we are 2-4 against, as well as UTEP, who we are 1-3 against in that timeframe, and they both finished below us in the recruiting rankings.

Those results aren't making many kids with other FBS offers to choose us over them. And the schedule we play here doesn't give any of them any reason to give us some extra thought when compared to other regional G5s.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

We go thru this exercise every year, yet we always are mad that the coach here cannot change our reputation amongst the Texas HS coaches and parents overnight. We have sucked something fierce for the better part of 22 years as a FBS team again. We have 4 winning seasons in that timeframe. Our biggest wins in the last decade of play are beating Indiana, UNLV in the HoD Bowl and beating Army this past year. IOW, that doesn't move the needle around here at all. Since 2007, in the last 10 years, the FBS teams we have beaten are as follows: ULM twice, WKU 4x, Ball State twice, FAU 4x, MUTS twice, Indiana, Troy, ULL, South Alabama, Idaho, La Tech, USM twice, Rice twice, UTEP, Tulsa, UNLV, SMU, FIU, UTSA, Marshall, and Army. Against the teams we recruit against in CUSA West, we are 7-15 in the last decade, including Rice who we are 2-4 against, as well as UTEP, who we are 1-3 against in that timeframe, and they both finished below us in the recruiting rankings.

Those results aren't making many kids with other FBS offers to choose us over them. And the schedule we play here doesn't give any of them any reason to give us some extra thought when compared to other regional G5s.

Stop with the BS excuses Jim.  Excuses are what losers come up with to feel better about themselves. 

You wanna sell us on the proud winning traditions and awesome scheduling of #96 ULM?  Or what about #95 Georgia State? Oh no it must be Georgia Southern at #94 that you wanted to use as an example. No? Then the guys down at Troy (#90) would love for you to tell us how they are better off than we are.

We are currently at #116 with the likes of Buffalo, Mass & Charlotte in front of us.