Chico pre La. Tech Press Conference

Harry

if you have not seen UTKFC's head coach press conference look at it and watch this one.  i know i will get the hatred for being a chico fan but i promise you i have no say in the hire.  if they do hire him and he fails i will turn in my season tickets and never go to another game or post again

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He is a player coach, he is always coaching on the sidelines.  I think he would put together a good staff and i don't think he played favorites with his ass on the line.  most teams take on the personality of the head coach.  But it won't happen RV is trying to make a big hire to save his own butt.  If he made Chico the head coach many would be not be happy around here, i don't know if they will ever be happy.  You hire a big time coach who has 90 assistant coaches and bring him here where we have a lot less coaches will he be successful here?  Chico knows what he has and what he is facing.  Chico is the man.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

He is a player coach, he is always coaching on the sidelines.  I think he would put together a good staff and i don't think he played favorites with his ass on the line.  most teams take on the personality of the head coach.  But it won't happen RV is trying to make a big hire to save his own butt.  If he made Chico the head coach many would be not be happy around here, i don't know if they will ever be happy.  You hire a big time coach who has 90 assistant coaches and bring him here where we have a lot less coaches will he be successful here?  Chico knows what he has and what he is facing.  Chico is the man.

Put Canales's resume on paper and from another school and you wouldn't hire him as a QB coach, much less OC or head coach.

As OC his offenses have been bottom third in the NCAA. His QBs have been abysmal. Nobody praises either his recruiting or talent evaluation. Nobody. 

Nice guy? Fine, make him a greeter outside of Apogee. 

I'll be happy when we hire a real coach, with a real OC, who gets us a real quarterback. Like successful schools do. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Put Canales's resume on paper and from another school and you wouldn't hire him as a QB coach, much less OC or head coach.

As OC his offenses have been bottom third in the NCAA. His QBs have been abysmal. Nobody praises either his recruiting or talent evaluation. Nobody. 

Nice guy? Fine, make him a greeter outside of Apogee. 

I'll be happy when we hire a real coach, with a real OC, who gets us a real quarterback. Like successful schools do. 

Just so I understand your concept of "real", have we ever had a coach here that came close to your definition? What offense did they run and  what QB did they bring in and/or "develop"?

Just so I understand your concept of "real", have we ever had a coach here that came close to your definition? What offense did they run and  what QB did they bring in and/or "develop"?

By real I mean a head coach who handles all the responsibilities of being a head coach. If he's a defensive or offensive minded guy who helps in those areas, I'm fine with that but the coordinators need to be handling the main part of play calling/game planning. By real quarterback I mean a difference maker, not a bus driver.

I'm tired of the whole "he's the coordinator but not really the coordinator" thing we've had. 

And no, in the last twenty years we haven't had all three at the same time. Under Dickey no one really believed Flanigan had any responsibility and I loved Hall but he wasn't a difference maker at quarterback. Who knows what the situation was under Mac. 

I like Canales.  I was among those that chanted at Fouts, "We want Chico."  And I'll be the first to admit that I know Canales but only in the way that others here know Canales.  I doubt he could call me by name if asked. 

I can't get past admiring his passion and his energy.  Maybe every coach considering the NT coaching job has the same energy and passion.  I think he could be had for less money than others.  But I don't think this is a money thing for Canales.  I feel he genuinely wants to be here.  I'm told he's a player's coach and I like the way he handles himself at the Coach's Show. 

Fire away.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

I like Canales.  I was among those that chanted at Fouts, "We want Chico."  And I'll be the first to admit that I know Canales but only in the way that others here know Canales.  I doubt he could call me by name if asked. 

I can't get past admiring his passion and his energy.  Maybe every coach considering the NT coaching job has the same energy and passion.  I think he could be had for less money than others.  But I don't think this is a money thing for Canales.  I feel he genuinely wants to be here.  I'm told he's a player's coach and I like the way he handles himself at the Coach's Show. 

Fire away.

GO MEAN GREEN

I won't fire at you at all. I see the same things in Canales as you do. How can someone be that positive and energetic when they've been given a double dose of "the North Texas treatment". I haven't seen that kind of positiveness and energy from a coach since (Ok everyone younger than 45-50 get ready to roll your eyes) Hayden Fry. And even Hayden didn't have that much energy. To paraphrase what that lady in "Sleepless in Seattle" said....I'll have what he's having.

Every time he has been in charge he's made an immediate impact. I assume that his critics assume that it will be just temporary and the team will go into a permanent funk if he's made the head coach? You can argue that his opponents will quickly catch up to his approach to offense (gadget plays etc) and all his energy will be for naught. I again refer you to the great Hayden Fry who when he came here said that he would do whatever was necessary on offense, even run the statue of liberty...., did just that. After getting everyone's attention, including recruits, he settled down into a pro-style offense. And he had no problem getting QB's to come here.

I say give Canales a shot for three years.

• Upvote 2

I fully supported the hiring of Canales back in 2010.  But, there has been a lot of water under the bridge since then.  A lot.  And, much of it undrinkable.

What can you say about results?  He took one guy, Derek Thompson and - eventually - made him a pretty good quarterback?   Or, do you look at the myriad of other names and faces who have been QBs here - both recruited by and not recruited by McCarney/Canales - who were never even serviceable?

I mean, over the past two seasons, if we could have just gotten Sophomore/Junior Thompson-like performances out of any QB on the roster - 57% completion percentage and plus yardage in rushing overall - you might could say there had been some success here under Canales.

But, for all of the talk of Phillip Rivers and Derek Thompson, there have been many here who never came close to panning out.  And, the offenses have continually been a question mark.  And, that's his responsibility.

Is Canales passionate and loyal.  Absolutely.  Is he is positive influence on the team?  Yes.  But, I think that given the academic success of the squad, and lack of players on the police blotter, you can say that McCarney ran a clean program that Canales was a part of.

But, what we want is something higher up the line.  Maybe the next coach comes in here and keeps Canales as a Co-offensive coordinator/QB coach.  Maybe.   It will be hard for a young guy, unless he has friends in the business he's in regular contact with, to not be impressed with Canales personally.  

So, I think we need a new head coach.  I think we need someone else sculpting the offense.  The question is, then, how loyal is Chico in the end?  If he's offered to stay on as Co-offensive coordinator, head coach calling the shots or splitting with another guy?  What if it's just quarterback coach or just wide receiver coach with no coordinator duties at all?   

Guys, he's been here, recruiting and coaching for six year, and we can see the product on the field.  No one here hates the guy.  But, this is, at the end of the day, a results-driven career field. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1