Mark Mangino Meeting with UNT?

Ryan Munthe

I don't see a reason for all the opposition. The guy is available today and he has a career winning record(Mac didn't have that). He is a Broyles award winner and won many coach of the year awards for his 12-1 Orange Bowl winning season at FREAKING KANSAS!!

Also, the below....I've underlined and bolded the important points. He is not anything like McCarney when it comes to offense.

Following the win against the Iowa State Cyclones, Mark Mangino became the first KU football coach with a winning career record since Jack Mitchell in 1966. While at Kansas, Mangino led the Jayhawks to 19 consecutive weeks ranked in the AP and/or USA Today polls (2007–08), 20 wins in a 2-year period for the first time in school history, set home attendance average records in each of the last 4 seasons (2004–2008), led KU to its first appearance in national polls since 1996 and to the school’s highest ranking ever at #2, produced the top 3 total offense seasons in school history, the top two passing seasons and two of the top three scoring seasons and won three Bowl games—the same number they had won in their 102-year history combined prior to his arrival.

With 50 victories, Mangino has the second-most victories in Kansas coaching history.

When he was at KU, the secretaries and athletic office employees got treated like dirt by him, apparently. It all came out when KU fell apart in 2009, when he lost the team. Reesing was the heart of that team, for sure. But he got hurt in 2009 and tried playing with the pain, but it got to be too much. Mangino's losing season finally caught up to him--it was kind of like it did with Leach and Leavitt, but worse...in that they team actually lost their last 6 or 7 games that year, when they started off ranked in the top 15, IIRC.

Paul Rhoads is doing everything he can right now to save his own neck.  

The ISU offense under Mangino is ranked 59th in the nation by ESPN.  That puts them ahead of Florida St (60), Marshall (64), West Virginia (67),Texas A&M (69), and UNT (111).  If there is any truth to the DFW sports wire tweet that he is our #1 targert then you need to also acknowledge that they say he was let go because Rhoads didn't  want him interviewing for our job. 

He wouldn't be my #1 choice for a coach, but all I'm saying is we could do way worse.  What retread would you rather have?     

this

• Upvote 2

Not crazy about Mangino.  But...

...he did do a hell of a job at Kansas, taking them to a BCS bowl and beating Virginia Tech there.  His star player at Kansas was Aqib Talib from Richardson Berkner.  Talib is still starring in the NFL with with Denver Broncos.

Eight seasons at Kansas, four bowl, three bowl wins, one Top 10 finish in the polls.  50-48 record overall at KU.  One of only two coaches to win 50 or more games as Jayhawk head coach.  First Jayhawk coach to finish career above .500 since Jules V. Sikes, 1948-1953...yeah, KU has seen many, many bad football seasons.

Recruited Texas and the region for K-State, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa State.  Coached many players from those schools to the NFL.  Can't really argue with the results.  However...

...Mangino won't play well to lazy players, though.  So, that would be a problem here.  We have fans that defend the lazy.  The thing that got Mangino in trouble at KU was that, he'd make it personal:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4669621

But...some people here claim they could have stomached Jim Leavitt's act.  If you can stomach Leavitt punching a kid in the mouth, you could probably deal with Mangino cussing kids and telling them they'd be back in the ghetto with their homies if they don't work harder.  Comes as no surprise that Leavitt and Mangino coached together at K-State, eh?  (Mangino at K-State, 1991-1998; Leavitt, 1990-1995)

One thing's for sure if we get Mangino - he won't brook QBs who don't watch game film coming into his office and screaming at him about playing time.

Mangino was the first football coach at KU that seemed to use the basketball program to his benefit with recruiting. He and Self got along great. Mangino never seemed to mind being second fiddle at Kansas. But that said, he would be a terrible fit here...just awful.

We need a fresh-faced name, a guy who kids can relate to, a coach who can recruit kids to an exciting gameplan...sadly, kids know that Mark Mangino is known for one thing, predominantly, and that is being a super fatass. They've seen the pictures and heard the jokes about how our coach can eat you coach.

North Texas has enough problems as it is--creating another PR joke won't help.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Paul Rhoads is doing everything he can right now to save his own neck.  

The ISU offense under Mangino is ranked 59th in the nation by ESPN.  That puts them ahead of Florida St (60), Marshall (64), West Virginia (67),Texas A&M (69), and UNT (111).  If there is any truth to the DFW sports wire tweet that he is our #1 targert then you need to also acknowledge that they say he was let go because Rhoads didn't  want him interviewing for our job. 

He wouldn't be my #1 choice for a coach, but all I'm saying is we could do way worse.  What retread would you rather have?     

I think there are a lot better that can equally represent better...

Houston Nutt

Mario Cristobal

Hell, I would be more excited about Al Golden

And Chip Kelly once he is fired from the Eagles.

And if we are going to point out OC's that are doing well for our HC position, lets not pick someone who is literally middle of the road.  We have schools in our own back yard doing far far better. 

But, i would really like a successful FCS HC to come in beyond anything else.

Mangino was the first football coach at KU that seemed to use the basketball program to his benefit with recruiting. He and Self got along great. Mangino never seemed to mind being second fiddle at Kansas. But that said, he would be a terrible fit here...just awful.

We need a fresh-faced name, a guy who kids can relate to, a coach who can recruit kids to an exciting gameplan...sadly, kids know that Mark Mangino is known for one thing, predominantly, and that is being a super fatass. They've seen the pictures and heard the jokes about how our coach can eat you coach.

North Texas has enough problems as it is--creating another PR joke won't help.

This is really the only trepidation I would have.  But if the wins start rolling in like they did at Kansas, then that crap moves to the background.

• Upvote 1

Ok, folks, this is serious. I don't care about a guy's waistline if he is a good coach. That said, my brother was on the faculty at KU and a member of the athletic board; and, although the exact reasons for Mangino's firing were not made public, I did hear from my brother that they were serious. I was told he had to go.

Edited by Ibleedgreen
  • Upvote 2

I think there are a lot better that can equally represent better...

Houston Nutt

Mario Cristobal

Hell, I would be more excited about Al Golden

And Chip Kelly once he is fired from the Eagles.

And if we are going to point out OC's that are doing well for our HC position, lets not pick someone who is literally middle of the road.  We have schools in our own back yard doing far far better. 

But, i would really like a successful FCS HC to come in beyond anything else.

Give me someone that's been successful at the FCS level in recent years over someone that's a retread and with success that's years old and comes with staff problems.

• Upvote 1

Another thing about Mangino, he finally got successful at KU when a certain wizard coach retired at Kansas State for about three years--a stretch of 2006 thru 2008. KU took advantage of KSU falling off the map, Nebraska dropping way down, and Colorado becoming a meh program. And you have to give Mangino and KU credit for that. But as soon as Snyder showed back up in Manhattan, KU's history of suckitude QUICKLY came back to them.

• Upvote 3

He's also the offensive version of McCarney

Really?  Josh Heupel set some passing record at OU while Mangion was the OC.  Todd Reesing climbed the Big 12 career passing charts with Mangino at KU.  Reesing was a Lake Travis guy. 

Todd Reesing's stats at KU under Mangino...doesn't look McCarney-like to me:  11,194 career passing yards, 6th in Big 12 history; 90 touchdown passes, 6th in Big 12 history; 63.8% completion percentage, 12th in Big 12 history. 

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/todd-reesing-1.html

So, tap the breaks on Mangino offensive = McCarney offense.  That's just silly talk.  It's enough just to say you would prefer that we not hire Mangino without lying about him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hate to get on a bandwagon, but this guy is exactly what we don't need here. He's an old school a-hole type coach. I don't care what he did at Kansas. He's not the type of coach this program needs.  Plus, he's 200 pounds overweight.  That's a serious health risk, whether that's PC or not. 

Rumor I read is that he talked to us without talking to Rhoads first and it pissed Rhodes off.

That's not saying much. If we are going to get a retread, it needs to be someone who has done far more than Mangino... who couldn't even hold a job at ISU.

People on here like to talk about ADs other than RV doing more with less. Who has done more with less as a HFC than Mangino?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I hate to get on a bandwagon, but this guy is exactly what we don't need here. He's an old school a-hole type coach. I don't care what he did at Kansas. He's not the type of coach this program needs.  Plus, he's 200 pounds overweight.  That's a serious health risk, whether that's PC or not. 

If nothing else, Mac was willing, if not able, to do what he asked of his players - guy was always running around the complex or running stairs when he was here.

ku_fbc_isu_ka_12_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a4

Todd Reesing, his Lake Travis HS diploma, and his 11,194 career passing yards disagree.

His top receiver then was Desmond Briscoe, from Cedar Hill, IIRC...and we all know that Aqib Talib was their best overall player and he came from Richardson.

He just isn't who we need right now, though. We need someone that will make recruits, HS coaches, fans and media take us seriously. This would be the last hire that would be taken seriously...and that's before his interactions with the public go south, which will happen with this guy.

Its just a bad fit...a really, really bad fit, IMHO.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

sounds like a knee jerk, get it over quick hire if true == RV is to damn lazy to look around, Mangino is a good coach, but he should not be anywhere near the top of the list

This. This is a classic RV over-reaction candidate and a second Dan McCarney. 

Plus NCAA sanctions. 

Oh happy day.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Another thing about Mangino, he finally got successful at KU when a certain wizard coach retired at Kansas State for about three years--a stretch of 2006 thru 2008. KU took advantage of KSU falling off the map, Nebraska dropping way down, and Colorado becoming a meh program. And you have to give Mangino and KU credit for that. But as soon as Snyder showed back up in Manhattan, KU's history of suckitude QUICKLY came back to them.

Well, Mangino wasn't there when "KU's history of suckitude came back to them," so I don't know that you've actually found a cause/effect relationship.  Mangino's Jayhawks finished ahead of Snyder's Wildcats the last season before Snyder's "retirement."

And Mangino's recruiting was more out of Texas than anywhere else.  So it wasn't as if he was the only, or even primary, coach he was recruiting against.

If nothing else, Mac was willing, if not able, to do what he asked of his players - guy was always running around the complex or running stairs when he was here.

I'm sure Mangino would be willing to eat a box of donuts or a fried chicken for every lap the players run.

• Upvote 7

KU's 2007 Orange Bowl Championship Roster had 27 players from Texas...and all over Texas, 17 different cities:
http://www2.kusports.com/football/roster/2007/
Richardson
San Antonio (2)
Austin
Houston (5)
Garland (2)
DeSoto
Katy
Dallas (5)
Cleburne
Jacksonville
Rowlett
Mesquite
Los Fresnos
Arlington
College Station
Sugar Land
Beaumont

So, are we really going to go down the road of Mangino not being able to recruit Texas?

Come on, guys.  If you don't like Mangino, just say so.  Don't lie about what he was able to do on the field and recruiting though.  History is sorely against you on both counts.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

People on here like to talk about ADs other than RV doing more with less. Who has done more with less as a HFC than Mangino?

Mac at ISU? 

Dennis Erickson at Idaho? (the first time)

There are others I am sure... but too lazy to research.  Mangino had one great year and ultimately had 3 winning seasons out of 8.  If he showed more consistency, maybe I would feel good about him. But, he had one stellar year and without it, he doesn't show for much.   

We already had a guy that put up one strong year and didn't do much else.