What do we have left for next season

southsideguy

Trevor Moore lost a step from his freshman season, but that is how it seems to go with a lot of kickers. I remember Nick Folk's first year with the Cowboys in a year that was highlighted by his 50 yarder (TWICE) to beat Buffalo. Then two years later he misses 10 field goals in a season and the team releases him.

Meanwhile, I'm really excited to see Jeffrey Wilson thrive over the next two years.

Our biggest asset moving into next season from this year is a new coaching staff. The everyone gets a turn game plan yesterday was one of the biggest disappointments I've seen in a very long time. Hopefully every single coach is dismissed and we get a fresh start.

We will be better next year because we can't get worse. This team has been turned around before in a year. Matt Simon did it and won a conference championship. Some players are going to have to go and the rest need to decide to be winners. There is obviously problems in the locker room and the culture here has to be changed by the new coach.

• Upvote 2

Let's be clear. There is no FBS QB on this roster. Several should be encouraged to transfer to FCS.

Filling that position is job #1 in recruiting for the new head coach. If anyone on the current roster is starting the season opener, look for another 2 or 3 win season. Maybe.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Decent RB. Decent WR corps. Decent moving parts on the OL. Potentially decent TE's. Below average QB. 

Decent parts in secondary. Decent parts in DL. Below average LB corps. 

There is significant improvement needed in the OL, LB, secondary, and of course QB. 

What we do have, of which was established and developed by Dan Mccarney, is a culture problem. I am glad that a couple of the players are seniors. New staff needs to watch film and release players as soon as yesterday. 

• Upvote 2

UNT was D.A.L. in EVERY C.U.A. category! Not only is the cupboard bare, there is no cupboard. Either finalist works for me, but my first job would be to cull out the players who need to move on and help them find another home. If they are reluctant to leave, then pull their scholarship.I don't know if that would adversely effect grade point average or not, but whoever comes in must make some hard decisions and clean house or he is just setting himself up for failure.

• Upvote 1

UNT was D.A.L. in EVERY C.U.A. category! Not only is the cupboard bare, there is no cupboard. Either finalist works for me, but my first job would be to cull out the players who need to move on and help them find another home. If they are reluctant to leave, then pull their scholarship.I don't know if that would adversely effect grade point average or not, but whoever comes in must make some hard decisions and clean house or he is just setting himself up for failure.

This is well put. This is going to be a major overhaul for the next head coach. There's a lot of guys who do not belong on a FBS football field whatsoever and there are way too many walk-ons.

It definitely starts at QB, and I do believe that either candidate is capable of identifying and signing multiple QB's. Todd Monken brought in Nick Mullens in his first year and has built a nice program at Southern Miss after they were completely in the dumps. Littrell or Meachum should be able to accomplish similar tasks.

This is well put. This is going to be a major overhaul for the next head coach. There's a lot of guys who do not belong on a FBS football field whatsoever and there are way too many walk-ons.

It definitely starts at QB, and I do believe that either candidate is capable of identifying and signing multiple QB's. Todd Monken brought in Nick Mullens in his first year and has built a nice program at Southern Miss after they were completely in the dumps. Littrell or Meachum should be able to accomplish similar tasks.

We play in CUSA. Southern Miss was 0-12 two years ago and are 9-3 and playing for the conference championship on Saturday.

Find a QB. They did.

• Upvote 4

Trevor Moore lost a step from his freshman season, but that is how it seems to go with a lot of kickers. I remember Nick Folk's first year with the Cowboys in a year that was highlighted by his 50 yarder (TWICE) to beat Buffalo. Then two years later he misses 10 field goals in a season and the team releases him.

Meanwhile, I'm really excited to see Jeffrey Wilson thrive over the next two years.

Nick Folk was injured which was a big part of the problem.  But you're right that kickers can be very flaky. 

You have to have qb to be successful look at the top teams in CUSA and they all have a qb who can pass.

It's THE most important priority for this team. I would like to see us bring in one highly ranked JUCO and two HS who are at least 3 stars. Tell them the job is open for the taking, because it is. 

And have some tough conversations with some QBs still on the roster.

• Upvote 1