Guess Who is a GA at UTSA?

All About UNT

Nice biography on Giovanni.  He put up nice numbers while playing for UNT.  Not sure what happened to make him transfer.

It would be nice if our Head Coach could recruit a player with stats out of high school.  He didn't do a bad job while at Unt either.

Edited by DeepGreen

Can someone refresh my memory as to why he left?

I believe his departure coincided with Riley's arrival.  He'd been getting the shit beat out of him for two years scrambling about behind a line more porous than (decency prevailed and I redacted this analogy), his dad was pissed and butting in, his coach was Todd Dodge, and Todd Dodge's son, the second coming of football Jesus Christ had just arrived on campus.  

I don't know what my opinion on Vizza is.  There are definitely mixed feelings on him on this board.

I believe his departure coincided with Riley's arrival.  He'd been getting the shit beat out of him for two years scrambling about behind a line more porous than (decency prevailed and I redacted this analogy), his dad was pissed and butting in, his coach was Todd Dodge, and Todd Dodge's son, the second coming of football Jesus Christ had just arrived on campus.  

I don't know what my opinion on Vizza is.  There are definitely mixed feelings on him on this board.

When he left did he ever play again?

You know what we don't need around here?

He got spooked when Riley committed because Riley's dad was the coach.  Quit because he thought he'd lose his starting job, which I doubt he would have.

After looking at his numbers I seriously doubt he would have lost his job. I guess he doesn't like to compete for jobs. Oh well, he got his degree so good for him. Being a GA at his age has to suck though.

He ended up having pretty bad blood with the Coach. It was always implied to me that there was a lot more than merely Todd Dodge Junior coming in.... but, that Vizza would be pushed out... why? because we still weren't winning games with him.    

Vizza would have been our record holder for passing if he stayed all four years.

He got spooked when Riley committed because Riley's dad was the coach.  Quit because he thought he'd lose his starting job, which I doubt he would have.

Vizza was still here a year after Riley was on the roster.  Some have suggested he thought he'd lose his job after seeing Riley throw in practice.  If he ever did, it wouldn't have been for long.  By the beginning of 2010, Riley was permanently (or so we thought) moved to WR.

Vizza said the reason he left is that he couldn't take all the losing.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

He was the best passing QB we have had here as a FBS program. But the beating that he took behind that woeful OL of Dodge's offense, as well as the gameplan, just crushed the kid. I think the facilities here at the time played a big part in all of it, too, for both he and his dad. Fouts was worse than anything he played at in high school at Alamo Heights, which is San Antonio's version of Southlake Carroll or Coppell.

I think they got paranoid about Riley coming in--and sadly, they were probably right to feel that way. The coach and the fans would have been ready to put Riley in as soon as Vizza had a bad stretch. Vizza looked the part--good size, good arm, and accurate downfield...but as with most things North Texas Football related, his potential was probably never going to be reached with the situation as it was. Vizza never should have come here--he'd have been much better off playing at Nevada, where he was likely headed before Dodge swooped in and got him.

• Upvote 1

I wish it would've worked out for the guy here. He did play his heart out. I don't want to be too blunt and it was probably a joint decision with his father, but he had high aspirations and losing was baked in here. I'll never forget how he smoked Navy for over 420 yards his freshman year. His dad was an ass and should've been stoned by the fanbase but while he was here Gio lit it up on a bunch of sorry teams and blazed off into the sunset because he was afraid Dodge would weed him out in favor of Riley..

Wasn't he also high school buddies with Sam Dibrell, whom Todd Dodge saw fit to run off campus because drugs are bad, m'kay?

• Upvote 3