MGB: Dan McCarney presser notes with McNulty, Kirby video

Brett Vito

His twitter infuriates me. I just want to reply to everything with "If you're so committed to winning then why don't we win more" or something along those lines. He just cheers on the team, says dumb inspirational crap about how losing is an opportunity to learn. He must be Stephen Hawking at this point with all the "learning" he's done in his career

You know... You can reply to his tweets that way if you want. What is stopping you?

• Upvote 3

I quit some time ago. It's nauseating. We have a bottom 5 athletic program in the country and he vomits out words like "commitment" or "winning" or "improvement". I think he is senile, honestly. The booze has got him mentally twisted. How this man got where he is in life in general is kind of a head scratcher. It's almost commendable. 

I am really tied of this accusation being thrown out there with zero proof.  It is a big accusation.  Either post proof or stop making it.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think Mac is a good guy who is doing what he knows and it isn't working. 

He's not the first coach to come in here and think he can make it happen here and it hasn't worked out. Won't be the last. It's why I'm hesitant to bring any anyone from a P5 program. They just don't know what it takes to win here. 

I came to the realization that his style will work when he has a very experienced team that knows what to do. It's how his defense can play fast, and special teams can make plays, and how the offense won't make mistakes and lose games for him. He would have done well here with a few of Dickey's teams too.

But when the team has inexperience, it just is too passive to win. The defense doesn't take chances so when they are trying to read the game they react too slowly. The offense plays it careful so when they make mistakes, they aren't explosive enough to keep it close. And when special teams doesn't make big plays, we get further behind. 

And I agree, the next coach here needs to know what they are getting into. They can't just see, wow school in Texas, with so many students and a nice stadium, this will be easy.

They have to know, that it has never been easy here, and that you'll have to be good multiple years for it to take off (we assume since it really hasn't happened)

And I agree, the next coach here needs to know what they are getting into. They can't just see, wow school in Texas, with so many students and a nice stadium, this will be easy.

They have to know, that it has never been easy here, and that you'll have to be good multiple years for it to take off (we assume since it really hasn't happened)

ding, ding, ding.  Folks, I've been saying this for years. The last two coaches that really had any idea of what they were getting into were Hayden Fry, and Corky Nelson. YOU CANNOT be successful here because you were a good (maybe even great) coach somewhere else. It takes a dual effort by the head coach AND the AD to make a difference here. Hayden Fry was able to do that because he was both head coach AND AD. 

You have to be simultaneously working on changing the culture whilst changing the won/loss record.

Even if we get a coach that is the greatest recruiter in the whole US, and he's going after a player that A$M is after. Which culture do you think most appeals to him? One where he could be basically worshiped by the student boy/alumni or......our culture?

Hell (as indicated in another thread) our athletic department can't even get the "chair backs" done correctly.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1