Seth Littrell record

17 hours ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

Hey, im excited about the Littrell hire. But does anyone know what his career w/l record/s as a coordinator were before this past season?  

I posted it when he was hired, but am too lazy to go back and look for it now.  It wasn't great.  But, look...he wasn't coaching the defenses of the teams for which he was offensive coordinator.

There are three parts to a successful football team - offense, defense, and special teams.  Not Littrell's fault that the Indiana and North Carolina defenses weren't great.  He was holding up his end of the bargain on the offensive side of the ledger.

• Upvote 1

I don't have the time to pull offensive stats but here are the team records:

Offensive Coordinator
Arizona
2010 7-6 4-5
2011 4-8 2-7

Offensive Coordinator
Indiana
2012 4-8 2-6
2013 5-7 3-5

Assistant Head Coach
UNC
2014 6-7 4-4
2015 11-3 8-0

Edited by UNTFan23

1 hour ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

I posted it when he was hired, but am too lazy to go back and look for it now.  It wasn't great.  But, look...he wasn't coaching the defenses of the teams for which he was offensive coordinator.

There are three parts to a successful football team - offense, defense, and special teams.  Not Littrell's fault that the Indiana and North Carolina defenses weren't great.  He was holding up his end of the bargain on the offensive side of the ledger.

The W/L record might not be all that important but the performance stats for his position should be.

Since Seth Littrell has only been working one side of the aisle I don't see significance in the records of the teams where he was essentially the offensive coordinator.  Even the yards per game wouldn't tell the whole story due to time of possession and other factors.  Perhaps the most telling statistic would be yards gained per play.

Here is how his output has progressed:

2010 - 5.46 (32)  Arizona

2011 - 6.14 (27)  Arizona

2012 - 5.67 (66)  Indiana

2013 - 6.58 (15)  Indiana

2014 - 5.56 (66)  North Carolina

2015 - 7.28 (1)    North Carolina

The number in parentheses was his national rank.

Another favorable factor is points scored.  In his first two OC years at Arizona his average points went from 28.2 to 30.8.  His next two years at Indiana his point production was 30.8 followed by 38.4.  His North Carolina stop had average points of 33.2 his first year followed by 40.7.  As you can see his first year was good but his second year produced improvement in all three cases.  Contrast those averages with North Texas...our best year was 2013 when we averaged 31.8.  Our next best was 27.2, buoyed, I believe, by our rout of Nichols State.  That wouldn't have equaled Seth's worst.  Last year was 15.2.

What I see is improvement at each stop, both in yards per play and scoring average.  And, his first years at each stop wasn't too shabby.  We should see a very exciting offense on the field next year.  Now, whether we can stop anyone, I don't know.  But, at least the games should be a lot more entertaining.

I think you guys will be surprised. This offense if ran correctly with a smart QB with a good arm will tear the Conf USA defenses to pieces. Do we have a QB that can run this offense ?--I think we do ---football players have to be given a chance to succeed -- I don't think this happened last year . I do think the QB will need to be mobile  as our offensive line matures and learns the blocking schemes. I think the QB race is up for grabs--definitely Smith and Morris are in the race --- but a lot of times you will see a dark horse come out of the pack if they are given the chance to succeed--interesting to see if they get a good high school QB with this class. Looking forward to Spring Football .

My issue is I found this site this season and trying to learn and catch up on the team. When I started following the coach got fired and read the q.b. was terrible as well as his back ups. This is my sole source for information. I appreciate all the analysis on this board. Any word on Littrells' recruiting focus right now? 

45 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

We don't have the QB to run it. That is the biggest need by a mile on this team.

so....  for sure, alec morris isn't going to provide a qb positional upgrade in your mind for one year? 

just curious if you wanted to expand on this.  I know the board would love more unt90 piss in our collective Cheerios.

I understand the "I'll see it before I believe it" thing.  I also understand that bringing in a backup qb transfer from the biggest program going now isn't going to fix all our ills the way that it appears to have dramatically helped schools like la tech(of course I understand that there were other factors involved in helping their successes the past 2 seasons).

I was curious if this was just more Cheerio peepee or if you truly don't expect anything from alec morris for one season?  I know that a qb's success hinges on much more than just his play alone. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, SHOSS said:

so....  for sure, alec morris isn't going to provide a qb positional upgrade in your mind for one year? 

just curious if you wanted to expand on this.  I know the board would love more unt90 piss in our collective Cheerios.

I understand the "I'll see it before I believe it" thing.  I also understand that bringing in a backup qb transfer from the biggest program going now isn't going to fix all our ills the way that it appears to have dramatically helped schools like la tech(of course I understand that there were other factors involved in helping their successes the past 2 seasons).

I was curious if this was just more Cheerio peepee or if you truly don't expect anything from alec morris for one season?  I know that a qb's success hinges on much more than just his play alone. 

The point is we don't know what to expect. I would feel better of Morris was the clear cut #2 QB like the transfers to La. Tech were at their previous school. He wasn't. He was 3rd on the depth chart and has thrown 1 career pass in 4 years.

Do I think he is an upgrade? Hell yes. But I would think you might be an upgrade if you had any eligibility left. 

What Litrell needs is options at that position. So far, he has gone from zero to one. I'm sure he is hoping for more. That is indicated by simply looking at QBs that graduated and left the program. 

Problem with Morris is we don't know if he will be a very slight upgrade or a major upgrade. Spring should give a slight peek at what he is or isn't.

Litrell needs at least 2 more options. I wish he would have gone after a JUCO QB, but that's just me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

The point is we don't know what to expect. I would feel better of Morris was the clear cut #2 QB like the transfers to La. Tech were at their previous school. He wasn't. He was 3rd on the depth chart and has thrown 1 career pass in 4 years.

Do I think he is an upgrade? Hell yes. But I would think you might be an upgrade if you had any eligibility left. 

What Litrell needs is options at that position. So far, he has gone from zero to one. I'm sure he is hoping for more. That is indicated by simply looking at QBs that graduated and left the program. 

Problem with Morris is we don't know if he will be a very slight upgrade or a major upgrade. Spring should give a slight peek at what he is or isn't.

Litrell needs at least 2 more options. I wish he would have gone after a JUCO QB, but that's just me.

very good.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, SHOSS said:

very good.

Driskel attempted over 500 career passes for Florida and I can't find any stats on Skokol for his time at Iowa, which may indicate that he never attempted a pass.

Point being that it's a crap shoot with no proven QB to run this offense.

59 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Driskel attempted over 500 career passes for Florida and I can't find any stats on Skokol for his time at Iowa, which may indicate that he never attempted a pass.

Sokol was the #3 QB at Iowa, never threw a pass there.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you.  His experience since high school is basically either running scout team again the bama d...  or just holding a clipboard, sending in signals, and getting a bare minimum in reps...  I'm with ya.  I would still submit that this is a reason to get somewhat excited.  time will tell of course. 

18 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Sokol was the #3 QB at Iowa, never threw a pass there.

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2013/8/23/4651078/iowa-hawkeye-football-releases-two-deeps-for-niu-jake-rudock-named

it looks like he was co-#2 QB, but, ya, still didn't throw a pass. Let's all hope Morris is 3/4 the QB Skokol turned out to be for La. Tech.