MGB chalk talk: UNT to host FAU (Benford's strong words on those "throwing dirt" on team)

Brett Vito

Former UNT football coach Dan McCarney went on a similar rant about low expectations and people throwing dirt on the program before the beginning of football season.

I love you, Vito. 

I hope Benford and McCarney can get together and commiserate over the unfairness of doubters and haters. Both should have a LOT of free time to coordinate schedules in about a month or so. 

Almost every losing program's coach try to rally the troops with a version of "us against the world" spin.  I am sure Littrell will make sure to point out how little the sport world think of his first team's chances.  Sure, a strong finish could save his job; but it is any coaches duty to play to win.   

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Cheap attempt to "lock the gate."

Problem is, the players gotta respect you for that to happen.

Not at all sure that the current players don't respect Benford.   They all chose to play for him and most had other options.   

Before you start in with your usual mantra, of accusing anyone with a counter opinion of protecting the "status Quo", finding a new AD and MBB coach would be fine with me.  

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Almost every losing program's coach try to rally the troops with a version of "us against the world" spin.  I am sure Littrell will make sure to point out how little the sport world think of his first team's chances.  Sure, a strong finish could save his job; but it is any coaches duty to play to win.   

Not at all sure that the current players don't respect Benford.   They all chose to play for him and most had other options.   

Before you start in with your usual mantra, of accusing anyone with a counter opinion of protecting the "status Quo", finding a new AD and MBB coach would be fine with me.  

So defensive are you.

Well, I haven't seen players react to Benford this year because I haven't wasted my money on a crap product, but I can tell you that in the previous 3 years of Benford's reign of incompetence, player reaction to Benford was always one of annoyance. Witnessed it from 2 rows behind the bench on multiple occasions.

Maybe things are different this year, but I doubt it.

#lockerroomcancers

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

At least one has chosen not to play for him and he most certainly came here to play for Benford. 

I think he can sell, but not deliver. Once people figure that out about Benford they are turned off by the constant selling and I think the players teach that conclusion in many cases as well.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, UNT90 said:

So defensive are you.

Well, I haven't seen players react to Benford this year because I haven't wasted my money on a crap product, but I can tell you that in the previous 3 years of Benford's reign of incompetence, player reaction to Benford was always one of annoyance. Witnessed it from 2 rows behind the bench on multiple occasions.

#lockerroomcancers

Hmmmmm don't believe you made many games last year either.  What, you came with a pal to the UTEP game perhaps?  Thought that was it for you last season.

7 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

At least one has chosen not to play for him and he most certainly came here to play for Benford. 

I think he can sell, but not deliver. Once people figure that out about Benford they are turned off by the constant selling and I think the players teach that conclusion in many cases as well.

Agree...but many more than one have chosen to come here and play for him...like our two newest signees including Frazier. You will recall that one left Jalie's squad as well this year.  Some players just feel they need to leave for one reason or another.  Not always on the coach.  What faults folks may see in Benford, his relationship with the players on this team is very good and is not one of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, UNT90 said:

So defensive are you.

#lockerroomcancers

Not defensive, thought I would save you a new keystrokes.  Should have known better. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/20/2016 at 2:41 PM, KRAM1 said:

Hmmmmm don't believe you made many games last year either.  What, you came with a pal to the UTEP game perhaps?  Thought that was it for you last season.

Agree...but many more than one have chosen to come here and play for him...like our two newest signees including Frazier. You will recall that one left Jalie's squad as well this year.  Some players just feel they need to leave for one reason or another.  Not always on the coach.  What faults folks may see in Benford, his relationship with the players on this team is very good and is not one of them.

The argument for Benford has never really been about his ability to assemble talented players, at least not with me. I think the main argument against him has been his inability to mold the talent into a competitive and competent team. His in game decision making is questionable. If we have players who are putting in the effort on and off the court. And these players are talented then why are we not winning games? To me its a direct result of the strategies and way he teaches the game.

There are some really great coaches out there who could take this team to the NCAA tourney and possibly win a game. We have a guy who cant steer the car, but can only put the fuel in. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1