MGB: McCarney press conference notes

Brett Vito

So Andy is slated to start and there are no set plans to play DaMarcus this week.  Looks like USM = UAB from last year...

is it fair that Andy gets all of the snaps against an FCS opponent at home?  Can we not give another QB some snaps if only for evaluation purposes? 

generally, backups get snaps during a blowout...guess dmac doesn't think we will be blowing out portland state...

I get that but could he of least said, "hey Andy is the starter for PSU but we will look for opportunities to get him (DaMarcus) in the game depending on the situation" or something like that?

So Andy is slated to start and there are no set plans to play DaMarcus this week.  Looks like USM = UAB from last year...

is it fair that Andy gets all of the snaps against an FCS opponent at home?  Can we not give another QB some snaps if only for evaluation purposes? 

No because the harsh reality of the situation is that our current HC doesnt care about the future. He has set us up to watch more failures in the future. He has proven that he has no clue throughout his entire career when it comes to QBs. The current game of college football has passed him by. He just throwing more dirt on the program himself. Its not the media, not the fans, not the players, its all on him. It was all on him last year and it still is.

Homecoming a time we should be proud of our university. Instead we are in shame. Instead we are in a dumpster fire race with UT.

• Upvote 4

I get that but could he of least said, "hey Andy is the starter for PSU but we will look for opportunities to get him (DaMarcus) in the game depending on the situation" or something like that?

I think it is more he wants lil Mac to have a great game of 200 yds passing 1 TD and 1 INT so he can say look he had a solid game with my basic gameplan versus what he did to Smith throwing out a more complex game plan. Pathetic!!!

• Upvote 2

(1) What more is there to "evaluate" with any of these QBs?  Greer and Smith can't complete passes.  McNulty can do it at about a 50% clip.  The rest have got to be horrid to be behind those three.

It's just bad situation all the way around.

Bingo! McNulty is at 52% completions and Smith is at 27%. Unless there is a reason Smith looks a LOT better in practice, why not go with the guy who is about double the completion rate. Simply saying "our recruiting is the problem" will not fix the issue right now. 

Yes, it's a bad situation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Bingo! McNulty is at 52% completions and Smith is at 27%. Unless there is a reason Smith looks a LOT better in practice, why not go with the guy who is about double the completion rate. Simply saying "our recruiting is the problem" will not fix the issue right now. 

Yes, it's a bad situation. 

Do we really have an ample sample size for Smith? I still want to see more before passing judgement. 

• Upvote 5

A couple of things:

(1) What more is there to "evaluate" with any of these QBs?  Greer and Smith can't complete passes.  McNulty can do it at about a 50% clip.  The rest have got to be horrid to be behind those three.

(2) It's always a misnomer to me that a QB is said to have a great game when passing for 300+ yards in a losing cause.  When you get behind, you normally have to throw!  I didn't understand the pumping of McNulty a couple of games ago because of his 300+ yard game.  It means nothing if you are losing except that you spent most of the day playing catch up.

It's just bad situation all the way around.

I tend to agree, but I would like to see a commitment to Smith at QB in order to find out if he has anything with 1st team practice reps the rest of the season. He is the lone QB that the coaches are unsure about at this point.

Plus, it allows us to determine what needs to be done in "recruiting" going forward for next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mac plays McNulty because he plans to win this game on the ground with Wilson, and running end-arounds with Harris. McNulty will dump it off to the TEs from time to time, but he should mostly be a hand off machine.

Mac knows if we lose this game, he will lose what little support he still has within the fan base. I can't see Mac continuing the up tempo offense. We should try to control the clock with a run heavy offense and wear down PSU's defense. Our best defense will be keeping their offense off the field. Our running game is good enough to do that.

If Mac sticks to the up tempo offense, then we probably lose, and he will only have himself to blame.

I really hope fans BOO Mcnutly off the field. I tried outlast home game but only four or five guys around me started yelling at him. It's not Mcnutlys fault that he doesn't have talent, but there is no other way to get a message across. 

yes, there is.

You want to boo the offense? That's fine. Catcalling kids on your own team? No.

Come on, dude. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6

1. After watching the limited series that Smith has put in, it looks to me like Mac was telling the truth and that Mini does give us the best chance to win. Outside of one pass, nothing about D.Smith has impressed me so far. My gripe with Mini is that he is a redshirt senior that has a less than zero shot of being a pro quarterback but he plays as if he is trying to protect himself. This is the last season of his football playing life and he should be playing with reckless abandon. He should sacrifice his body to get a first down or a touchdown. I see some good things from Mini. He makes some good short-mid range throws, he is getting pretty good at escaping pressure when not facing a heavy blitz, and he doesn't try to force the ball into triple coverage like some others do. The things I don't like are his tendency to lock on to one receiver and a lack of heart. I don't mean heart like he doesn't care about this team but I mean in the sense of self-sacrifice, He is a captain, a redshirt senior, and the starting quarterback, he needs to show the others on this team that he is willing to do ANYTHING to lead this team to a victory.
  2. Having said all that, once we get six losses and a bowl game is unreachable, sit him and start figuring out who the starter will be next year.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1. After watching the limited series that Smith has put in, it looks to me like Mac was telling the truth and that Mini does give us the best chance to win. Outside of one pass, nothing about D.Smith has impressed me so far. My gripe with Mini is that he is a redshirt senior that has a less than zero shot of being a pro quarterback but he plays as if he is trying to protect himself. This is the last season of his football playing life and he should be playing with reckless abandon. He should sacrifice his body to get a first down or a touchdown. I see some good things from Mini. He makes some good short-mid range throws, he is getting pretty good at escaping pressure when not facing a heavy blitz, and he doesn't try to force the ball into triple coverage like some others do. The things I don't like are his tendency to lock on to one receiver and a lack of heart. I don't mean heart like he doesn't care about this team but I mean in the sense of self-sacrifice, He is a captain, a redshirt senior, and the starting quarterback, he needs to show the others on this team that he is willing to do ANYTHING to lead this team to a victory.
  2. Having said all that, once we get six losses and a bowl game is unreachable, sit him and start figuring out who the starter will be next year.

I still say Smith was forcing his play. It was painfully obvious during that goal line series. Look at the situation he was called into. His window of opportunity was small and he tried to do too much. The strike to Harris was impressive........ 

• Upvote 1

I still say Smith was forcing his play. It was painfully obvious during that goal line series. Look at the situation he was called into. His window of opportunity was small and he tried to do too much. The strike to Harris was impressive........ 

I think a lot of the same could be said about Dajon. Mac is quick to send the hook out for qbs that aren't from Iowa. You can say a lot of things about Coach Mac and Mini but one thing is for certain, Mini is the only qb outside of DT that didn't have to worry about getting pulled for poor play.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3