Sports "Creative Director"

DeepGreen

Does UNT have a "Creative Director" on staff for our Athletic Department?  UT just hired one.

From down Austin way.

Herman has made another hire.

On Tuesday, Matt Lange announced that he is set to become a creative director for Texas’ football program. Lange currently serves as an assistant director of graphics for Alabama’s Crimson Tide Productions. Lange’s LinkedIn page states that he has been at Alabama since 2013, and he is responsible for “execution of various athletic design materials, mainly focusing on football. Also responsible for creative video content shooting and editing.”

AccordingtoAL.com,Lange created some of the graphics that Alabama has used for recruiting purposes.

Earlier this month, Herman talked to reporters about the need to bolster the football team’s support staff. In addition to someone to work with graphics, Herman specifically mentioned the job that Lange will apparently fill. In recent years, the ability to attract online attention has become increasingly more important to the nation’s best teams.

“We identified an area that we were deficient in as compared to the teams that are in the national championship hunt every year, the Alabamas,theClemsons,theOhio States, the Florida States of the world,” Herman said. “We needed to create positions in our recruiting and support staff departments, and we’ve done that and we’ve hit the ground running.”

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The marketing of your program is something we have always been behind the times in.  I too hope he considers a dedicated position along with the Spirit Czar to research what other programs are doing in regard to gameday experience - students, fans, tailgaters, campers.

GMG

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NM Green said:

The marketing of your program is something we have always been behind the times in.  I too hope he considers a dedicated position along with the Spirit Czar to research what other programs are doing in regard to gameday experience - students, fans, tailgaters, campers.

GMG

Excellent idea! If someone was hired to this position and they started researching North Texas spirit traditions, they would find that we have none other than generic stuff.  We have a band that shows up and plays their music list but doesn't take responsibility for promoting spirit. We have cheerleaders that, (with the exception of the NORTH TEXAS group yell....which is still a works in progress), pretty much do generic stuff. And a spirit group (Talons) that, were it not for the cannon, you would not know they are in the house. 

Hopefully, one day.......

Notice how the percussion section of the TCU band coordinated with the cheerleaders to get the crowd going....

Seems like I've heard something about our nationally ranked percussion section. That ranking is pretty meaningless if they are not GETTING IT DONE SPIRIT WISE ON GAME DAY.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Great idea!??

Image result for University of North Texas Campus 1960

JIm, here is a 1960's aerial shot of the old Eagle Field before the Willis Library was built on it.  I remember the field was used for intramural sports and the annual "Greek Olympics". I remember one spring, our HS band was attending the regional band contest (hosted by the school of music) and me and some of my buddies stood out on the back porch of the "Lab School" (the right side of the field in the photo) and watched the "Greek Olympics"......complete with chariot races. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

JIm, here is a 1960's aerial shot of the old Eagle Field before the Willis Library was built on it.  I remember the field was used for intramural sports and the annual "Greek Olympics". I remember one spring, our HS band was attending the regional band contest (hosted by the school of music) and me and some of my buddies stood out on the back porch of the "Lab School" (the right side of the field in the photo) and watched the "Greek Olympics"......complete with chariot races. 

Best pic I've seen yet of Eagle Field, Bill!  Thanks for the upgrade!  Love our North Texas history!  We all have much to be Mean Green & Proud (about).

GMG!

Every good organization relating to media, social media, marketing, pre-viz will have a Creative Director. Some firms have different Creative Directors for different projects or accounts. It's a term similar to "engineer". It applies to multiple industries and UNT would certainly benefit to have one in some capacity to help drive visuals and campaigns etc. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

With our great Art program, we could easily get an intern to assist with this.

Why true, they really need some experience under their belt. Maybe a Graduate student at a minimum. It's more than just designing graphics. It's constantly staying on design trend and technologies etc. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

With our great Art program, we could easily get an intern to assist with this.

No, that's not how it's done.

11 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

To Wren: yes, that is how it's done.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

What was the capacity of that place?  Doesn't look like more than a couple thousand. 

19 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Wait, stop the music.  Stop the f-ing music.  You had CHARIOT RACES!?!? 

I say that we bring that back. Talk about PAGEANTRY!!! Have Scrappy ride one chariot, Wren in another, and ride those things as fast as possible at halftime around Apogee to see who wins.  For fun we could add those spikes that extend from the wheels that will destroy the other chariot like in the movies.  For safety we would give both scrappy and Wren helmets of course.  

I could see some potential issues with damaging the turf.  We could work through that? 

BRILLIANT!! 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Stan R said:

Wait, stop the music.  Stop the f-ing music.  You had CHARIOT RACES!?!? 

I say that we bring that back. Talk about PAGEANTRY!!! Have Scrappy ride one chariot, Wren in another, and ride those things as fast as possible at halftime around Apogee to see who wins.  For fun we could add those spikes that extend from the wheels that will destroy the other chariot like in the movies.  For safety we would give both scrappy and Wren helmets of course.  

I could see some potential issues with damaging the turf.  We could work through that? 

BRILLIANT!! 

Hmmm?  Green Brigade plays theme of "Ben Hurr" & "Chariots of Fire?"?

Lets combine our long time influence with the UNTCOM & get on that project, Silver!?

• Upvote 1

A creative director, and really an entire overhaul of whoever is responsible for anything digital or print is DESPERATELY needed. I could point to a hundred examples. In fact if the athletic department just put in requests with URCM they would immediately have better talent. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/25/2017 at 2:07 PM, SilverEagle said:

Not to derail this or anything but I never put 2 and 2 together and realized that the little curved driveway that leads to the service parking spots behind Willis follow the path of the track!

13 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Hmmm?  Green Brigade plays theme of "Ben Hurr" & "Chariots of Fire?"?

Lets combine our long time influence with the UNTCOM & get on that project, Silver!?

Long time influence? Yeah, right!  ;-)

The theme you had in mind was/is  "Parade of the Charioteers". Several HS bands from the 60's played it, but only if they were big enough to make a sufficient "big sound".  The Aggie band played it a lot.

• Upvote 1