What about a former UNT alumnus - Clay Jennings

Harry

Factually inaccurate statements like these make my skin crawl:

the school’s first NCAA FBS squad in 1995.

Didn't Todd Dodge hire Clay Jennings to his staff, but Jennings bolted right away when TCU offered him a job?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

EDIT: I looked it up--that is correct.  Here are past threads dealing with that timeframe:

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I would love to see him come back for his first DC job on his home turf, but that would obviously be up to whoever the new coach turns out to be. It would be absolutely great to have a guy here with loyalty who could possibly move up to HC after a few short seasons.

Something like that is exactly what we need. Bring in Mack if he agrees to the Jennings hire? Slightly joking, but it would still be interesting.

• Upvote 1

I am just asking, but what level of interest do you think the head coaching position at North Texas will generate? I am thinking lukewarm.

People need to understand that there are only 128 of these jobs in America. If the candidate doesn't have an offer from around 110 other programs, they would kill to have this job (yes, I rank this about the 111th best coaching gig in FBS). 

The only thing limiting interest will be the AD for which the candidates will have to work.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I played with Clay and he was a GA my last couple of years. Clay is sharp, intense, hard working, young, knowledgeable, and a good honest man.

I say honest because the kids see through bullshit. They saw straight through the facade of the last coach and it shows. Mac cried about the size and quality of his players to the media and never shut up about where he came from instead of doing well where he was. If I could spot that as a casual observer then the players were furious. I know I would be.

As for Clay, I'd say judging from his career path he's found a niche as a position coach and is doing pretty damn well at it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not trying to be a head coach. The best coaches are position coaches that are hired by a head coach who can judge their talent as coaches.

We just need to find that head coach who can put together a coaching staff and players. This is where RV continues to be a failure.