Realistic expectations for this program

Harry

Our budget says that we expect to finish in the top half, to top quarter of the league in football.  CUSA places half of the conference in bowl games.  It's pretty clear that our administration expects bowl participation.  

I firmly believe that in most things, but especially college football, you get what you pay for.  So my expectations are that we finish in the top half of the conference every year.  We are not, and have not been getting what we're paying for.  

Basketball...we are sadly not as committed.  

• Upvote 2

You might also want to observe the number of people on the alumni side who traveled from outside the city of Denton. My guess is 3 to 1 from the outside, and yes they would have stayed sun or no. Do you really believe the students of ANY other D-1 program care if the sun is in their face. Hell breakout the shorts, sun glasses, and bikinis !!!!!

I agree. A lot of people wouldn't even go to games at the old stadium due to issues with crickets and urinals. This is football man.

Our budget says that we expect to finish in the top half, to top quarter of the league in football.  CUSA places half of the conference in bowl games.  It's pretty clear that our administration expects bowl participation.  

I firmly believe that in most things, but especially college football, you get what you pay for.  So my expectations are that we finish in the top half of the conference every year.  We are not, and have not been getting what we're paying for.  

Basketball...we are sadly not as committed.  

I don't know that I agree with the statement that is in bold. If they did, that would mean winning  in football becomes the expectation. I do agree on everything else you posted, but that point doesn't really seem that true, to me anyway. If it did, RV would be gone--for all of the losing, even with a new coach, new stadium, and a new conference with more bowl tie-ins. Mac's ridiculous extension would be the final nail in the nail in RV's AD coffin--just because he gave out an extension that is not reasonable to be bought out without a substantial change and/or hit to the budget.

Your point on basketball is exactly right--and for the exact same reason as I listed above about RV and Mac. RV gave Benford a 5-year deal that was deemed too expensive to be bought out at any point before this season, despite three non-winning seasons, including one with the most talented team in our school's history that lost to a Division II team.

In college sports, you have two ways to lead an athletic department--to expect winning or to expect a balanced budget. No one in the country will out value our leadership, which explains how we view athletics. To expect a bowl team with that mindset--not to spend more than budgeted, certainly not to buy out more than a year on the contract of an underperforming coach--seems like a contradiction.

I don't know that I agree with the statement that is in bold. If they did, that would mean winning  in football becomes the expectation. I do agree on everything else you posted, but that point doesn't really seem that true, to me anyway. If it did, RV would be gone--for all of the losing, even with a new coach, new stadium, and a new conference with more bowl tie-ins. Mac's ridiculous extension would be the final nail in the nail in RV's AD coffin--just because he gave out an extension that is not reasonable to be bought out without a substantial change and/or hit to the budget.

Your point on basketball is exactly right--and for the exact same reason as I listed above about RV and Mac. RV gave Benford a 5-year deal that was deemed too expensive to be bought out at any point before this season, despite three non-winning seasons, including one with the most talented team in our school's history that lost to a Division II team.

In college sports, you have two ways to lead an athletic department--to expect winning or to expect a balanced budget. No one in the country will out value our leadership, which explains how we view athletics. To expect a bowl team with that mindset--not to spend more than budgeted, certainly not to buy out more than a year on the contract of an underperforming coach--seems like a contradiction.

The administration is making that money available.  It may be simplifying things too much, but on a basic level, they are doing their part to make us competitive with the top end of our conference (football).  Execution is currently lacking, but that doesn't make it any less clear what our expectations are.