Coaches Caravan

Marty

Glad they're still doing this, heard Poppy talking about it at halftime of the women's game. All will be in April: Park Place Lexus in Plano, The Rustic in Dallas, Billy Bob's in Ft Worth, Denton, and Gainesville. Not sure what order they'll be in.

• Upvote 3

I absolutely could care less about these events at this time.  There's nothing of interest for me as I care nothing of hearing how great the AD staff are and about a bunch of future plans hearsay.  

Now,  I do appreciate the coaches effort in showing up to these events and telling the room "we need your support,..come out and support us".  Problem is the alumni are fed up and are past that shit now...and the coaches can mostly thank their boss for it.  

It's simply time to just go out and win and the rest will take care of itself.

Rick 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

On March 10, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Marty said:

Glad they're still doing this, heard Poppy talking about it at halftime of the women's game. All will be in April: Park Place Lexus in Plano, The Rustic in Dallas, Billy Bob's in Ft Worth, Denton, and Gainesville. Not sure what order they'll be in.

Thanks.  Been waiting to hear some info on the stops this year.  I had heard they were looking at the Rustic as a Dallas Venue.  Been there...like it...hope it works for this sort of event.

Thanks.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

On March 10, 2016 at 0:05 PM, FirefightnRick said:

I absolutely could care less about these events at this time.  There's nothing of interest for me as I care nothing of hearing how great the AD staff are and about a bunch of future plans hearsay.  

Now,  I do appreciate the coaches effort in showing up to these events and telling the room "we need your support,..come out and support us".  Problem is the alumni are fed up and are past that shit now...and the coaches can mostly thank their boss for it.  

It's simply time to just go out and win and the rest will take care of itself.

Rick 

May go this year, got totally turned off; first year McCarney was here and almost the entire football section was the HC and AD taking turns telling the other one how great they were.   Expect some of this particularly with a new coach, but it is was laid on so thick; they should have been embarrassed.  

I haven't been back since, and that was before McCarney was exposed as a coach.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

May go this year, got totally turned off; first year McCarney was here and almost the entire football section was the HC and AD taking turns telling the other one how great they were.   Expect some of this particularly with a new coach, but it is was laid on so thick; they should have been embarrassed.  

I haven't been back since, and that was before McCarney was exposed as a coach.  

My last time was Benford, Peterson, McCarney and of course RV.

RV started off telling us how proud he was of all he had accomplished and thanked his wonderful staff.

I met Benford earlier in the night and remember thinking something didn't seem righ?.  Later after hearing him speak realized he's not a communicator at all but thought that could just be how he is, after all,  public speaking is very tough and some folks just can't do it.  This was also when I noticed that it was really really paining Mac to be there as he sat in a corner by himself and stirred and stared at his drink.

Then Peterson got up and started what seemed like a really bad stand up routine.  He had no problem speaking in public.  I saw a little bit of what  I would later learn why some of the girls on his team couldn't effing stand the guy.  This made me even more pissed at RV for hiring him.

Then God's gift to Iowa finally got up and started talking.  It didn't take him 3 minutes to start complaining about the lack of support by alumni and railing about how pissed he was that no one showed up in the cold rain to see Dunbar's giant game against the muts the season before.  He'd been here what, 18 months with a brand new house to recruit to and play in and he was already bitching?  That did it for me because I was there that night for the muts game, kids in tow freezing our asses off.  It pissed me off.  I felt like standing up and yelling "#%& you dude!". 

Instead I just got up in the middle of his grey goose-induced rant and walked to the back of the room, told a PD buddy of mine who was on duty good bye and headed for the nearest exit door and haven't been back since.

A complete wasted night.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

40 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

RV started off telling us how proud he was of all he had accomplished and thanked his wonderful staff.

I met Benford earlier in the night and remember thinking something didn't seem righ?.  Later after hearing him speak realized he's not a communicator at all but thought that could just be how he is, after all,  public speaking is very tough and some folks just can't do it.  This was also when I noticed that it was really really paining Mac to be there as he sat in a corner by himself and stirred and stared at his drink.

Then Peterson got up and started what seemed like a really bad stand up routine.  He had no problem speaking in public.  I saw a little bit of what  I would later learn why some of the girls on his team couldn't effing stand the guy.  This made me even more pissed at RV for hiring him.

Then God's gift to Iowa finally got up and started talking.  It didn't take him 3 minutes to start complaining about the lack of support by alumni and railing about how pissed he was that no one showed up in the cold rain to see Dunbar's giant game against the muts the season before.  He'd been here what, 18 months with a brand new house to recruit to and play in and he was already bitching?  That did it for me because I was there that night for the muts game, kids in tow freezing our asses off.  It pissed me off.  I felt like standing up and yelling "#%& you dude!". 

Instead I just got up in the middle of his grey goose-induced rant and walked to the back of the room, told a PD buddy of mine who was on duty good bye and headed for the nearest exit door and haven't been back since.

A complete wasted night.

Rick

By that time, I'm sure Mac realized that he was at the most small time college football program in FBS, his boss cared only about keeping his own job, and Mac was having to do ALL the heavy lifting to promote the program.

Cant blame him for the frustration. Wonder how long it will take Littrell to reach a similiar point.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

43 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

A complete wasted night.

Rick

I know it was very annoying to hear him bitch, but he was right about the attendance issue. But then, it's always been an issue at North Texas. The question is "who's primarily responsible? The head coach or the AD and his/her staff?"

People say "just start winning and everything else will take care of itself".  Well, we had a four year bowl run ten years ago and that alone didn't significantly raise our average attendance. We had (for us) a big bowl win two years ago, but again, no significant increase in attendance. 

So who's to blame? The man who's walked the sidelines of programs that regularly sold out and expressed frustration about our obvious lacking in that department. Or the man who is in charge of the whole program?

I've said this for years and years.......IT'S A CULTURAL ISSUE FOLKS! WE HAVE TO CHANGE OUR CULTURE.

Hayden Fry recognized the core issue back in 1973. He started with a town meeting on campus with teaching staff, students, and University employees, and then went about changing how the team looks (color change and unique logo change).   He then sent his spirit staff to many of the local communities and let them know that he want to be THEIR COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM.  

We haven't seen anything approaching that kind of insight and effort/energy since Fry left.

I agree with 90. I wonder how long it will take Littrell to come to the same frustration level as his predecessor over our core issue........culture.....or the lack thereof.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I know it was very annoying to hear him bitch, but he was right about the attendance issue. But then, it's always been an issue at North Texas. The question is "who's primarily responsible? The head coach or the AD and his/her staff?"

People say "just start winning and everything else will take care of itself".  Well, we had a four year bowl run ten years ago and that alone didn't significantly raise our average attendance. We had (for us) a big bowl win two years ago, but again, no significant increase in attendance. 

So who's to blame? The man who's walked the sidelines of programs that regularly sold out and expressed frustration about our obvious lacking in that department. Or the man who is in charge of the whole program?

I've said this for years and years.......IT'S A CULTURAL ISSUE FOLKS! WE HAVE TO CHANGE OUR CULTURE.

Hayden Fry recognized the core issue back in 1973. He started with a town meeting on campus with teaching staff, students, and University employees, and then went about changing how the team looks (color change and unique logo change).   He then sent his spirit staff to many of the local communities and let them know that he want to be THEIR COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM.  

We haven't seen anything approaching that kind of insight and effort/energy since Fry left.

I agree with 90. I wonder how long it will take Littrell to come to the same frustration level as his predecessor over our core issue........culture.....or the lack thereof.

I give it 2 years before RV's "vision" ruins another promising career. 

And I know it's just not RV. It's the culture that allows an RV to stay employed for 15 years and to kingdom build his way to apparently being an untouchable employee, despite being a failure at his job.

I doubt it will ever be any different at UNT. As a former Cowboy coach once said, at some point you simply are what you are, and what UNT is is a liberal arts university that doesn't care one iota about athletics.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

40 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

The problem was that with all Fry did both on and off the field, the attendance and support really didn't improve that much.   It can't really be blamed on lack of winning because Fry's era was not that removed from the best teams NT ever fielded and he won.  I really think that the SWC was just too dominate in football back in those days. Every other team was viewed as second rate in Texas.  Tech and Houston did something about it, NT didn't.  

It is easy, ask McCarney and RV, to blame everything on Culture.   A near meaningless term used to describe failure.  

The truth is that almost all football programs are struggling for recognition as pro and college games are available everywhere and the continued arms race is draining even the rich programs.  NT's situation is not unique, in fact it is typical of poor performing second tier programs. 

Consistent winning is the only remedy and even that is going to be a slow fix.    

• Upvote 1

No...he had no reason to bitch at that point.  He was making three quarter mil and standing in a room full of people who were probably all at the game he was bitching about.

Not winning and you want to bitch?  Bitch to those in charge.  Not to the customers. 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

No...he had no reason to bitch at that point.  He was making three quarter mil and standing in a room full of people who were probably all at the game he was bitching about.

Not winning and you want to bitch?  Bitch to those in charge.  Not to the customers. 

Rick

I think he had bitched to those I charge, and they simply didn't care. His immediate boss was too busy covering his own ass to put any effort into promoting football games. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3