Morris and English transfers official

TheReal_jayD

DENTON – Mean Green head coach Seth Littrell got an early start on signing day, picking up two FBS transfers in defensive tackle Bryce English and quarterback Alec Morris, North Texas announced Tuesday.

English, a redshirt freshman who is hoping to gain eligibility for the 2016 season, is a transfer from Kansas State while Morris arrives in Denton after winning two national titles with Alabama. Both highly-touted players are from the DFW area, English having played high school football at DeSoto and Morris at Allen. Morris is a graduate student and is immediately eligible.

Read more:

http://m.meangreensports.com/m/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011916aaa.html

• Upvote 4

OK so why does the athletic department STILL talk about English trying to gain eligibility for the 2016 season when the rule has changed to only allow the player to not lose a season(in total) while still sitting out. I really wish they would correct this or in the more likely scenario, learn the rule.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

OK so why does the athletic department STILL talk about English trying to gain eligibility for the 2016 season when the rule has changed to only allow the player to not lose a season(in total) while still sitting out. I really wish they would correct this or in the more likely scenario, learn the rule.

You can still appeal anything and set up a hearing with the NCAA.  The transfer is no longer an automatic process where you submit the 3 documents of proof, and it goes through.

There's a good chance he gets to play in 2016. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

You can still appeal anything and set up a hearing with the NCAA.  The transfer is no longer an automatic process where you submit the 3 documents of proof, and it goes through.

There's a good chance he gets to play in 2016. 

"NCAA athletes who transfer will no longer be able to apply for a hardship waiver to become immediately eligible at a new school starting in 2015-2016.

The NCAA approved the change in April 2014 allowing transfers a possible sixth-year of eligibility. The extra year replaces the ability for a recruit to play immediately at his or her new school if granted a waiver. The sanctioning body sent out a statement earlier in the week addressing questions about the new rule, which goes into effect next school year."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ncaa-drops-immediate-eligibility-hardship-waiver-for-transfers-191437627.html

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

NCAA still listens to special cases.  It's an APPEAL process...may work, may not...you can still take it to the NCAA to hear.

He won't be applying for a waiver.  He can already get that.  It will be an APPEAL to play immediately due to special circumstances.

Even though there was a rule in place, Baker Mayfield still made an APPEAL to the NCAA to play inmediately at OU for 2014.  It was denied.  But they still heard his case and made a decision.  The NCAA did give OU an extra scholarship for him though.

The NCAA will hear his case.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

NCAA still listens to special cases.  It's an APPEAL process...may work, may not...you can still take it to the NCAA to hear.

He won't be applying for a waiver.  He can already get that.  It will be an APPEAL to play immediately due to special circumstances.

Even though there was a rule in place, Baker Mayfield still made an APPEAL to the NCAA to play inmediately at OU for 2014.  It was denied.  But they still heard his case and made a decision.  The NCAA did give OU an extra scholarship for him though.

I look forward to seeing English play in 2017.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, GOMG2013 said:

Ok....and....?  What's your point?  I'm not the one that is putting out hopes of him playing in 2016.  Obviously the team and English think they have a shot at an appeal.  

My point is that he has as much chance at playing in 2016 as you or I do. We didn't win these cases even when there was a specific waiver process in place. We are not going to win anything now.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

28 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Correct they are still making exceptions.  

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Correct they are still making exceptions.  

Are we sure about that? This new rule takes place beginning this year, Baker Mayfield and any others were "appealing" before the new rule. Anyone have a source for this appeal to become immediately eligible due to a hardship? Seems counter-intuitive to take it away but still be able to appeal for it... 

26 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Ok....and....?  What's your point?  I'm not the one that is putting out hopes of him playing in 2016.  Obviously the team and English think they have a shot at an appeal.  

You gave a 2014 example, this rule is beginning this season. I have no heard of any such "appeal" since the new rule. I've heard of being denied and then appealing but not appealing when the rule clearly says no. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

You gave a 2014 example, this rule is beginning this season. I have no heard of any such "appeal" since the new rule. I've heard of being denied and then appealing but not appealing when the rule clearly says no. 

In 2014 there was a transfer rule in place too.  Mayfield still tried to appeal the rule in 2014.  That is what an appeal is.  You think you have a special circumstance and you want to be heard no matter what the rule is.  In 2014 there was an 85 scholarship limit.  OU was granted an extra scholarship for mayfield.  

Grier the QB at Florida was suspended due to a rule.  He appealed the suspension and was denied.  

The NCAA has an appeal process.  It's kinda obvious that UNT and English plan to use it.  The rule is irrelevant at this point.  They want this situation to be viewed as a special circumstance and want to make a case.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

My point is that he has as much chance at playing in 2016 as you or I do. We didn't win these cases even when there was a specific waiver process in place. We are not going to win anything now.

So, what, we should probably drop football as we never win anyway? 

There is an appeals process still in place even with the new rule. There is absolutely no chance of playing next year without an appeal and some chance with one. Further, there is no penalty for making the appeal. If you never ask you will never get a "yes" so why not ask?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

In 2014 there was a transfer rule in place too.  Mayfield still tried to appeal the rule in 2014.  That is what an appeal is.  You think you have a special circumstance and you want to be heard no matter what the rule is.  In 2014 there was an 85 scholarship limit.  OU was granted an extra scholarship for mayfield.  

Grier the QB at Florida was suspended due to a rule.  He appealed the suspension and was denied.  

The NCAA has an appeal process.  It's kinda obvious that UNT and English plan to use it.  The rule is irrelevant at this point.  They want this situation to be viewed as a special circumstance and want to make a case.

Thats not what this is saying though. It is acting as if he can get the transfer based on the old rule. They can appeal the entire rule I suppose but the special circumstances have already been covered when they proposed it. They said if you have an hardship, such as a family illness or death, we won't penalize you a year of eligibility but take a year off from football to get your mind right. That's the new rule and it hasn't been appealed yet because it just took place. 

17 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

So, what, we should probably drop football as we never win anyway? 

There is an appeals process still in place even with the new rule. There is absolutely no chance of playing next year without an appeal and some chance with one. Further, there is no penalty for making the appeal. If you never ask you will never get a "yes" so why not ask?

Was referring to the fact that we have a very very poor track record of winning appeals. The likelihood of winning this in the face of the recent rule change removing immediate eligibility is extremely unlikly. Not saying we shouldn't appeal but anyone counting on English playing next season will be very disappointed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Eagle-96 said:

Was referring to the fact that we have a very very poor track record of winning appeals. The likelihood of winning this in the face of the recent rule change removing immediate eligibility is extremely unlikly. Not saying we shouldn't appeal but anyone counting on English playing next season will be very disappointed.

Appealing when being denied under an existing rule is one thing. Appealing when the rule is vague or there is a grey area is another. Appealing when the rule has specifically spoken to your exact circumstance is what he is suggesting and I've never heard of that working in the NCAA. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

Is there a way to save quotes? If so, can we keep this one so that, in case he wins his appeal, I can get ready to suit up in time for the first game?  I believe I still have 4 years of eligibility.

Seriously though...sounds like they're just thinking positively.  And who knows, since it's cancer, he could play the "what if this is my Dad's last year to see me play" card...which is, conversely, definitely NOT thinking positively, but could be used to sway them.  Maybe.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, JesseMartin said:

Is there a way to save quotes? If so, can we keep this one so that, in case he wins his appeal, I can get ready to suit up in time for the first game?  I believe I still have 4 years of eligibility.

Seriously though...sounds like they're just thinking positively.  And who knows, since it's cancer, he could play the "what if this is my Dad's last year to see me play" card...which is, conversely, definitely NOT thinking positively, but could be used to sway them.  Maybe.

If you and I suit up next year then 2015 will be looked upon fondly in comparison to our record for 2016. Not saying you don't have game but opponent records WILL fall.

200.gif

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

Hmm...well, I'm really good at kicking and recovering onside kicks...and as a blocker, I'm awesome at creating distractions.  Have you ever seen how quickly someone loses focus on the game when you tell them you're going to chase them and stick your thumb in their pooper?  Works EVERY time.  (I've not, however, encountered someone who would enjoy such an attack; in the event that this were to take place, I'd assume such threats to be terribly counterproductive to my overall on-the-field efficiency.)

• Upvote 1