Dan McCarney mention as candidate for Boston College DC

Harry

There is a current market value versus contractual factor that goes into this.   There is also in Dan's case, an issue that at his age if he takes a year or two off it could damper his value.  Tony Levine is a name that keeps coming up around here.  Levine has a big payout from UofH and he has to compare that against what he could make on the open market right now and in the future.  This is why I think he say last season out.  I am not sure that Dan wants to sit out a season at this point in his career.

4 hours ago, Harry said:

I am surprised he is not getting a position with Ferentz at Iowa, Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin or perhaps on Urban Meyer's staff at State.  Maybe even the Wizard at KSU might try to throw a bone his old friend. 

Funny how these coaching tree things work. 

They know him best, which tells you all you need to know.  

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

Wednesday January 13 is the last day of the dead period

Thank you

49 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

They probably couldn't stand his stubborn ass

Who can/could? Seriously? I would get an upset stomach while my eyes constantly rolled into the back of my head every time I heard him talk or tuned in to his radio show. What a terrible hire. Plus note though, Rick V states that he was still a "good" hire. Same dude that hired him is still here making decisions and that is the scariest part of all of this. I now hold Neal Smastrek responsible for everything athletically related. He knew people wanted RV out, he must extensively now know of RV's track record, he sees the current state of our basketball program and yet Smastrek is still letting him linger around. As far as I'm concerned, it now all falls on Smastrek's shoulders. Coincidentally, my thought process is just what the snake Ricky V wants/wanted all along. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Thank you

Who can/could? Seriously? I would get an upset stomach while my eyes constantly rolled into the back of my head every time I heard him talk or tuned in to his radio show. What a terrible hire. Plus note though, Rick V states that he was still a "good" hire. Same dude that hired him is still here making decisions and that is the scariest part of all of this. I now hold Neal Smastrek responsible for everything athletically related. He knew people wanted RV out, he must extensively now know of RV's track record, he sees the current state of our basketball program and yet Smastrek is still letting him linger around. As far as I'm concerned, it now all falls on Smastrek's shoulders. Coincidentally, my thought process is just what the snake Ricky V wants/wanted all along. 

What you don't know is if Smatresk looked at RV's record and wanted to make a change but the BOR/UNT 17 said "No, you aren't" or if he looks at RV, and just like the BOR/UNT 17, says, "Love his vision, glad we have him."

Either way, its depressing. But its also so very North Texas that this guy will decide on his terms when he leaves and will probably cut the ribbon in front of tens of people when the athletic department gets named after him, while overlooking the Darrell Dickey Practice Fields.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

There is a current market value versus contractual factor that goes into this.   There is also in Dan's case, an issue that at his age if he takes a year or two off it could damper his value.  Tony Levine is a name that keeps coming up around here.  Levine has a big payout from UofH and he has to compare that against what he could make on the open market right now and in the future.  This is why I think he say last season out.  I am not sure that Dan wants to sit out a season at this point in his career.

DMac doesn't forfeit his UNT salary if he takes another coaching job. Basically, he is paid the difference between new salary and old salary by UNT, correct?

• Upvote 2

Coach Mac did something that has only been done 3 time in our entire history.  That alone makes him a good hire no matter who recruited the players on that team.

I don't know what happened this year, but it didn't have anything to do with lack of effort from him or his staff.

I wish him luck, unless he is on the schedule.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Coach MaC won as many bowl games as Coach Dickey.

Sure. Dickey won more games, put us in a better position to move forward, and claims 4 conference championships along with an outstanding conference run. Dickey did this with minimal resources and way less than McCarney. Dan McCarney came in and popped the Mean Green Villages' cherry and now we have nothing to show for it. Facilities use to be our advantage and Dan McCarney failed to take advantage of it. Now, we have a losing tradition attached to our "nice" (turning out to be on par with G5 standards) facilities. He essentially put up a brick wall and stopped the momentum of building the facilities. Meanwhile, a few hours down the road, UH recently built their new stadium while hiring an actual proven commodity and look at where they are. To hire Dan McCarney to go in sync with the completion of Apogee was the absolute worse decision in regards to hiring. There was excitement and something to look forward to and going off of philosophy and coaching track record alone that was a no brainer hell no to hiring McCarney. We brought in a proven loser that turned us into more of a loser. Yet, our fantastic AD made another piss poor decision. I would take Dickey over McCarney 365 days out 365 days. 

2 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Coach Mac did something that has only been done 3 time in our entire history.  That alone makes him a good hire no matter who recruited the players on that team.

I don't know what happened this year, but it didn't have anything to do with lack of effort from him or his staff.

I wish him luck, unless he is on the schedule.

This couldn't be further from the truth. I truly believe that Dan McCarney thought his "name" was going to sell itself to recruits during the recruiting process. When it didn't pan out how he thought it would he put up the white flag and started bitching to almost anyone who would listen. He quit on his players and he quit on our university. Dan McCarney was an atrocious retread hire looking to coast into something simplistic and high paying and that's being as polite as I possibly can be. We were the perfect gig for him. 0 real expectations with a small fan base with no real prolonged history of success to hang our hat on. He was drowning from his salivary glands when we called. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

– Mary Schmich, “Wear Sunscreen”

often times when people on here debate our past I think of these words. It's strange I know. Still if you scratch out "advice"  it about sums up my thoughts on the matter. We should only look forward because there is next to nothing to be all that proud of behind us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The head coach at Boston College is Steve Addazio. He and Mac were both Assistant Head Coaches at Florida in 2008-2010. They worked together before with Addazio handling offense and Mac the defense.

As for other coaches with whom Mac worked not wanting him, do they have open positions? I looked and Iowa and Wisconsin don't. Just because you don't fire a guy you currently have does NOT mean you wouldn't hire a someone if the job is open. 

I enjoyed the Heart of Dallas Bowl win but things were not going well and it was clearly time for a change at NT. Simply having a coach not workout in one place does not mean a coach won't be successful in another. 

Best of luck to Coach Mac in the future!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1