DBs coach Brian Stewart interviewed for UTSA job

Harry

Nebraska defensive backs coach Brian Stewart is reportedly in the mix for the open head coaching position at the University of Texas-San Antonio.

Jared Kalmus, a UTSA beat writer and reporter for SB Nation, published a report Tuesday that stated Stewart interviewed with a search firm tasked with finding a replacement for Larry Coker, who stepped down after five seasons with the FBS program earlier this month.

Coker was the first-ever coach at UTSA, who hired him two years before taking the field in 2011. The Roadrunners were 26-32 under Coker.

Stewart could not be reached for comment Wednesday morning. A spokesman for the UTSA athletic department declined comment Wednesday.

Read more:  http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/report-dbs-coach-brian-stewart-interviewed-for-utsa-job/article_bccab9c8-ba18-11e5-bbd8-23194e644110.html

14 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

They dont have a clue who their HC is going to be. Its kind of fun to watch their fans panic over it, but there are also those who think it will be better than Littrell.

Not sure they are capable of matching the Littrell hire. Not to mention the momentum he has going into hUNTing season. 

I saw this, this morning. I just thought to myself "This guys a Nutjob" and then I went about my day.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Eagle-96 said:

Looks like they are interested in Glenn Spencer(OSU Defensive Coordinator) for the position. A guy whose defense gave up 439 yards per game for 99th in the country. Just ahead of UTSA at 100th. OSU also gave up 30.5 points per game. Good luck with that.

I mean, he's certainly an up-and-comer... towards retirement.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

GMG initially: "UTSA can't afford anyone worth a damn for $500k."

GMG after it's reported that UTSA will spend $800k: "Oh well only position coaches and retreads are interested."

GMG after Spencer is interviewed: "Oh well he isn't that good anyways."

LOL we could hire Saban and yall would find a way to minimize it. Litrell was a good hire, I have no problem acknowledging that. Spencer would be a good hire for us too especially considering the circumstances. Not sure why yall find it so hard to acknowledge that.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Is this the one?

SpencerG13mug.JPG.ashx?preset=large.rost

Bio for Glenn Spencer

1 hour ago, correcamino said:

GMG after it's reported that UTSA will spend $800k: "Oh well only position coaches and retreads are interested."

GMG after Stewart is interviewed: "Oh well he isn't that good anyways."

LOL we could hire Saban and yall would find a way to minimize it. Litrell was a good hire, I have no problem acknowledging that. Spencer would be a good hire for us too especially considering the circumstances. Not sure why yall find it so hard to acknowledge that.

This sounds more like Lynn Hickey's Base of HC Procurement lies only within the confines of Oklahoma.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, correcamino said:

GMG after Spencer is interviewed: "Oh well he isn't that good anyways."

Just because it's reported you can spend that much doesn't mean anything. UNT had there next HC $ approved up to 1.2 million, but they didn't use it all. So you still may hire a guy around 600K with hopes of increasing your assistant pay. 

Im sorry but the list of people interested has been underwhelming to most. Probably due to the fact it was posted so late. 

3 of our final 4 were Littrell, Meacham, and Scott Frost. Not sure anyone associated with y'all search carries the attention that those guys do. 

Spencer may be a good hire for y'all, but it won't move the needle in CUSA or make UNT fans feel threatened. We are feeling pretty good the way out new coach is changing the culture. Also feel his staff is solid. 

Good luck with Spencer 

• Upvote 3

I am almost starting to think that that guy who was giving a talk in front of a packed house at the coaches conference recently should be given a shot at the UTSA HC job. He was talking about quarterbacks and fundamentals and is about as good an OC as Spencer a DC. I am sure he would also be ok with keeping some of the existing coaches for a year.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, outoftown said:

I am almost starting to think that that guy who was giving a talk in front of a packed house at the coaches conference recently should be given a shot at the UTSA HC job. He was talking about quarterbacks and fundamentals and is about as good an OC as Spencer a DC. I am sure he would also be ok with keeping some of the existing coaches for a year.

Keeping existing coaches isn't a condition of employment. The real issue will be who he brings in ad OC.

• Upvote 2

Look at the rest of the thread above your reply, though.  LOTS of trash talk.  And you mirrored my point...talking trash before we know how things will shake out can leave people looking really foolish.

• Upvote 1