beside recruiting, hiring good ole boys was mac's biggest shortcoming.

Mac hired too many people with the understanding that they wouldn't have to go on the road and recruit.  That is why so many HS coaches report never hearing from us, and why our recruiting was so bad.  

Everyone loves Skladany but I've been told by many sources that he had zero interest in recruiting.  That may have flown in the past but now, with staff size restrictions and the hyper competitive nature of recruiting, everyone should be out recruiting every spare second they have.

There are still coaches on this staff who have almost no interest in recruiting and it shows on the field.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Mac hired too many people with the understanding that they wouldn't have to go on the road and recruit.  That is why so many HS coaches report never hearing from us, and why our recruiting was so bad.  

Everyone loves Skladany but I've been told by many sources that he had zero interest in recruiting.  That may have flown in the past but now, with staff size restrictions and the hyper competitive nature of recruiting, everyone should be out recruiting every spare second they have.

There are still coaches on this staff who have almost no interest in recruiting and it shows on the field.  

This is true.  And it should have never happened as it should have been clearly explained by the $300k a year "professional" running the Coal Mine on Bonnie Brea to McCarney what his expectations were in regards to recruiting, among other things.  

Rick 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Stahhhppppp! The O-line was great in 2013 and it wasn't because of D Thompson. According to cfbstats.com (http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category20/sort01.html) they were number 1 in least sacks allowed in 2012 and number 6 in 2013. We had big, seasoned O-linemen with chemistry. D Thompson was good by UNT standards but he wasn't some elite world class QB. I watched almost all of his games from the day I set foot at UNT and he missed a lot of short passes or put our guys in bad positions to catch passes (high throws leaving guys open to get leveled) even in 2013. Don't attribute the success of our O-line solely to Thompson. It's a mutual relationship between QB, O-Line and RB and I believe the O-Line is actually what made Thompson and our RBs what they were back in 2013. Put that O-Line with who we have now and we are running for 250+ yards per game as a team.

We overhype DT so much on this board that people have to spend so much time bringing him back to earth and they get bashed for hating on the guy. i can't foresee a time when this will ever not be the case. 

Cosh has a lot of excuses and not a whole lot of really good defensive games. That defensive line gets gashed and blown 3-4 yards off the line every time in the run game. It makes everyone (LBs and DBs) look awful. McClain being the leading tackler says a lot. And a lot of what it says is that he's making tackles 5-6 yards down field. Who is the second leading tackler? Oh the *other* safety James Gray. 20 tackles behind them is our MLB Anthony Wallace. 

Derp. 

• Upvote 4

How in God's name did he get away with that? Or better still, who let him get away with that?  Ok, if a head coach doesn't like getting on the road, and with only one good eye who could blame Mac, but forGodsakes couldn't someone sit down with Mac (and others) and teach him/them how to Skype? Surely all the HS coaches out there have the ability to Skype on their computers. 

From what I recall, Deloach wasn't big on recruiting either but they both called good defense which is what you want out of your DC. Let they young, hungry(Justin Gaines-type) position coaches do the bulk of the recruiting. I don't care if we get a DC with the recruiting ability of Ed Orgeron, if he can't call a good defense, he is worthless.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Downvote 1

Two things about this blow my mind:

1)  When I moved to Texas, it took me TWO YEARS to start making significant sales.  That wasn't because I was a crappy salesman (I tripled the territory over three years).  It was because relationships are culturally waaaay more important in Texas than from whence I came.  It took me those two years for people to get comfortable with me and trust me.  I'm beginning to better understand the whole "Must have Texas" ties thing, because it is glaringly obvious to me that Mac simply do not get this.

2)  Given the realities of item #1, and the realities of 32 walk-ons on an 85-scholarship roster, who the hell in their right mind would think that not getting on the rode and sucking up to every freaking high school coach withing a 500 mile radius every freaking waking minute of every freaking day would be a good idea?  This is Glen-Gary Glen-Ross stuff here.  ABC.  Always be closing.  No steak knives, kid.  Go get us a Cadillac! 

I admittedly don't know how recruiting works logistically.  I don't know if there are restrictions on taking coaches to dinner or restrictions on the number of times you can set foot on a high school campus or number of times you can speak to a coaching staff.  I would, however, expect an FBS level coach to understand these rules and exploit them to their fullest.  And furthermore, I'll tell you what, I may not understand the rules today, but if it were such a fundamental piece of my success, you can damn sure skippy bet I'd learn, and I'd learn real fast.  I'd make myself a resource to these coaching staffs.  I'd make them depend on me.  That is what we need at UNT. 

oldguystudent gets it.

I seem to recall hearing that Deloach didn't do any recruiting either.  If so, maybe that's a significant reason for the decline of DDs teams?

• Upvote 1

Noah Joseph came to the fort bend/west houston area a lot.  The momentum that he built up seems gone now.  

Recruits say it all time time. I picked school x because they recruited me the hardest.  You have to show up and make your rounds.  Gotta visit the kids home and win over parents.  Gotta show up at the games. Kids love the attention.  Especially if you are a 3 star kid, but want that 4 or 5 star treatment.  They like getting pulled our of class and recruiters coming to their practices.  Phone calls after games...etc.

Do they ever practice tackling. I swear our tackling gets worse and worse each week. I just dont get it. I know every defensive player wants to absolutely decleat an offensive player and just comes in there with a shoulder but you have to use "Big Arms" and actually wrap up the guy and dont let go until the whistle blows.

You took the words right out of my mouth.  Wrapups were few and far between.  

A friend of mine was saying this about another Texas team..."tackling is NOT a personal foul."

• Upvote 2

1)  When I moved to Texas, it took me TWO YEARS to start making significant sales.  That wasn't because I was a crappy salesman (I tripled the territory over three years).  It was because relationships are culturally waaaay more important in Texas than from whence I came.  It took me those two years for people to get comfortable with me and trust me.  I'm beginning to better understand the whole "Must have Texas" ties thing, because it is glaringly obvious to me that Mac simply do not get this.

2)  Given the realities of item #1, and the realities of 32 walk-ons on an 85-scholarship roster, who the hell in their right mind would think that not getting on the rode and sucking up to every freaking high school coach withing a 500 mile radius every freaking waking minute of every freaking day would be a good idea?  This is Glen-Gary Glen-Ross stuff here.  ABC.  Always be closing.  No steak knives, kid.  Go get us a Cadillac! 

I admittedly don't know how recruiting works logistically.  I don't know if there are restrictions on taking coaches to dinner or restrictions on the number of times you can set foot on a high school campus or number of times you can speak to a coaching staff.  I would, however, expect an FBS level coach to understand these rules and exploit them to their fullest.  And furthermore, I'll tell you what, I may not understand the rules today, but if it were such a fundamental piece of my success, you can damn sure skippy bet I'd learn, and I'd learn real fast.  I'd make myself a resource to these coaching staffs.  I'd make them depend on me.  That is what we need at UNT. 

Good post.

The only person I saw from our coaching stuff recruiting was Tommy Perry from "Beyond the Green" Other than that really no one...

Damn good post.  It like sales is a numbers game.  You have to pound the pavement.  There is no other way.

You also have to be cognizant of the marketplace and make the necessary adjustments.  La. Tech has a trimester program which offers some flexibility and also has certain degrees which are sought after by the athletes.  Tulsa sells their smaller classroom size and teacher to student ratio.  Dan used to sell "world class academics" and I don't know if that type of general.  SMU used to not offer a coaching pathway and that hurt them with a lot of prospects.  I think they do offer that now.

Noah Joseph came to the fort bend/west houston area a lot.  The momentum that he built up seems gone now.  

Recruits say it all time time. I picked school x because they recruited me the hardest.  You have to show up and make your rounds.  Gotta visit the kids home and win over parents.  Gotta show up at the games. Kids love the attention.  Especially if you are a 3 star kid, but want that 4 or 5 star treatment.  They like getting pulled our of class and recruiters coming to their practices.  Phone calls after games...etc.

Everyone loves this. Hell I'm sure each of your wives / husbands liked being courted a bit. Just ask them.