MGB: Littrell to coach RBs

Brett Vito

9 minutes ago, PsychicUNT said:

Is this move normal, do other schools do this as well??  I'm a bit new on football coaching, but wouldn't it be better if Litrel hire a former UNT running back with experience to coach the RB's?? Maybe a former UNT running back

There are limits to the number of coaches that can be on staff, so he is trying to make things work as best possible. Just my guess on the second part.

Edited by forevereagle

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Current 1 Head Coach and 9 Assistant Coaches, but NCAA will probably allow 10 assistants very soon:

Nick Saban gets around this by have a staff greater than 60. He calls his "definitely not a coach" an analyst. They are a huge piece of his national recruiting scheme.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

Nick Saban gets around this by have a staff greater than 60. He calls his "definitely not a coach" an analyst. They are a huge piece of his national recruiting scheme.

They cay can't recruit or give "on field instruction", only the 10 (soon 11) coaches can do that.  

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

They cay can't recruit or give "on field instruction", only the 10 (soon 11) coaches can do that.  

Yes but the analyze gobs and gobs of film, plan recruiting trips, digest a ton of information for the coaches. That means coaches are actually free to coach and go sign the kid, the aren't worried about evaluating (As much) or doing all the boring backend work.

3 minutes ago, outoftown said:

He should be receiving a lower salary, he has less experience than Perry had when h arrived here.

Probably, and add the fact that Perry had more duties.  But it doesn't necessarily work that way.  Coaches typically get paid what someone is willing to pay them.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

1 hour ago, Caw Caw said:

Yes but the analyze gobs and gobs of film, plan recruiting trips, digest a ton of information for the coaches. That means coaches are actually free to coach and go sign the kid, the aren't worried about evaluating (As much) or doing all the boring backend work.

Agree to a point.  They also don't have to repair their own computers, or cut their own grass, or change out the over head lights.  All that is back end work that frees them up to coach and recruit also.  I get that having all those analysts helps them do that, but they aren't actually recruiting.

There was one are in which I think those roles got used unfairly, at camps.  Since the NCAA had classified those as "instructional", that meant for 30 days a year those analysts could have contact with recruits, and coach them, at those camps.  Now

Now however the NCAA is going to reclassify them as "recruiting" activities, so those extra coaches won't have that contact.   

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Agree to a point.  They also don't have to repair their own computers, or cut their own grass, or change out the over head lights.  All that is back end work that frees them up to coach and recruit also.  I get that having all those analysts helps them do that, but they aren't actually recruiting.

There was one are in which I think those roles got used unfairly, at camps.  Since the NCAA had classified those as "instructional", that meant for 30 days a year those analysts could have contact with recruits, and coach them, at those camps.  Now

Now however the NCAA is going to reclassify them as "recruiting" activities, so those extra coaches won't have that contact.   

I can buy that. But I'm in sales, and I know the more time I have freed to actually sell, the more effective I can be. The closing has to obviously be done by the recruiter (sales rep), but good support can make an average salesperson good, and make a good one great. But I do see your point, there is obviously purpose in Saban having such a large staff, and the results speak for themselves. I'm not sating that's all there is too it, i'm saying it matters. How much, however, we could debate for awhile.

3 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Did we fire Tommy Perry? Did I miss something i was reading write up in the NT daily and it seemed like there might be more going on. 

095c416291044c2690b408db3831d84b.jpg

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2017/01/source-tommy-perry-out-at-unt.html/
http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2017/01/updated-source-confirms-marty-biagi-is-unts-new-special-teams-coordinator.html/

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I got all that it was just a phrasing thing that made think there was more to it. I forgot Tommy was a holdover which I may have made him an outsider also. Seems clear it was not a mutual decision. 

On 1/18/2017 at 6:09 PM, jtm0097 said:

So who is going to recruit East Texas now?

http://etsn.fm/smu-coach-chad-morris-visits-east-texas-coaches-clinic-offers-thoughts-on-his-five-mustangs-from-east-texas/

Chad Morris was the keynote speaker at the East Tx coaching clinic this week. We need to maintain a presence out there as well.