DRC column: Here's an outside-the-box coach candidate -- me

Brett Vito

Wow, then you don't have much of a sense of humor. And as I've said for years (actually decades) you can't be a North Texas fan without one.

I thought it was pretty funny. And I suspect that if you read between the lines, you might find some interesting info.

Pretty brave too. This is the kind of op-ed that will cause lots of people to laugh and a certain number to get pretty steamed.

Good job BV!

It was pretty much a backhand to the athletic administration. Geez people

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I thought it was pretty funny. And I suspect that if you read between the lines, you might find some interesting info.

I suspect you're right.

Case would have a loyal customer if he ended up on the search committee and backed me. Same with lawyer and UNT booster Ernie Kuehne and Brint Ryan, president of the UNT Board of Regents. If former UNT running back Patrick Cobbs ends up on the committee and pushes the right buttons, well, let’s just say he would look good in green again as he starts his career as a college assistant coach after a good stint on the staff at Ryan.

I’d come cheap. A base salary of $75,000 and some free barbecue from UNT booster Dave Anderson would do.

Would love to see Cobbs here on the new staff.  Brett missed Byron Gross.   I wonder if Dr. Smatresk and the AD have read this yet?

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 2

I am sorry people without a sense of humor or common sense.  This article is absolutely sarcastically on point. The nerve of this program not beating down the doors of local media outlets to give them access it ridiculous (that includes parking passes).  it shows that the athletic department does not have freaking clue.  People think RV is failing as Athletic Director couldn't be more wrong.  He is the perfect double agent for TCU.  Don't believe me, if he has ties to TCU and a game against UNT is an easy win, why haven't we been on their schedule at least once during his tenure?

"They have to play a couple of money games every year, but you don't want to play four or five," Dykes said of the "guarantee" games UNT plays against teams such as Texas or Oklahoma. "You have to find out how much control you have over the schedule. From the outside, it might be a pretty good opportunity for somebody."

Dykes said he has "heard talk" about UNT wanting to ramp up its commitment to football, in addition to the recent construction of the school's $8 million athletic complex/dormitories and practice fields.

"The worst things is to go somewhere and have no opportunity to win," Dykes said, speaking in generalities. "That doesn't get you anywhere. You want to make sure you have a chance to put a stamp on the program."  

--Sonny Dykes in 2006 (Now Coach at University of California)

My question to my fellow delusional fans and alumni (not buddy-buddy with RV) what the hell has change since then except the opening of Apogee Stadium and CUSA?  Between the lines in 2006 Sonny was talking about the 17 back then and how Darrell Dickey got ran off.  We should be leading an open revolt against this athletic department and the 17.  I think it is clear that we aren't going to get a quality coach to come here with the power structure in place now.  Just like the Dallas Cowboys under Jerry Jones as a meddling undermining GM for most of his tenure after Jimmy Johnson.  Get a grip UNT Alumni and revolt and stop attacking the messenger.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well he did come by and eat free barbecue on Thursday.  It did look like he had walked a long, long way.  He was a little haggard and disheveled, like he was looking for something else and just happened to stumble on our camp.  We set him down next to C. Dan, put a plate of meat in front of him, and he proceeded to eat like he hadn't had a meal in days.  We didn't ask any questions, we just allowed him to eat and go along his way.  He wandered off in a sea of band members and cheerleaders, gone as fast and as mysteriously as he had appeared.

Ironically I remember asking myself "I wonder where he parked?"

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

Brett gave a great history of this program.   Who has owned it?   RV, BOR and past Presidents.

So now to the next phase of UNT football. 

Last time it was a search committee but do not recall in the press their recommendation before or after the hire.  Only the splash of Mac in press. 

The real question in my mind is who will make the ultimate decision on the next HC? Will history repeat itself -- we hire a HC makes a great splash-- does well with existing students/players gets to a decent record with a bowl game then the wheels come off again? 

Time will tell!!

• Upvote 1

RV will claim the hire as his if successful, and blame the hire on the search committee if not successful.

He has already blamed one hire on the search committee since Portland St.

Its what he does, folks. 

If RV is still here, a search committee is the worst possible idea.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

RV will claim the hire as his if successful, and blame the hire on the search committee if not successful.

He has already blamed one hire on the search committee since Portland St.

Its what he does, folks. 

If RV is still here, a search committee is the worst possible idea.

The fact that you have to have a search committee with an AD that's been here as long as RV (14 years) means that you should remove the AD.

AND THEN ask the new AD if he needs the assistance/recommendations from a search committee.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

"I wouldn’t ask them to talk to me on the sideline. I’d probably go hang out with all the high-dollar donors in the Apogee Stadium luxury suites and club level, where all the big decisions are made anyway."

Truer words have never been spoken.

now way I can support BV for coach. But athletic director...

• Upvote 1

Well he did come by and eat free barbecue on Thursday.  It did look like he had walked a long, long way.  He was a little haggard and disheveled, like he was looking for something else and just happened to stumble on our camp.  We set him down next to C. Dan, put a plate of meat in front of him, and he proceeded to eat like he hadn't had a meal in days.  We didn't ask any questions, we just allowed him to eat and go along his way.  He wandered off in a sea of band members and cheerleaders, gone as fast and as mysteriously as he had appeared.

Ironically I remember asking myself "I wonder where he parked?"

If he can't even figure out how to fill out an expense report, he has no shot at head coach. Or does he?

And from the article, it seemed like he was asking for a raise.