Let's get a party started!

Gakusei

You'd have to click on the "Pary Hard!" link in my sig to get the topic title. laugh.gif

Anyway, how many would be interested in doing some tailgating before the basketball games? I know that right now we wouldn't have anything near what happens at the football games, and that some of you might be too Texan to stand the "cold" temps (tongue.gif), but how many people would be interested in setting something up? I also do realize that many people can't make it to Denton on the weekdays that early.

I was thinking that for weekday games, we could set up shop somewhere around 4-5PM, grill some steaks/burgers/whatever and have a few beers/cokes. If we had maybe 20-30 people coming, I'm sure the athletic dept. wouldn't have a problem setting aside a few spaces on the west side of Fouts for us.

For weekend games (only 2 more this year after tomorrow), I'm sure it'd be about the same time setup, but we could probably procure a little more room in the Fouts parking lot, and maybe get something a little more organized than a small charcoal grill and a cooler like the weekday games would probably be. tongue.gif

Anyway, just an idea. I'd really like to try and generate some more interest in basketball, and I think the tailgating for the football games has done wonders for increasing attendance and making the gameday experience better. biggrin.gif

Awesome. I think I'm going to start showing up with a small grill and enough hamburgers to feed 5-10 people or so, and possibly some beer (if permitted) or dr. peppers. I can't do it this week because of one of my finals lasting until 6pm Tuesday night.

I think I'll start showing up to the games with that stuff on December 29th. I'll be skipping UT PanAm since there's a game 2 days later, and my budget isn't that big. I'll also be skipping New Orleans since I'll be unavailable on that day as far as I know.

Gakusei's 1-man tailgating show tongue.gif

December 29 - Indiana

4:30pm-6:30pm

January 10 - New Mexico State

January 15 - Denver

5:15pm-6:30pm

February 12 - MUTS

5:15pm-6:30pm

February 23 - UL-Lafayette

I'll post a location as soon as I can find out from the athletic department where would be an ok place for me to sit and eat my hamburger.

Edited by Gakusei

Absolutely. As soon as I know the location and details I'll post here so everyone can know, and I'll make sure to PM you.

Looking forward to starting this up with you guys. biggrin.gif

Maybe some of the Greenbackers can chime in too? Not anything like the football games (yet), but it'd be nice to have some more people there and another grill or two if we happen to get more than what I would anticipate at most games (10-30).

By the way, if anyone out there wants to help out with this, please, please PM me.

Edited by Gakusei

CMJ, definitely.

I just spoke with David in the athletic office and asked the pertinent questions (location, coal disposal, beer, etc). He talked with me for a few minutes and said that he was going to get with his contact at the UNT PD and get the OK from them. Said he'd be back in contact with me in the next couple of days.

I think we're close to getting this started! biggrin.gif

Edited by Gakusei

I would love to, except:

1) I don't have the OK from the athletic department/UNT PD yet

2) I don't have the necessary materials yet (cheap charcoal grill, card table, etc)

3) I have an exam that lasts until 6PM tomorrow

Assuming everything falls into place on the administration side, I'll start with the Indiana game. As soon as I have the OK, I'll post the information on what will be offered, how to RSVP (since it will be a small event and being a student, I don't have Greenbacker-like budget), and how to contribute (bringing food, chipping in for some additional materials over the course of the season to make the experience better for everyone).

I'm thinking I'll have this info up and posted by this weekend if we get the OK.