MGB: Follow-up thoughts on the addition of Marty Biagi

Brett Vito

Everyone is concerned about his Texas ties in replacing Perry.  We have Harrell, Mainord, Reffett and Filani have Texas ties.  Brown, Davis and LeBlanc have ties to Louisiana and the South, Ekeler to the south, Littrell OK and Conley and our GA's have ties to Texas.  Did it occur to anyone that maybe Biagi will help expand our territory?  I have faith that our young staff can build these relationships immediately.  Assistant coaches move around a lot, so they have to have the gift of connecting with players, parents and coaching staffs.  Sounds like Biagi has that ability considering his success in recruiting new areas for Arkansas as a GA.  Let's give him a chance instead of criticizing everything before the man sets foot in Denton.

Edited by UNTLifer
Spelling, hate touch screen tablets
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Who is coaching the running backs the??? Brad Davis??

Surely not.  A couple of people have mentioned in other threads that there is a pending rule to allow 10 full-time coaches.  The only possibility seems to be that SL is certain that rule is going to pass, and is going to hire a RB coach.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Everyone is concerned about his Texas ties in replacing Perry.  We have Harrell, Mainord, Reffett and Filani have Texas ties.  Brown, Davis and LeBlanc have ties to Louisiana and the South, Ekeler to the south, Littrell OK and Conley amd our GA's have ties to Texas.  Did it occur to anyone that maybe Biagi will help expand our territory?  I have faith that ojr young staff can build these relationships immediately.  Assistant coaches move around a lot, so they have to have the gift of connecting with players, parents and coaching staffs.  Sounds like Biagi has that ability considering his success in recruiting new areas for Arkansas as a GA.  Let's give him a chance instead of criticizing everything before the man sets foot in Denton.

Expand what territory? We have been getting killed in Denton County. There is no territory to expand.

Hopefully this class improves dramatically  before Feb 3rd.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Everyone is concerned about his Texas ties in replacing Perry.  We have Harrell, Mainord, Reffett and Filani have Texas ties.  Brown, Davis and LeBlanc have ties to Louisiana and the South, Ekeler to the south, Littrell OK and Conley amd our GA's have ties to Texas.  Did it occur to anyone that maybe Biagi will help expand our territory?  I have faith that ojr young staff can build these relationships immediately.  Assistant coaches move around a lot, so they have to have the gift of connecting with players, parents and coaching staffs.  Sounds like Biagi has that ability considering his success in recruiting new areas for Arkansas as a GA.  Let's give him a chance instead of criticizing everything before the man sets foot in Denton.

Conley? 80 % or so of his ties have retired.  I think we need to get younger at that position in a hurry. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Marty said:

Hire Patrick Cobbs.

It would be awesome to see Patrick on staff in some capacity.

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Expand what territory? We have been getting killed in Denton County. There is no territory to expand.

Hopefully this class improves dramatically  before Feb 3rd.

Getting killed by what program(s) in Denton County?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Surely not.  A couple of people have mentioned in other threads that there is a pending rule to allow 10 full-time coaches.  The only possibility seems to be that SL is certain that rule is going to pass, and is going to hire a RB coach.

Or maybe SL coaches the RBs himself... Like saban coaches his Safeties. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Or maybe SL coaches the RBs himself... Like saban coaches his Safeties. 

Are you sure about Saban coaching safeties?  Derrick Ansley's bio indicates that he coaches all DBs, including safeties.

Anyhow, SL coaching RBs is a possibility I hadn't thought of.  It would surprise me, but it is possible.

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Don't hold your breath waiting

We NEVER get Denton kids (Schilleci, Tyreke Davis) just like Fine never completes passes downfield.  

I will let you carry my torch on this one.  Thank you.

5 hours ago, wardly said:

Really close to NSD to lose your top East Texas recruiter. Poor timing to say the least.

I don't think thks came as a surprise to anyone affiliated with the program.  I would bet Perry wasn't too active this recruiting season past the HOD Bowl.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1