Favorite place on campus...

Most of my time on campus was spent in Wooten Hall, that windowless wonder, or at the Environmental Science Building since I was a History major/Geography minor. But the best part of being on campus,  and in college for that matter,  was watching all the scattered ass walking around campus. I had a long walk between Wooten and the EESAT, but it was usually pretty scenic!

• Upvote 4

Studying hours at a time in the catacombs of the library inside the Information Science Building (east of and across the plaza from the biology/chemistry buildings).  You could easily get lost in the maze of bookshelves.  It was an awesome place to cram for upcoming exams.  The Mean Green Inn was pretty cool back in the mid to late 70s.  Remember The Porch in the Fry Street area?  Lots of great memories all over campus and beyond.   

• Upvote 1

My favorite place on campus was the area around the 1924 equestrian sculpture of artist Diego Velazquez by Constance Whitney Warren. The sculpture is located by the General Academic Building, and has wonderful shady trees and benches around it. It was a great place to enjoy a Cool Beans Burger and study between art classes.

• Upvote 2

Favorite place at UNT was the front of the Language Arts building, probably because of all the time spent around there before and after classes.  Plus, the proximity to Rick's,The Flying Tomato, Riprocks, etc. was second to none.  Get out of class, hit the giant porch areas and stairs in the front of the Language Arts building, recruit friends and strangers to go for a pitcher. 

As far as favorite "get away" place in Denton, I'd often to read/study at McKenna Park instead of the library. 

Language Arts building. I was a bartender on Fry Street. Rick's and later the Tavern. Back then there wasn't a single facility to talk to a man about a horse. Many a shift I made the sprint to the LA building and its clean porcelain goodness. I loved my time at UNT. Probably why I stretched a 4 year degree to 6 years....

This has been a good thread. It is the first time since the SMU game where I smiled while reading the posts. I am sorry I wont' be in town for Homecoming. Regardless of how the team plays, it is always a special time in Denton. Sure the older alumni have moved on from Fry Street to the Square but the vibe is the same. Just like Toby Kieth said, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I am good once as I ever was." That could be the motto for all of alumni stumbling around town fondly remembering our past glories. We may have fallen on hard times again with our team. But they are OUR team. Cheer them up for me and raise a toast in their honor. Perhaps they will surprise us. We know better than most how good it feels when we win. It doesn't happen often so we cherish it!

Go Mean Green! Beat Portland State!!!!

• Upvote 4

Not so much a place as an experience... My favorite experience as an undergrad was when my friend and I (same major, same classes) would finish up our major papers and research in Willis and walk through the campus at 2:00am back to our cars..  We always felt like a huge weight was lifted off our shoulders after completing our projects.  That was when I was able to take in the campus and I loved walking through it at night. 

Your story reminds me of my experience.  Back in about 87, I lived in a crappy furnished apartment, walking distance to Campus on the North side. Think it was January right after classes resumed after the holidays.  We got a huge snowfall one night and UNT declared early that classes were cancelled the following day.  My room mate and I watched the heavy snow for hours and decided to call a buddy that lived in Kerr. It was about 1 am and we told him we were gonna WALK over there, the far SOUTH end of campus.  We were cussing the idea halfway there because it took forever to trudge that distance in the snow, in the middle of the night.   But campus, that late was already quiet, and you know how snow will absorb even more sound? It was an absolutely silent journey and all the buildings had a blanket of white powder and shadows of snowflakes from falling in front of the streetlights.  Never saw another sole except for us.  Felt like we owned the school that night.  That's the image I always comes to mind when recall UNT 

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 4

Language Arts building. I was a bartender on Fry Street. Rick's and later the Tavern. Back then there wasn't a single facility to talk to a man about a horse. Many a shift I made the sprint to the LA building and its clean porcelain goodness. I loved my time at UNT. Probably why I stretched a 4 year degree to 6 years....

This has been a good thread. It is the first time since the SMU game where I smiled while reading the posts. I am sorry I wont' be in town for Homecoming. Regardless of how the team plays, it is always a special time in Denton. Sure the older alumni have moved on from Fry Street to the Square but the vibe is the same. Just like Toby Kieth said, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I am good once as I ever was." That could be the motto for all of alumni stumbling around town fondly remembering our past glories. We may have fallen on hard times again with our team. But they are OUR team. Cheer them up for me and raise a toast in their honor. Perhaps they will surprise us. We know better than most how good it feels when we win. It doesn't happen often so we cherish it!

Go Mean Green! Beat Portland State!!!!

When I workd at Lous and Cool Beans it was the same. If you had to go, the Language Building and GAB were the place to go. 

• Upvote 1

@oldguystudent Cool Beans did indeed have amazing burgers.

When I was picking up shifts there two years ago they got rid of the Cool Beans burger. People lost their shit. Especially, older people like me. So many people would come in town and want one, and I would have to let them down. It was a sad time. I hope they brought it back. Just not the same. 

• Upvote 1

When I was picking up shifts there two years ago they got rid of the Cool Beans burger. People lost their shit. Especially, older people like me. So many people would come in town and want one, and I would have to let them down. It was a sad time. I hope they brought it back. Just not the same. 

I can't find a complete updated menu, but they appear to be serving burgers with Hypnotic Donuts in lieu of buns.  Not sure how I feel about that.

• Upvote 1

Drunk-Uncle-459x330.png

It was so unique back then.  These kids now...it's all the franchises there at Hickory and Fry/Ave A...Jimmy John's, Chipotle, Potbelly.  Kind of sad for the kids these days.  But, hell...they probably wouldn't appreciate it anyway these days.  The young one are very "selfie image" conscience these days it seems.  No group on earth has ever been more marketed to and given packaged experiences than these poor Millennials. 

Many of us are old and have seen decades worth of football - pro, college, high school.  Many of us also played.  It doesn't take long to figure out whether a kid knows what he is doing or not. 

Again, other that the shade of their skin, there is no difference between McNulty and Smith 

You guys and your mythical "more athletic quarterback" angle...string together a decent series or two against FBS-level competition with all of your superior "athletic" ability, please.  For f*ck sake, it would take Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady a week to run a 40 yard dash.  You think anyone gave a sh*t about that when they were in college?  Hell, no, because they could play quarterback. 

Ridiculous.  Some of you need to trade in your football tickets for track and field tickets.  Sheesh. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1.) Give me the West Hall Cafeteria... I think I spent about 4 hours a day in their my freshman year... each meal was at least 1.5 hours long due to everyone sticking around when a new group of friends showed up... that was a fantastic time of my life

2.) The Rec... years of struggle paid off my senior year when we finally won those coveted black shirts

3.) Fouts... the memories that made me a Mean Green fan all lead back to here... that 7 OT game will be burned into my memory... specifically how I was ready to go home until a friend convinced me that I should stay, because he had a feeling we were going to win after we had fallen behind 13-5 at the end of the third...

• Upvote 3

13538-oldguystudent

I know not of this sarcasm you speak. My avatar is of the only school that matters.

Symptomatic of Stockholm Syndrome.  You should talk to someone about that.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

@oldguystudent Cool Beans did indeed have amazing burgers.

Can confirm they still do. Bud's running a great kitchen right now and they definitely still have the Cool Bean's Burger as well as the green chile one.

Dont know about that Hypnotic Donuts as a bun iteration; may have been a one-off.

• Upvote 1

Can confirm they still do. Bud's running a great kitchen right now and they definitely still have the Cool Bean's Burger as well as the green chile one.

Dont know about that Hypnotic Donuts as a bun iteration; may have been a one-off.

Glad to hear they brought it back. It was weird telling people we did not have it. Bud is doing a good job.