MGB: Patrick, Perry staying on at UNT

Brett Vito

No my point is he has been here 2 seasons (starting his 3rd) the majority of his D-lineman haven't made it through the Redshirt year or into contributing years.  Thats my point. Let me write it out differently.  

DT's: of the 8 we have 2 veterans  JR Sir Calvin FLOP not his recruit, and SR Austin Orr hard nosed kid.  The remaining 6 are either RS Freshman or Freshman except Sid Moore who is a Soph. 1 is leaving in Demikal Harrison (supposedly) 

DE's: of the 8 we have 4 veterans.  The young pups are Tillman Johnson, Eli Howard, JR Jareid Combs (JUCO),  JR Dakota Smith (JUCO) 

Remaining guys are RS SO Flusche, JR Dilonga, JR Roberts, and graduating SR Polk

These are all this years classes and not adjusted for the upcoming season.  I would say he was left a very bare cupboard what about you?

Good Point

I agree 100% with Tommy Perry being on board, the man showed his value to this program. Frankly he was the only coach I liked on Dan's staff.

Kevin Patrick on the other hand? I'm thinking KP has one year to prove himself.

The defensive line was poor in 2014 and horrible in 2015.   So this is the first hire that I will be critically examining because on face value it just appears shaky in my opinion.  It might just be the timing, his familiarity with the program and recruiting connections keeping him on board.  I am no line play guru who can break down technique but even undersize guys should have be a little more successful with proper technique and motivation.   That line was destroyed by an FCS team offensive line.  They played okay against a Tennessee team that was coasting and a really bad UTSA team.

The defensive line was poor in 2014 and horrible in 2015.   So this is the first hire that I will be critically examining because on face value it just appears shaky in my opinion.  It might just be the timing, his familiarity with the program and recruiting connections keeping him on board.  I am no line play guru who can break down technique but even undersize guys should have be a little more successful with proper technique and motivation.   That line was destroyed by an FCS team offensive line.  They played okay against a Tennessee team that was coasting and a really bad UTSA team.

can't have your cake and eat it too... Tennessee is an SEC Oline, coasting or not good play should be highly praised they out maned every player on our d line by 40-60 lbs 

They definitely earned it by continuing to recruit even with Mac gone. He needs them this year at least to keep them in contact with recruits or we'd have to start from scratch and be even worse off than we are. It's out of necessity more than anything. 

you're delusional. 

Did you read my response to your earlier reply? 

• Downvote 4

you're delusional. 

Did you read my response to your earlier reply? 

Yes, so basically we don't know yet how his recruits will do? Like I said, we needed him to recruit because he's one of the few who was doing it on McCarney's staff. Honestly, I'm just weary of anyone on that staff. He may stay on but for the time being he is here because we need him. You say he was left a bare cupboard, but that argument could absolve just about anyone. None of the players were Cosh's recruits so it's not his fault right? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yes, so basically we don't know yet how his recruits will do? Like I said, we needed him to recruit because he's one of the few who was doing it on McCarney's staff. Honestly, I'm just weary of anyone on that staff. He may stay on but for the time being he is here because we need him. You say he was left a bare cupboard, but that argument could absolve just about anyone. None of the players were Cosh's recruits so it's not his fault right? 

yeah... Cosh coached and recruited multiple NFL players.... You sir... Meh I'll leave it there. 

• Downvote 3

I see it this way: Mac and co. wanted big, bruising, run-gap filling D-linemen they were accustomed to with B1G and SEC lines, but the best we feasibly can recruit (and I think recruit fairly well) are the lighter (see: quicker?) linemen that are the norm for G5s. I see Patrick having to try and mold these smaller guys into a big boy system that they were never suited for.

Hopefully Littrell will be wise to this and bring in a DC who can play what we have much more intelligently and have KP coach to such.

• Upvote 3

I think we are customers at bad cafe arguing about how bad the food was.  All I know is for 2 years the defensive line play was poor to bad.  The line was small but adequate to go up against most teams in their conference.   And by adequate I don't mean getting blown off the ball consistently. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
grammer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I see it this way: Mac and co. wanted big, bruising, run-gap filling D-linemen they were accustomed to with B1G and SEC lines, but the best we feasibly can recruit (and I think recruit fairly well) are the lighter (see: quicker?) linemen that are the norm for G5s. I see Patrick having to try and mold these smaller guys into a big boy system that they were never suited for.

Hopefully Littrell will be wise to this and bring in a DC who can play what we have much more intelligently and have KP coach to such.

yep bc top teams in our conference didn't recruit big run stuffing DL... get out with your excuses